GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I get up to take the dog out and the garage door won’t go up. Breaker was not tripped. Reset it anyway. Nothing. All that is on that breaker is the door opener, two strings of Christmas lights on timers, and a digital clock. Unplugged everything and reset breaker. No joy. Both timers for the lights stopped around three am and were in an off condition as the lights are set for off at 11pm.

What’s my next step? I’ll call an electrician tomorrow if I can’t get it working by then.

Hellllllllllllllp!

·
Anti-Federalist
18,964 Posts
Swap out the breaker with another one. If it works your breaker is bad. Buy a new one.

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
I have no answer, but, right after we bought our house we had to replace the GDO, one day working fine, next day dead....(those double doors are damn hard to lift w/o the opener...)
Bought a "belt operated" one, so much quieter than chain.

·
Pinky Out
59,126 Posts
Cheap voltage detector.

6EFD3C09-F7BD-483B-A1F2-8335B8EA32D1.jpeg

Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
Do you have a multi meter or a way to check if you have voltage on wires? Open panel and check breaker is outputting voltage. If not bad breaker. If the breaker is good then something down stream. Probably a tripped gfci. Probably outlets in the garage are on the opener circuit. The gfci should be the first outlet in the run.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
How many means of operating your garage door are there; handheld/keyfob, keypad, doorbell type button...and have you tried them all? How old is the opener?

If like many garage door openers it's physically plugged into an outlet in your garage ceiling, unplug it and plug in a known working electrical device like a lamp into that same outlet and see if it works; if not you have a circuit issue, but if the lamp works then you have a garage door issue, either with the means of contol or the unit itself.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have had similar happen. It was a GFCI on an outlet somewhere that was tripped. We pushed the reset button and the garage door opened.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
OP, are those Christmas lights outdoors? There is much greater chance of tripping a GFCI when powering outdoor loads, especially when there is precipitation, fog, mist, dew, etc., creating a leakage path that trips the GFCI.

Reactions: 10or45

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GFCI reset?
I’m going to say your timers probably tripped a GFCI somewhere in your house
Do you have a multi meter or a way to check if you have voltage on wires? Open panel and check breaker is outputting voltage. If not bad breaker. If the breaker is good then something down stream. Probably a tripped gfci. Probably outlets in the garage are on the opener circuit. The gfci should be the first outlet in the run.
Have had similar happen. It was a GFCI on an outlet somewhere that was tripped. We pushed the reset button and the garage door opened.
Thank you Glock Talk! I knew I could count on you all.

Indeed, it was a GFI that kicked off. In an outside room off the garage in behind the freezer and refrigerator.
Thanks, again.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,281 Posts
I solved similar issue at niece's house. Outside outlets/lamp were protected by basement GFCI outlet near the panel box. Could just as easily been in a bathroom or elsewhere.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,281 Posts
Indeed, it was a GFI that kicked off. In an outside room off the garage in behind the freezer and refrigerator.
Thanks, again.
Are either or both plugged into that circuit?

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,355 Posts
I am betting it is a tripped GFCI somewhere that feeds the circuit used on the lights powered off the load side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts