Election, Mags, why not...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BuckeyeGlock77, Jul 14, 2020.

1. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I snag a Glock mag every time i hit a gun shop... slowly building my mag numbers without needing to spring for large purchase of multiple mags in one shot.
    Part of why i choose Glock for defensive pistols is the availability of mags.

jhc37013, g30nut and BuckeyeGlock77 like this.
  2. vetteman

vetteman NRA Member

If you’re preparing for a potential ban, it makes sense to buy 10 round mags also. At least for the guns you plan to use regularly. They will be hard to get if everyone is forced to convert to lower capacity mags at the same time. It is the lower capacity mags that will he in high demand in a high capacity mag ban scenario.

Buckshot Barry, Earl B and cgff like this.

3. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Local Police Supply here just raised their Glock mag prices to $21 ea (+) Tax.
    Dang up a whole buck, bought two brand new G-19 15 rd mags.

4. Nagoya10

Nagoya10

For those who think if Trump wins, gun buying stops, you would be wrong. Do you think the rioters, looters, terrorists, anarchists, communists, BIPOC racists, criminals, impeachers, politicians suing the president, police departments defunded/disbanded/rendered impotent, democrat states going full ahead on Gun and rights bans is going to all of a sudden stop? The USA could legitimately devolve into full on insurrection if Trump wins, which hopefully Trump will put down forcefully. Either way we need to be very well armed as it’s highly possible you will be on your own and deadly force may be your only option.

5. 835mag

835mag

I did an inventory of my mags a month or so ago. It was rather eye opening. It showed me where I need to concentrate on future mag buying going forward. It also showed me where in some instances I probably have more than a lifetime supply for some guns. I spent to many years buying extra mags for different guns and just stashing them in an ammo box or cupboard and not keeping track of what I had and what I needed. If you don’t know where you are with respect to your mags I would recommend a full inventory with records. I made a spreadsheet with the model of firearm and the type/capacity of mags and total numbers. Now I just need to remember to keep it up to date.

varget and GlockyQ like this.
  6. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Ha, i posted earlier today about buying a magazine every time i hit a gunshop...
    Just bought a G42 mag during my lunch break today!

cgff and GlockyQ like this.
  7. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Going to allow this in Gen Glocking as Post #2 introduces Glock mags and later posts discuss Glock mags, pricing, and performance comparisons. - RussP

8. cgff

cgff

Besides adding mags, I’ve also swapped a few pistols around, went to a 48 and moved a 19 added a second 30 & a 29 just trying to stay ahead of the curve with the upcoming Legislative special session here in VA. (August)
    These additions will augment my 1911 addiction

9. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

About a year ago I started putting together a collection of 10 rounds mags for all my semi autos.

Most think I’m nuts, but I have plenty of high caps.

Now I have at least one 10 rounder for every model I own. Competitive Glocks I have four 10 rounders.

cgff likes this.
  10. hypermuteki

hypermuteki

I went on an AR spree along with mags. One is built but in NFA jail and the other two will be built and I'm going to wait at least 3 months for those two. The silencers that I bought for all of them are the ones I'm worried about the most as I know those take a long time to get approval and if sleepy joe wins, I could lose money if they are banned. The 3 ARs will be done and approved before he takes office assuming the worst case scenario. I'll likely also buy another Glock 19 and a 45 as I have really gotten into them. I wish I gave in to my friends peer pressure to sell my Sigs sooner and to buy a Glock like all of them. I guess I'm typically the type of person to buy something different.

Only downside is that I may have to sell the car I thought I'd never sell. Well I'm also considering buying a truck or SUV. I used to go to the track 3 times minimum a month. But this whole end of the world flu and blm rioting which almost happened here according to the local FBI office has really got me out of the track car mood. I'm shooting much more than I ever did. I got lucky right before the rioting happened as I bought a few cases of ammo. Now I just need to stockpile .556 and decide on what to do about my car situation. Selling it and buying a truck and a regular 911 CGTS which was a better street 911 than the 2GT3RS.

Tldr: if Trump loses we still have time before the change in power changes hands so dont panic yet like me.

11. Earl B

Earl B

Smart move. I lived in California before and after magazine capacity limits. If you wanted to sell your gun you needed to conform to the magazine law and it was smart not to bring high capacity mags to the range. Magazines are both consumables and an asset class so it makes sense to stock up with a variety when you can.

Buckshot Barry and agtman like this.
  12. Bradley T

Bradley T

Do GLOCK magazines float? I never thought of that before...

13. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Yeah, I went through the Clinton AWB/'hi-cap' mag ban, but fortunately was stocked pretty well on both non-neutered pistol mags and 20-/30-rd AR mags before the prices on both types sky-rocketed by about 1995.

Back then, a 'pre-ban' (unmarked/non-L.E.) 15-rd magazine for a 10mm G20 was running between $85-$100, IF you could find one. :upeyes:

flyover likes this.
  14. flyover

flyover

I remember the same thing with the G21 45ACP mags as well. I think I saw some mags listed as high as $175.

agtman likes this.
  15. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I went into a local Academy store the other day to kill time while my Wife shopped next door.
    I figured I'd check out Guns and Ammo.
    The gun racks on the wall almost empty, 6-8 Long guns.
    Handgun cases, about the same, two Glocks, a gen3 G-17,
    and a 22cal G-44? not sure. Two other Pollimer pistols.
    Three revolvers, A S&W 500, 8" barrel. That's it.
    Ammo was just as bad, nothing left for handguns, What was left for rifles, was the high priced stuff. Shotgun Shells, a little of this and that no Buckshot or Slugs, except some Mini Slugs. I don't have the adapter for my Mossburg to shoot them.
    I ended up buying 4 shirts that were on sale at 50% off.
    My wife found what she wanted on sale too.
    Not a bad day after all.

16. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

The democrat gun banning folks will appreciate your use of high capacity mags lanquage. A g17 standard mag is 17 rounds. The optional mags are 33 rounds.

17. Biggy1

Biggy1

Ammo is and always will be key. If Trump wins, and I am confident he will, 9mm and 5.56 ammo prices and availability will take the longest to return to normal (pre COVID-19). It will take months, it will not happen overnight.

cgff likes this.
  18. cgff

cgff

I believe quantities may return but pricing not to sure, with all of the added demand of new gun owners, I’d surmise to say that the sub 200.00 a case 9mm will be mystical. Hoping I’m wrong

19. tallTexasdude

tallTexasdude

Lots of magazines and lots of ammo help me sleep well at night.

835mag likes this.
  20. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I am well-stocked on Glock mags. As noted by vetteman, my issue would be if standard capacity mags are banned and I needed ten rounders (seven rounders, two rounders, etc.). My state isn't restrictive, so I have very, very few 10-round mags. Just the ones left over prior to AWB sunset.

The one magazine I need to stock upon is my VP9 17 round mags, as they came with 15's, and I haven't invested. For Glock's, I might want a few more for my G20, but I have about a dozen now, so it isn't a pressing issue.