Effectivness of compact CCW Handguns .45 ACP vs .40 S&W..?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by .45fanatic, Oct 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. .45fanatic

.45fanatic

In a platform such as the Glock 30 with the short barrel and the velocity loss does it still have more power than say a .40 S&W in a G-23 platform I have often wondered if .45 acp has much of an advantage over the .40 cal when being launched from a smaller CCW platform..?

2. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

You can compare the velocity and energy specs of both rounds. Both rounds and guns are great for CCW in my opinion, but both guns, and rounds have their advantages and disadvantages, which is something you have to figure out for yourself to see what suits you better. Barrel length won't matter much at short distances. Many shoot small Glocks such as the 30, 27, or 26 better than the bigger versions. In case you ever get in a defensive situation with your firearm to stop a threat, make sure you remain cool and aim properly (easier said than done). Even a .380 will be lethal if you place the shot good. Good firearms training is important as well, not only the caliber. Many who had to defend their lives, and other lives with a firearm were not able to place good shots. They sometimes miss the threat by meters at close range.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

3. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Start with the premise that all handguns are weak. Some just weaker than others. If you want any semblance of power, take a rifle with an adequate chambering.

The "effectiveness" of a handgun is directly linked to the shooter, not the caliber or chambering. There's no significant difference for you as a shooter and defender, between modern ammunition and terminal effectiveness in the more popular handgun chamberings.

I have a 9mm G43 tucked under my shirt right now. I really like .45, and have a number of them. The majority of my handguns are .40. I feel comfortable carrying any of them, and I'm quite comfortable carrying a 5 shot .38 spl snubby in my pocket, too.

Carry what you can shoot comfortably, and what's reliable. Reliability is far, far more important than what someone will tell you is "effectiveness."

Concealability, if that's a concern, may factor into weapon selection for personal carry. A half inch or even inch of barrel is irrelevant if a smaller pistol means you'll have a firearm, vs. not.

4. JBP55

JBP55

Why bring rifles into a handgun discussion?

MSW likes this.
  5. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I think a lot will depend on the round you choose. Old school ammo would gear their .45 ammo for 5" barrels, but .40 was more geared to the 4-4.5" gun. Today it is likely different, and some brands even offer "Short Barrel" versions.

Of course you have to hit your target as some suggest, but I think this thread is assuming effective hits on target.

6. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

READ!

Discussion of what handgun chambering is most effective are mental masturbation at best. They're all weak popguns. If you want power, bring a rifle.

If you're relegated to a handgun, then it doesn't really matter if you have 9mm, .40, .45 acp. It really doesn't. Pick what you can shoot and control and afford, and put it in a weapon that's reliable.

The issue of getting rounds on target is relevant as well; someone may find that they're comfortable with a 9mm, but not .40, as many of the posters on this site will say. .40 is too "snappy" for them, and consequently, their choice of chambering is dictated by controllability, too. A round isn't effective at all if one can't control it or use it accurately and effectively. Any of the modern loadings will do the job if they can be delivered on target. Judging from the vast majority of police shootings, in which many rounds are fired but very few hit...even professionals tend to miss a lot more than they hit. Keep that in mind when selecting a weapon, ammunition, and in budgeting the ammo and time to learn to use the weapon properly.

There are too many stupid, trite ideas floating around like ".45 ACP, because shooting twice is just silly," or the notion that a "heavy" bullet like a 230 gn. will knock someone over. They don't. They're only as effective as the shooter, and if they can all be put on target by the shooter, then they're all fairly weak efforts, at best, and all do about the same. It comes down not to one chambering or caliber being more effective, but personal preference. If you're not shooting a rifle, then choice of 9mm, .40, .45acp, etc, really doesn't matter much other than preference.

todd_g likes this.
  7. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

IMO 40 S&W premium HP bullets are close to equivalent 45 acp bullets.
    Ex: very little difference in 180 gr. HST 40 and 230 gr. HST 45.

8. fldawgfan

fldawgfan

9 & .40 may expand, but .45 never shrinks. That being said, shoot whatever you can control and get shots on target.

9. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

This is all a matter of choosing what compromises you're willing to make. Fortunately for me the G27 met or exceeded all my criteria for a compact concealed carry handgun.
    The bonus is with the conversion barrel I can plink with 9's all day long too if I wanted to. ;-)
    The 27 is hard to beat objectively IMO in this category.

packinaglock and pspez like this.
  10. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

They both make big holes. Any hollow point in those calibers will do the job if you can shoot straight.

11. Glock 23 Nutter

Glock 23 Nutter

GLOCK Compact CCW/SD Pistol w/ H/C subsonic ammo:

G23/180gr./HST.... = 1010 FPS/ 408 LB-FT
    G36/230gr+P/HST = 0890 FPS/ 404 LB-FT

"Only your hairdresser knows for sure..."

Nutter

12. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Prefer the 26/27/33 over my (2) 30s. For carry and the one shot between the eyes the G33 would for me be the most adequate.
    Unfortunately when one begins the hobby of shooting and competition we choose calibers that offer easier deficits to our pocket book and ability to shoot and reload inexpensively. In defense of family and oneself new light and knowledge replaces ignorance and the truth exists.

13. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

According to this, it does, especially if you consider the PF for comparable sized bullets, such as 180 gr 40 S&W to 185 gr 45 acp. Some of the 45 acp Cor-bon has PF ratings to 200 out of a 3" barrel, and that's the tested numbers. There isn't even a 3" barrel test for 40 S&W, but looking at the ballistic tables for that round out of a 3" barrel, PF for a 40 S&W from the best load comes in around 184. Even though the hotter 45 acp SD loads come in just a little higher in PF than the 40 S&W does, it takes less than what either offer, power wise, to stop a human if shot in the right spot.

14. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

And if it doesn't expand it's going to make a nice, clean, shoot through wound that is going to be terribly ineffective as a stopper.

16. Rocky7

Thats why a shot between the eyes should be your goal, too many use the big bullet as an excuse for poor marksmanship.

17. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Yes, because making such a precise shot on a likely moving target, while possibly having a weapon pointed at you are being shot at, is easy as pie.

In a situation, it's going to be a combination of a lot of different factors, and all will need to play their part as best as possible. Otherwise, we'd all be packing .22lr.

harold63 and Bruce M like this.
  18. Rocky7

Then if the shooter is a good shot, YOU are dead, no need to worry about your shot or ducking!

19. Bruce M

Bruce M

I sort of like the idea of whatever one can shoot best and the parallel idea that there is a lot more similarity than there is difference between the various current widely used rounds in the common handgun calibers.

HGxyz likes this.
  20. smokey45

smokey45

I'm not a student of statistics, but I can't ignore them either. On a static range I can make head shots from the holster in well under three seconds at 10 yds pretty much on demand. It's estimated that under "fight of flight" conditions those skills would deteriorate as much as 70%. Add to that, both parties will likely be moving, & perhaps poor lighting. What does anyone honestly think the odds of making a first hit head shot? I'm not sure of the numbers, but it would be damned unlikely. That's why we are taught to shoot for the big targets when presented to us, COM. One reason for that, to increase the likely hood of a hit. Hopefully before the bad guy can get a hit on us! It's extremely important to get that first hit. Although a good well placed hit is the goal, even a marginal hit can be a game changer. It can often buy time for followup shots if needed.
    With the above in mind, I want to carry what I feel is the most effective pistol round available to me, and make my practice regiment as realistic as possible. Unfortunately, action pistol is as close as most of us can get these days.
    It's a good way to hone our gun handling skills and accuracy under time pressure. Practice as best you can, and always carry.
    s45

Rock2411 likes this.