Electrical Question Panel Main Breaker

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jan 18, 2020.

1. sas-G19

sas-G19

FC:
    Mine has a "Main" at the top of the panel that disconnects the breakers from the power when it becomes necessary to work on them.
    -steve

FullClip likes this.
  2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Yeah, wish I had a big old disconnect under my control. Something like the ones you see on old Frankenstein movies. I may see about doing that later this spring. I would hire that out though.

[​IMG]

3. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

We need to be careful with that.
    Some of the older Pushmatic(Bulldog) panels and Square D QO and XO panels and a few other manufactures had what they call a split buss which were to seperate busses in one panel enclosure and turning off a main breaker did not turn of everything.

FullClip likes this.
  4. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Thanks. Should have stated it was generic pic for illustration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sullyxlh likes this.
  5. Duramaxsky

Duramaxsky

I would convert to a 200 AMP panel while you are at it. Be ready for future needs. Sounds like when everything runs at once you are about maxed out.

FullClip likes this.
  6. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Do you ever visit them in Prison?

FullClip likes this.
  7. FullClip

I've been thinking about that. May do so in the future, but want it to be well planned. Also add a disconnect switch and get rid of two of the meter boxes on the outside of the house. (used to be a duplex, so there was one meter per apartment and one for the well and furnace. Had that changed about 15 years ago)
    This is not an emergency, but want to get that cable fixed and install a new breaker. Just ordered one on-line. They don't make them anymore, so wasn't cheap. Maybe I'll take a picture of it when it gets here and try to find some immaculate grey carpet for the background.

flyover likes this.
  8. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    :animlol:I think they got caught up in an Interpol sting for pirated VHS tapes, too.

LEO/Dad and FullClip like this.
  9. Boundertom

Boundertom

Don't forget the dollar bill in the picture. :flag:

bbbarty and FullClip like this.
  10. FullClip

I'll have to wrap it in electrical tape.....

flyover, Boundertom and bbbarty like this.
  11. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Related; FullClip; We visited Maine a few years ago, road trip with four couples. Maine is beautiful, the coast and lighthouses. We even stopped at Kennebunkport and visited George.

FullClip likes this.
  12. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Speaking of pirated, we will be in south Texas soon. My wife buys up DVD movies at the flea markets. I think the going rate is 5 or 6 for $10.00. Folks selling have catalogs for you to look through and pick out what you want. Most of them even work when you get them home. Thousands of people at these things. Winter Texans looking for things to do.

pittpa likes this.
  13. davethehiker

davethehiker

I have two 200 Amp panels in my house. The place was originally made as a duplex with two separate meters. When I added the whole house backup generator I had to go with one meter. The meter and generator feed into a box on the outside of the house that feeds both individual 200 Amp copper breaker panels. There is a third legs that goes to my work shed. All three have switches within the left box that can turn off or on any of the three.

I have a buddy that is a licensed electrician that did the work for me when he installed the generator. Generator1.jpg

14. selogic

selogic

Entergy Corp.

15. FullClip

That looks nice. I thought about running the line from the pole to the house underground just to get rid of the overhead line. But that would mean going right through the leech field,,,,and that would be a crappy job.

flyover likes this.
  16. 308M1A

308M1A

They dont make them anymore, on a guess. The ones that conformed when they had a listing should be ok on old work. Unless theres some kind of overriding statement.

17. davethehiker

davethehiker

Mine is buried but no where near the leach field. I would no want to run the power line through a leach field. The land around me did not pass the perk test and the builder decided to put the leech field on top of a hill far fro the house and high above it. It sounds like a horrible idea but works surprisingly well. My septic tank has a pump in it that pumps the liquid part up to the hill top. There are alarms built into it that sound if the liquid gets too high. The house is about 25 years old and only had a problem once. The pump was not supported properly and was supported a pipe. The pipe broke. I had it repaired by a qualified "honey dipper" The pump is now resting on a concrete block and should last a very long time. Houses are fun. There is always something that goes wrong and more things to learn about.

wyntrout and FullClip like this.
  18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

You have a very low opinion of home owners. You do realize we are not all alike? I have run underground lines, wired multiple sheds before I graduated high school.
    I wired a new garage for a extremely fussy inspector. His only question was why I used 12 gauge wire for lights. “It’s what I had on hand from 500’ roll”
    I have two projects waiting for warmer weather. I used to do electrical work for my church. I quit because of liability. Expert hired, work inspected, my wife got shocked couple weeks later washing communion glasses. GFI not properly installed, metal conduit not grounded, 14” from sink. Finally hot wire in conduit stranded. Loose strands touching metal conduit. I tested, found conduit hot. We had to pay for a 2nd inspection. (Electrician didn’t charge to fix his mistake)
    There are two circuits at church they want me to fix. “Just tell no one”
    In CO there is a unsafe rental. I got it to pass inspection. But I’m not allowed to fix it.
    BTW I have a disconnect directly below the meter. Always had one.

Cubdriver and FullClip like this.
  19. 308M1A

308M1A

You always run the chance of an imbalance in the line pulling a feedback on the neutral. But a mainbreaker is supposed to kill the hot.

FullClip likes this.
  20. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

I bet the new meters send out a signal of the address when they lose power from being pulled

FullClip likes this.