close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Electrical problem (newbie)

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by 23glockrock, Mar 28, 2007.

1. 23glockrock

23glockrock

I bought a 2001 Yamaha V star 100 Classic about a month and a half ago. I've been learning to ride and last Saturday I took my longest ride yet (about 150 miles that day) with my father in-law. We had just split ways and I was headed home. Going about 60 down the highway when I notice my speedometer is jumping all around. The motor was still running fine. As I'm watching the speedometer I notice the odometer and gauge light blinking on and off. I pull off the freeway. I took the battery cover off and the brand new battery was bulging and steaming. I quickly took it out. Towed bike home and am now wondering what's next.

I'm brand new to motorcycles. What should I do to diagnose it? I don't know if it was just a bad battery? I think it's probably an overcharging issue from something in the electrical system. Where should I start? Let me say, I'm on a tight budget (I did just buy a motorcycle!) and I really want to find the problem using the cheapest option available. I don't want to pay to have it diagnosed if it's just a bad battery, but I don't want to ruin another battery if it's something else...where should I start?

Hopefully, I don't sound too stupid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lotiki

Lotiki All that is man

If you go to a Checker Auto Parts store, they will hook your bike up and see if the electrical sytem is working correctly, putting out the correct charge, etc. It is completely free and it takes about 5 minutes (if the clerk knows what they are doing).

It sounds like a bad battery. However, it could just as easy be a generator(alternator) issue. Luckily, both of those problems are pretty easy and inexpensive to repair.

Always remember, with batteries, like anything else, you get what you pay for. It is SO worth it to pay the extra 20 dollars for the "good" battery.

3. rooster31

rooster31

May be over-charging, possible bad voltage regulator

4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

That's exactly what I was going to say. Buy a good multimeter, they are great to have around.

5. 23glockrock

23glockrock

Well, I put in a new battery. It had about 13 V w/ the bike off, about 15 V with it running. I thought that was pretty normal. I rode the bike about 3 miles and tested it again. It was up to 19 V while it was running.

I was looking at parts at bikebandit.com. Is the voltage regulator you guys are talking about the same as the retifier & regulator (part #295562-001)?

Also, will checker be able to pin point the problem or just tell me if it's overcharging? The dealer wants $75 bucks to diagnose it. They said it's a full electrical check and they have to disassemble it somewhat and that's why it's so pricey...

6. rooster31

rooster31

the voltage regulator is the same thing as the regulator-rectifier. i doubt if a auto parts store would be able to diagnose anything on a motorcycle, except voltage at the battery

7. Lotiki

Lotiki All that is man

Any semi-skilled checker at Checker can hook up the box to your motorcycle. They can and do diagnose electrical problems. If it is a bed voltage regulator , It will tell you. Its free, fast and very easy.

8. RichBaker

RichBaker

19V is definitely an overcharging issue, get the rectifier/regulator and don't look back...voltage shouldn't exceed ~14.5-15 V when running, over ~2500RPM. Idle to ~2500 should be lower, than that, ~13-14V.