GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new Glock and had to use the electronic 4473 for the first time. I know the paper version is kept by the FFL. This new system seems ripe for a Federal or State gun registry. Any FFL's here that can tell me where these e-files go?

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,527 Posts
Yes, completely ripe for the incoming corrupt administration. I see my future used gun purchases being undocumented/private party.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Kept by the dealer, either on PC or jump drive

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then why do it? Ease of storage? According to my regular FFL it is going to be mandatory as the paper versions are gone.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Then why do it? Ease of storage? According to my regular FFL it is going to be mandatory as the paper versions are gone.
The FFL in my area is still running paper. Is the move to electronic mandatory by BATF or is it a convenience for the dealers.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Combination of both...no paper files to keep track of, takes up less space...I currently have a 4 drawer fire proof file cabinet 1/2 full of 4473's. Thought about going electronic, but did not want the additional cost of a dedicated work PC as I had just purchased on for personal use. I can see it not happening...the electronic files is too easily corrupted, where the paper side isn't.

·
Caffeinator
5,385 Posts
I used it once when I purchased a heavily-discounted 3rd-gen Glock about two years ago at a big-box retailer. I haven't heard anything about paper ones going away, but who knows.

·
Director of civil unrest
9,181 Posts
For those that fear govt. tracking etc. with the digital format, what makes you think they can't track your weapons now?
And honestly, like burying guns, when it gets that bad, registration will be the least of your worries.

·
Anti-Federalist
18,825 Posts
For those that fear govt. tracking etc. with the digital format, what makes you think they can't track your weapons now?
And honestly, like burying guns, when it gets that bad, registration will be the least of your worries.

Private sales FTW.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Of course they can... if you purchased from a FFL there is a 4473 form. But having it digital makes searching for the serial number a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
109 Posts
30 years ago, long before insta-check, Portland Oregon Police kept info on handgun purchases within the city not sure where they got the info but I ran myself in their system (for training) and up popped the 2 handguns I had purchased in the city. Just saying I think different agencies have been compiling information for a long time. I mean when they do the insta-check do you really believe that info does not get stored somewhere.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
30 years ago, long before insta-check, Portland Oregon Police kept info on handgun purchases within the city not sure where they got the info but I ran myself in their system (for training) and up popped the 2 handguns I had purchased in the city. Just saying I think different agencies have been compiling information for a long time. I mean when they do the insta-check do you really believe that info does not get stored somewhere.
The model and S/N are not called in to NICs, only type of weapon, ie. handgun, long gun, or other.

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going all off-paper now. Private sales with no receipts. Arizona has no registration (yet) so nobody knows.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Of course they can... if you purchased from a FFL there is a 4473 form. But having it digital makes searching for the serial number a whole lot easier.
How, does FFL enter info into a data base? Does E-4473 automatically upload its info?

If feds still have to got to FFL to look up serial # I don’t see that great of advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
How, does FFL enter info into a data base? Does E-4473 automatically upload its info?

If feds still have to got to FFL to look up serial # I don’t see that great of advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once at the FFL, it is a matter of minutes searching a digital database over searching the bound books. And if the whole process can be tracked through the supply chain digitally from the manufacturer, to the distributor, to the FFL it makes it much easier to track down the 4473. Can be done in hours vs. days.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The model and S/N are not called in to NICs, only type of weapon, ie. handgun, long gun, or other.
I've wondered about that. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
292 Posts
So much misinformation...

Nobody goes to a FFL to do a trace on a firearm. The police read the serial on the gun. They call the manufacturer to find out about the number. The manufacturer looks up in their records and passes on the info. The police call the distributor who passes along the FFL. They call the FFL who looks up the buyer and passes that along. They contact the buyer who may or may not have the gun and may or may not know who is next in line.

In states with registrations, they just look up the registration, easy to trace those.

FFLs are required to respond to trace requests in a timely manner. If they look them up in their book or do a database search, the result is the same. If you want to hide firearms from the government you need to manufacture them yourself.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
I’ve used the electronic at the bigger stores. Why would I care if they know I’m purchasing a firearm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts