close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"elective" surgery, starting to get nervous.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonetodarkside, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

Well I am having two titanium rods removed from my left femur and hip. In 2008 I had a spiral fracture of the femur that resulted in the rod being installed in the first place. Now I have a considerable amount of pain in my leg which is believed to be caused by the ends of the two rods, which stick out of the bone, rubbing on tendons and stuff. I'm gonna have to be on crutches for six weeks after they remove the rods because there will be a 17mm whole in the top of my leg bone that will need to fill in. I'm worried that somethin bad is going to happen and I will end up with even less mobility than I have now. I'm 28 years old so If the removal of the rods helps with the pain and mobility problems I have now, it would be worth it. On the other hand, I can survive with the rods in place, it wont be comfortable but I can. I had a bad experience last time I was in the hospital, fell out of bed got 3 compressed vertebrae, so I guess im having trust issues with hospitals and medical staff in general. Anyway, surgery is on march 2nd and Im thinking about backing out.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I wish you luck Sir! I'm sure it will go fine.

I have a plate and six screws in my left fibia just above the ankle joint.
    Been there since '89. I daYUmn sure hope the screws never back out.

3. Gonetodarkside

Thanks dude, I got two screws just above my knee and one is bent. Of the two rods, the shorter one which goes into my hip, is backing out and poking into stuff.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I fell for you,....I really do! :faint:

I do believe the sooner you get it taken care of the better chance
    of everything will have at healing. You're still young, you'll be fine

5. Big Sam

Big Sam

Well... I'm no doctor but I do have about 10lbs of stainless steel inside and outside of the bones of my right leg (and like you, waiting for another surgery). After 8 surgeries in the last 3 years I have learned that pain just is. You can't see pain on an xray and it's frustrating to predict. I have had great docs but none have accurately predicted my long term pain (though they have the post operative pain down pretty well). My .02 worth of a suggestion is to get another opinion or two. You can do your own research too. Good luck. Hope your hospital food is better than I get. :cool:

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Wow,......I fell for ya Big Sam! I wish you well.

7. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Just put red locktite on them then they would need a heat source to come loose :supergrin:

8. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

I think you meant feel for you. I don't think you had romantic intentions. :rofl:

Gonetodarkside, here's wishing you well.

9. Big Sam

Big Sam

Thanks. I was starting to wonder??? :rofl:

10. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I hope you guys get to feeling better. I've just got arthritis pain to deal with, I feel for ya'll. Good luck on the surgery, the waiting is oft times the worst part, the mind likes to conjure up every possible negative aspect that can happen.

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Sure he did. It's Valentine's...the love is in the air. Can't you feel it? :rofl: :rofl:

As much as the thought of allowing a doctor to touch me scares me, I think I would go for it if I were in that kind of situation. I hope it helps. :)

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

DaYUmn,....I try to make a guy feel better,.....aw crap!
    Stuck my foot in my mouth again,.....:faint:

13. SheepleNoMore

SheepleNoMore

Every surgery is a bit of a roll of the dice. Bad things can happen with even the best Doctors. If the rod is moving it's time to remove or secure it. Nothing good can come of a titanium rod moving relative to where the doctor wanted it to stay.

It's a little unusual to remove rods, but if it's suspected to be causing pain, then removing it needs to be considered.

How is the hip joint itself? Will you need a total hip replacement at some point?

You have many many years ahead of you and I don't think you would be happy to live the rest of your life in pain.

Make sure you have a good doctor and follow post op instructions and restrictions.

14. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01

I had a microdiscetomy back in August. had never had a surgey before. never been put to sleep. i was a nervous reck to morning of the surgery... Also walked out on them. I Had the surgery less than a month after i turned 21, and i am extremely glad i did. I am only 87% of what i used ot be but im never in pain and had the best people i could imagine takign care of me.

I say do it if you think it will help you...

Stick with your gut on this kinda stuff

Alex

15. ranger56528

ranger56528

I broke my Femar in 5 places back in 99 and had a rod from knee to hip and had the same pain as it heald up...Had the Rod removed and it was the best thing ever,my pain was gone,still have the Rod and 4 screws in my dresser heeheehee..

Mine was same day surgery.....If it makes ya feel any better Iam haveing my C4 and C7 Cervical disc drilled,pluged and fused plus they are putting a plate in my neck to cover c4-c5-c6-c7 being Ive allready had my c5 and c6 fused back in 96..I go in Weds to set up surgery Date with The Doc,hopefully he will get me in Friday or the Nxt week,either witch way Iam screwed for 3 months....

16. Gonetodarkside

Your condition sounds very similar to mine, I have a rod that runs from my knee to my hip and then a second rod running up into the hip. Compression fractures on T5,T6,T7 which were veterbroplastied (didnt seem to help.) Thanks, im encouraged now.

17. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Where are you located? If you don't feel 100% certain that you have the best doctors in the world lined up then find someone else. Sounds like a lot of folks here could point you in the right direction!

I also recently became the proud recipient of a plate and screws in my tibia- The surgeon was amazing, and frankly the whole experience was amazing.

ETA: they told me the hardware can stay forever unless it bothers me or causes me pain. In that case they would
    remove it. So far so good.

-Stooxie

18. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Wow after reading this I feel very lucky. Best of luck Sir and I hope everything will go smoothly. These docs now days are usually pretty good at what they do, I would though, maybe get a second/third opinion to see if there might be better ways to go about this, maybe they can just sand the rod down a little and leave it there? I don't really know what I'm talking about but it sounds like they can do something like that.

19. SheepleNoMore

SheepleNoMore

They wouldn't sand it down. The could cut off the part the extends from the bone. Problem is the rod in the hip is moving. That's got to either be removed or secured in place.