Elderly being scammed by their own family

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HalfHazzard, Oct 18, 2019.

1. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Trump Sucks

2. phonejack

phonejack

2 years ago I discovered my widowed mother in law had been scammed out of a large amount of money by one of her nephews. It is not recoverable. I exposed him to the rest of her family and he has been effectively "shunned". Folks, it happens.

FullClip likes this.

3. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student

Special. Place. In. Hell.

mc1911, flyover, arkdweller22 and 2 others like this.
  4. nmglock

nmglock

That is the reason my son and I don't talk. He tried but failed- I said see you later

5. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

6. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

It happens all the time. Family, or bad friends, usually.

That, and phone calls from India. I get calls from my clients saying they had to pay 400 bucks to “unlock” their computer with Microsoft.

Law enforcement is only 20 yrs behind technology scams.

FullClip likes this.
  7. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

It happened to my family. My brother couldn't wait for the $$$ from grandparents and manipulated my grandfather (who had dementia) into changing his will so he got it all. Mom got wind of it and had to hire an attorney to reinstate the original will that left the $$$ to her and her sister (my aunt).

8. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

I'm betting it happens more often by family than by strangers.

Sad.

jame and jimcorbin like this.
  9. OGW

OGW SAF

Caregivers are right up there with family when it comes to scamming/stealing from their charges.

One of my cousins spent the last few years of his father's life (my uncle) cleaning out what little savings my uncle had, along with whatever other goodies he could steal. No one in the family will have anything to do with him but he doesn't care, has always been the black sheep.

10. Tvov

Tvov

Webpage didn't like my Adblocker, so didn't read the article.

So far as I know, my family and my wife's family have not run into this - "family scamming".

In my fire department we had a related situation... a long time member passed away, and the FD wanted to make a donation to the wife to help with things. One of the daughters in the family made it known that she was in charge of all money coming in as donations for her late father, and alarms bells started ringing for us. The late members' family has a lot of very questionable people, very much including the daughter that was claiming all the donation money. So we set up an account that only the widow could access for money coming from us. I don't remember all the details, but we made sure that the widow got the money.

Family, money, and friends.... do your best to keep them apart!

MB-G26 and mc1911 like this.
  11. Adjuster

Adjuster

Kind of seems like no crime no punishment. I understand the elderly person is getting tricked by some bull**** story but everything is done with permission, by actual family members etc etc.. The account holder is standing right there in the bank asking for and approving the transaction. I don't believe it falls on the banks responsibility to catch these instances. Just plain sucks!

/

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

I read something about -

Parents using their children's identity to get credit cards and loans - then defaulting -

When the kids grow up they discover they have horrible credit because mom used their name.

It sure seems like a bank should be able to catch this stuff -

13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It's not uncommon. It a
    So happens that family THINKS a family member took advantage. Often just let it go.

14. teeceetx

teeceetx

Perhaps I'm too radical, but I think anyone caught doing this should be taken out back and shot. These people are PREDATORS, the worst kind of people. Preying on defenseless people is as low as it gets, and they should not be allowed to walk the Earth. The law, is unfortunately unwilling to do what has to be done.

15. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

Been there.....

My brothers are POS.

jame and sombunya like this.
  16. astepup

astepup

After my parents divorced in '96 my sis volunteered to "help" my mom pay the bills etc and promptly helped herself to around $160k. Now she's broke and not many people want anything to do with her. Both my parents disowned her.

17. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

My 64 y.o. never-married brother has lived with my 86 y.o. mother for the last 19 years. My mother cooks, cleans, does his laundry and makes his bed every day. He has her completely cowed and treats her like s*** in the opinion of other family members.

Does that count?

18. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Yes. See if you can check into her financial affairs.

Up until last August, I spent a tumultuous year as the executive director of a small assisted living facility, and I had to learn all about adult abuse.

By far, the largest number of abusers are family members, mostly by financial theft, followed by verbal abuse, and occasionally physical abuse. Second up, as previously mentioned, are care givers, and that includes the corporation owners of that facility.

After a year of cutting costs and improving efficiency, my company slapped the residents of that facility with an annual rent increase of 5%, or over $3000/year. In the case of our small, 40 unit building, that added up to well over $120,000/ year, AFTER I already cut annual costs by over $50,000. (2018-2019 saw a very slight level of inflation. Salaries went up 2%. Food actually went down 1 1/2%)

Now, I’m all in favor of the capitalist system, but this was blatant corporate greed, as residents saw saving depleted at an accelerated rate, and in two cases that I observed, evictions. My protests grew louder and eventually came to verbal blows that (thankfully) ended my career in that industry.

At any rate, as our parents and grandparents grow older, the predators come from every direction. Keep an eye on them, and trust no one!

MAG40 Student likes this.