Eggs Benedict

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by ChuckUles, Oct 23, 2005.

1. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

Today is the Mrs. birthday. I made Eggs Benedict using our fairly new poacher.

I bought this for last Mother's Day, used it then, and for Father's Day.

We're thinking that we're going to use it for all "special day" breakfasts. For those of you who like them, but have never made it at home, it's real easy! Especially if you buy the Hollandaise sauce pre-made; that seems to me to save the most time.

They're elegant too.

2. mont86

mont86

Sounds excellent, I love eggs benedict.Hell breakfast is my favorite
    meal of the day right next to lunch and dinner..:) :)

3. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

Where would one find this "Hollandaise" sauce?

4. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

Best served in a chrome hubcap.

;z

sorry, old joke

5. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

Neal, you can find recipes by doing a "Google". You can also buy a dry mix at the grocery store. I know McCormick, and Knorr, both make one. It's usually shelved where the gravy mixes are.

6. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

Some of the higher end grocery stores will also have it pre-made in their specialty/deli departments. I have to believe that there might be some in a jar in the sauce aisle also. Maybe not.

7. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

Hollandaise sauce is SOOOOO easy to make!

To make enough for 2 servings of eggs Benedict you need 1 stick of butter and 3 egg yolks. If you have 1 or 2 drops of lemon juice you can add that, but it's not essential.

Whiz up the yolks in a blender. Melt the stick of butter (I use the microwave, but stove top is fine, too). With the blender running SLOWLY pour in the butter (if you do it fast the heat of the butter will cook the egg yolk.) Add the lemon juce, if applicable, and you're all done. Couldn't be easier.

My wife's favorite breakfast is one of my specialities, South Western Eggs Benedict.

Instead of English muffins, you use jalepeno corn bread. Instead of Canadian bacon you use sliced tomato and avacado. Then the poached eggs, then, using the holandaise recipie above, throw 2 big spoonfuls of salsa into the blender too and pour your holandaise salsa all over the top, man you got a good breakfast. (Don't tell my wife, but i invented this whilst dating a vegitarian back in the day). You could probably add chorizo or something if you HAVE to have meat.

Or just serve scrapple on the side!

8. nickg

nickg

ugh...that pacakaged stuff is just horrible.

one of these mornings though i'll get adventurous and try making my own.

9. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

So Hollandaise sauce is just raw egg yokes blended with melted butter, and a few drop of lemon juice? Then you pour this over poached eggs on english muffins?

10. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

With Canadian Bacon- don't forget the Canadian Bacon. MMMMMmmmmm Bacon......

11. FlaChef

FlaChef Steyroid

negative the yolks have to get cooked. Some do it by using hot butter, but too hot and it will curdle the egss (scrambling them basicly). Adding an acid (wine, vinegar or lemon juice) can also render it safe by killing off bacteria through PH.

technicly traditionalists will say you have to use clarified butter, I've seen it done reliably w/ softened butter (but yolks needed to be pre cooked). Using whole (as in seperated and clumpy) melted butter will result in a lack of smoothness but if you don't mind it is an easy way.

the "pure" way is definitely a learned skill and requires a good bit of judgement.

12. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

Tried Eggs Benedict in a restaurant today. It was VERY good. :)