Glock Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Hey guys, I’ve got a Gen4 G19. My issue with it is that if I pull the extractor back with my finger, it clicks and locks back. The only way to fix this problem and to release the extractor is to press down on the safety plunger. Then it just clicks back into place. I’ve read up on the same types of posts but found no real solution. I replaced the safety plunger spring. Checked the depressor safety plunger for any bends. Extractor has no visible bends or cracks. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Have you owned the gun since new or is it possible someone has swapped some parts out in the past? Are there any aftermarket parts on the gun including the slide cover plate? Has the gun been shot a lot or relatively new?

Assuming the gun has some use and is clean - based on the level of inspection you've done I'm guessing there's not any obvious carbon build up.

If you're certain the parts (extractor, firing pin safety and extractor depressor plunger) are correct for the gun I would suggest starting with replacement of the Spring Loaded Bearing (P/N 2714) and Extractor depressor plunger spring (P/N 33522). Be sure the Extractor Depressor Plunger is turned the right direction - metal against the Extractor and the plastic Spring Loaded Bearing against the Slide Cover Plate.

If that doesn't work my next step would be to replace the Firing Pin Safety (P/N 77) and Extractor (P/N 1895)

If you shop around the total cost on those parts should be in the $20-$25 range. Glock is great about keeping their spare part prices down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you owned the gun since new or is it possible someone has swapped some parts out in the past? Are there any aftermarket parts on the gun including the slide cover plate? Has the gun been shot a lot or relatively new?

Assuming the gun has some use and is clean - based on the level of inspection you've done I'm guessing there's not any obvious carbon build up.

If you're certain the parts (extractor, firing pin safety and extractor depressor plunger) are correct for the gun I would suggest starting with replacement of the Spring Loaded Bearing (P/N 2714) and Extractor depressor plunger spring (P/N 33522). Be sure the Extractor Depressor Plunger is turned the right direction - metal against the Extractor and the plastic Spring Loaded Bearing against the Slide Cover Plate.

If that doesn't work my next step would be to replace the Firing Pin Safety (P/N 77) and Extractor (P/N 1895)

If you shop around the total cost on those parts should be in the $20-$25 range. Glock is great about keeping their spare part prices down.
I’ve owned the gun since new. All springs and parts are stock on the slide besides the slide itself. Which is brand new, never fired. The slide is from JandL Machining Works. All of my old slide parts were swapped into the new slide. 3k rounds through the internals.

Spring loaded bearing and depressor plunger both positioned correctly.

What really baffles me is that when I pull/push the extractor outward I can visibly see the safety plunger click out a tiny bit, locking the extractor outward. It does not take a great force to push the plunger down to release the extractor back to position.

The extractor depressor plunger is not bent, nor is the spring. No visible damage to the spring load bearing as well.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Sounds like there may be too much play in the aftermarket slide around the extractor. From what your describing it sounds like the extractor may be moving too far and the firing pin safety is able to slip past it enough to wedge the extractor in an “open” position.

You may want to contact the slide mfg and describe what is happening. Do you still have your original slide? If you put the same parts in the factory slide and cannot reproduce the problem it would support the likelihood the issue is related to the slide.

Reactions: ragingbulldaily

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like there may be too much play in the aftermarket slide around the extractor. From what your describing it sounds like the extractor may be moving too far and the firing pin safety is able to slip past it enough to wedge the extractor in an “open” position.

You may want to contact the slide mfg and describe what is happening. Do you still have your original slide? If you put the same parts in the factory slide and cannot reproduce the problem it would support the likelihood the issue is related to the slide.
Unfortunately, I do not have the old slide. I gotta find time to meet up with my one other buddy that has a gen4 19.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Could it be that the original internals were from a MOS model?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.