close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Electrical Help Needed - Touch On/Off Floor Lamp

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Ol Timer, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I need some help with a floor lamp. It has no physical switch. You touch it to turn it on, adjust the 3 way bulb and turn it off. Sometimes it is very uncooperative. It cannot be turned on by a wall switch. Once it is tuned off, the only way to turn it on again is by touching it, if you get lucky.

Is there any way I can bypass the touch feature and have it hot to the outlet controlled by the wall switch? Can this be done with a 3 way lamp? I don't care if I lose the 3 way feature, I only use the lamp on the medium setting anyway and will just by the appropriate bulb. It is an incandescent lamp, nickel plated base with multiple piece nickel shaft that screw together to make one 6' x 1 1/2" diameter upright. I assume the switch is embedded in one of the upright sections.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
    OT

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

Not sure about your electrical skills but I'm sure all you would need to do is bypass the switch, I'd probably just run a new wire myself but either way you got to get it apart and find the touch control. Not much help but just my thoughts

3. bluenoise

bluenoise

I think you have two options:

1. Bypass the module that makes it touch-sensitive. The downside is it won't be three-way anymore.

2. Replace the socket with a standard three-way socket and run a new cord from the plug to the new socket. I think this would be easiest and it would make it a regular three-way lamp.

They sell the socket and cord at any home center.

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Those are both good ideas. I'm pretty sure the switch is in one of the upright sections. I'll try to drive it out with a wooded dowel or brass rod. If I screw up that section I guess it will become a table lamp.

Thanks for the suggestions.