Electric Cooktop - where to buy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SC Tiger, Feb 18, 2013.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Wierd stuff keeps happening at my house.

Yesterday my wife is cooking lunch and hears a loud bang and sees some smoke (not from the lunch). Anyway, after a brief investigation we found that the cooktop had broken loose from the glass (ceramic?) surface and had fallen into the cabinet below. Apparently the impact caused some of the burners to move around, resulting in a short.

When the cooktop was installed (not by me - it was in the house when we bought it) the installer lacked mechanical knowledge and a functioning brain apparently. There are supposed to be two brackets attached to the countertop that support the cooktop. These were missing and the cooktop was just hanging by it's surface (which is glued to the chassis beneath). It was just a matter of time before gravity won that tug-of-war. The new ones don't mount this way - there are brackets attached to the chassis that support it so it literally hangs from the opening, but the chassis bears the weight, not the surface.

I opened it up and found some broken wires. I was able to get three burners working (of the four) but I still don't trust this cooktop anymore (plus the fourth one is pretty well gone due to the electrical short) so I am going to replace the cooktop with a new one. Where is a good place to get a new cooktop - specifically a smooth-top one? I know the usual suspects (Lowe's, Sears, Best Buy and local appliance stores - there is also a Home Depot but I don't understand why they bother with appliances honestly) but are there any other on-line sources or chains in South Carolina or upstate Georgia that I am overlooking? Any places where I can compare different prices?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Adjuster

Adjuster

3. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

A lot of that going around these days..

4. SC Tiger

I tried them but their prices are not that impressive.

I don't think there is going to be a "smoking hot deal" anywhere but I just want to do the best I can.

So far Best Buy has the best prices but there is a local store that supposedly can do better.

5. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Have you checked craigslist?

You can find some really good stuff on there. That's where we found our refrigerator, washer & dryer.

Just keep in mind that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

When you know what to be wary of, you can find some awesome deals on there.

6. PPinesRon

PPinesRon

We bought ours from Lowe's.

7. SC Tiger

I'm a little scared of Craig's list for something like this. If there is a problem it could wind up burning down the whole house.

I may sell the old one on there but it will be clearly labeled as "not working" and "for parts only!"

8. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

I completely understand that, but as long as the seller lets you check everything (plugged in, working, etc) for more than just a few minutes, I wouldn't worry about it.

ALSO it depends on what kind of seller you are dealing with.

You can usually get a feel for whether they are lying or not once you go to inspect it in person.

I've had to turn down quite a few before we bought our stuff, just because what they tell you on the phone/ad is not what they tell you in person - and years later, everything is still running strong (knock on wood)

9. SC Tiger

These have to be hard-wired in - no plug - so it would be hard to test it.

In any case I already bought one from Lowe's (or ordered it actually). Free shipping to the store which is 5 minutes from my house. Wife found one she liked at Best Buy and I went on Lowe's website and found the same one cheaper. Plus they had some other deals going that got me another 5% off.

10. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I recently bought appliances from Home Depot. Cheapest until I needed warranty service. They just give you a phone number for Maytag.
    Buy local, with a service dept if you can.

11. jsg34

jsg34 Blade Runner

And you are asking here because?????

12. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

When we remodeled we picked out what we wanted then I Googled the model #. Found an on-line retailer for about $150 less than Lowes, even including shipping. I don't remember their name. It takes a little guts cause you're sending money to some internet company but it worked out well for us.

13. SC Tiger

In case someone knew of another place (online perhaps) that I had not thought of. There are several online appliance retailers.