close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Electric Coolers

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BE Mike, Jan 27, 2003.

1. BE Mike

BE Mike Millennium Member

Anyone have any experience with these? Do they work OK? I've seen them advertized. They say that they keep things 30 degrees cooler than the outside air temperature. Is that cool enough to keep sandwich meat? Doesn't seem like enough to keep drinks cold enough. They also say that they can be used to keep things warm. I was thinking of getting one to use this summer. I probably can pick one up for less than $50.

2. noway

noway

They can keep items as cool as a regular cooler but the only bad thing is it need E L E C T R I C I T Y.

I had a Igloo thermo-electric ( 30qt IIRC ) it was purchase as a gift for $99.00 by some friends of mine. I returned it after a month of usage and bought 2ea 48qt colemans from walmart with the money from the electic cooler.

I found out the hassle and cost is not worth it with the electric powered.If you just regulaly change the ice and keep the door close they work much better than the electric power one that require a long power cord or ac/dc converted plug outlet. I can keep drinks,sandwiches and other items as cool as what my re-frig does and only have to buy a couple bags of ice and drain the melted water off once in awhile. I also started using the soft cooler bags inside of the cooler and meats and other items even stay cooler.

YMMV.

btw:$50.00 is a very good price.

3. BE Mike

BE Mike Millennium Member

Thanks for the input, noway. The electric cooler that I have been looking at is a 16 qt. by Coleman. I was wrong. It says that it keeps things 40 degrees cooler than outside air temperature. That would be 50 degrees on a 90 degree day this summer. That still seems warm for lunch meat. I can get it for around $55. It does look like it would be convenient for toting around in the pickup. The places that I camp will have electricity even though I will be tent camping. I may just stick with the ole ice chest.

4. noway

noway

16qt at $55.oo might be okay as far as price.

I found with mine using a deli refrig therometer that the temp a couple of bags of ice vrs electric cooler was almost equal. I have kept semi non-perishable foods like eggs, cheese,bread,lunch, sausage in mine for days by only changing the ice and keeping the lid CLOSE unless I really need something.

Unless you have power around you 100% of the time, I would suggest the std ice-coolers.

5. hcook

hcook

We got one of the big Coleman electrics for a long trip. It does a great job, and you don't have to mess with ice.

That being said, it's not the best for all situations. We used ours in our van with the air conditioning cranked, so ambient temperature minus 40° was usually close to freezing. Plenty cold... At night, we took it out of the van and plugged it in (fridge comes with AC adapter) in the hotel room to avoid draining our battery.

If you plan on leaving the cooler unattended for long periods, or using it in high temps, the tried-and-true models would probably be the way to go. If you use it like we did, it's really handy.

HTH
    Hans