Glock Talk banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts
I was "Marned" as well I suppose. 1/7th Infantry, Aschaffenburg West Germany 1986-1988. "Cottonbalers by God" to which the reply was supposed to be "Damn Fine Soldier". I still laugh at that to this day.

Originally posted by Rakkasan
11B2B
Bco. 1-187th, 101st Abn. Div.
OIF I
OIF IV
You guys replace 3-69 AR at Brassfield-Mora in late '05?

I think that may have been our 3rd Battalion... We were at FOB Summerall right outside of Bayji.
I knew it was one of youse! We (3-1-5 MiTT) were there Sep '05 - Jan '06. Furthest north we got was Speicher. Constantly heard of "going's on" up where you guys were though.

Jeff, Brassfield-Mora was outside Samarra right? If so, yes 3-187 was there for a bit. We went to Speicher a handfull of times on patrols and such, that place was just too comfortable for me. I liked Summerall for the fact that it was only our battalion there, we didn't have the pressure from the "higher ups" like a larger base would have. The only down side was the almost nightly mortar/rocket attacks and the IED/RPG ambushes in Bayji and HWY 1. That place was no joke. It sure gives you a whole new perspective on life when you are done.

My original MOS was 13 Bravo...Cannoncocker. But I spent my time in combat as a Forward Observer attached to C/3/187, 101st Airborne. RAKKASAN! It was before GPS, Satellites, Drones, etc. Did it with a compass and a map.

Jeff, Brassfield-Mora was outside Samarra right? If so, yes 3-187 was there for a bit. We went to Speicher a handfull of times on patrols and such, that place was just too comfortable for me. I liked Summerall for the fact that it was only our battalion there, we didn't have the pressure from the "higher ups" like a larger base would have. The only down side was the almost nightly mortar/rocket attacks and the IED/RPG ambushes in Bayji and HWY 1. That place was no joke. It sure gives you a whole new perspective on life when you are done.
Yep, just NW on the bypass. Our IA bn(-) stayed at FOB 7 a little more NW from BM at the old reservoir. Two companies were at FOB Omaha. We'd travel to Remagen, Danger, Dagger, Anaconda, and Speicher when needed. Tampa was a ... well you know! We enjoyed our independence as MiTTs.

Originally posted by Bumpadrum
My original MOS was 13 Bravo...Cannoncocker. But I spent my time in combat as a Forward Observer attached to C/3/187, 101st Airborne. RAKKASAN! It was before GPS, Satellites, Drones, etc. Did it with a compass and a map.
My question for you modern day Warriors is this... how is the Artillery fire mission handled now? Is it adjusted by a man on the ground, as in my day? :fred:
Is that man Artillery or Infantry MOS? Or is the whole thing done with computerized voodoo robot laser mind control implants with one of those visor thingys? :animlol:
Just wondering how the job has changed.
And thanks for your service.
All The Way

Nice to see a thread for all us ol' blue-cord 11 Bulletstoppers here on GT :)

11B10, Company B, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment (Old Guard), 205th Infantry Brigade 1984-1987.

Glad I did DLIFLC and got into MI...but, I'll never forget Harmony Church and remember being intensely jealous of those lucky buggers that went thru the 16 weeks at Sand Hotel ;)

Sand Hilton Baby!!! We almost felt sorry for you poor SOB's, but not really. Infantry Basic is still Infantry Basic no matter where you did it. My Dad did his basic during Vietnam at Ft. Jackson (pogue central these days).

relaxin' jackson.

Sand Hill may have been easy...and Airborne School even easier. But I made up for it in RIP. owie!

81 - 100 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.