close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Educate me on carbon fiber knives

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock20 10mm, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I am looking at alternative knives to carry while backpacking / hiking and thought "Hey! Carbon fiber is light!!! Wonder if it makes a good knife?!"

So I found a few and damn they are expensive... but hey! Anyhow does any of the GT crowd have experience with these knives? Any do's don'ts? Suggestions?:wavey:

2. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

It won't hold an edge as well as steel. I personally think the idea is pretty dumb (they've been around for some time). Their only use is getting through metal detectors and most are designed for stabbing, not extensive cutting.

For hiking, backpacking a good knife is worth it's weight in gold. Don't compromise on that.

3. Wyzard360

Wyzard360

When you see carbon fiber in the context of a knife it's only talking about the scales on the handle. With most knives, the majority of the weight comes from the blade. There's so little material in the handle that if you're only worried about weight, I'd forego the carbon fiber, way more expensive than it's worth. If you're doing it because you like the look, go for it, if you're doing it for the weight, don't bother.

4. sigsauermaniac

sigsauermaniac

what are looking for?? folding or fixed blades??

carbon fiber is only found on grips....weight saving isn't much perceptible at this scale level...

i'd say a good bowie in 440C with at least a 8'' blade as bush knife,and maybe a folding like the benchmade 755 in D2 tool isn't overkill any time running the bush or trekking.

5. Deamer

Deamer

So all those sites that sell carbon fiber knifes on the internet and the ones I saw at the knife store aren't real? can you please provide some insight on this.

http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/fa/subcategories.main/parentcat/25000/subcatid/59409

To the Op I have wondered the same things about the knives.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  6. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

7. sigsauermaniac

sigsauermaniac

i also browsed trough that link, couldn't find infos as what the blade is made of-how exactly....

it might be a steel core sandwiched between two CF layers....dont know but i'm assuming it's a blend or whatelse...i've worked with various carbon fiber racing bodyworks in the past,raw material too, very stiff and light, but it still can be broken easy....

8. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Hmm, the idea was to reduce weight and still have an effective knife for cutting rope and other chores around the camp... fixed blade is preferred just because I like fixed blade more than closing.

Right now I am carrying a MkIII divers knife which is pretty versatile and does what I need... just weighs a bit more than I would like to carry.

I am into ulta-light packing. And the only thing I don't compromise on are my G20 and the ammo in it. Everything else I am trying to find that balance of weight to comfort/usability ratio. Now I am on looking at different knifes.

My logic was since carbon fiber is strong and light it might be a good substitute...

9. Wyzard360

Wyzard360

What he said. The all carbon fiber knives in that link are not meant for cutting. Those are meant as a defensive tool, purely for use in a stabbing motion (the edge is not really sharp, could probably cut skin once or twice before it went dull, but then again, so can paper). The op appears to be looking for something to actually use as a tool, in which case, carbon fiber blades are out of the question.

10. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

Change the handgun to a G29 and the extra weight goes towards a good knife :)

11. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Actually none metallic knives are capable of cutting, just not as well as metal blades do presently.

10+ years ago I worked with a company to design a non-metallic dive knife that would be capable of negative bouancy; basically it would neither sink nor rise if it was released. The idea being to have a dive knife that would do all the tasks (or many of them) but that would also not be lost if dropped. We used a resin based material that has the interesting property of curing with all it's "threads" laying in the same direction, much the way forged steel looks under magnification.

I can assure you it would cut, and could pry things open. The biggest problem is that a lack of mass makes many tasks different. This is also true of using ceramic blades; technique makes a big difference in how effective the blade is.

A big reason that there is not a lot of effort in this direction is that there are laws that interfere with the sales of such items. Which is sad, because while there is a market for such items there is not enough of one to make it worthwhile to expend te costs of developing them.

You'll note that the few commercial knife manufacturers who have offered for sale "knives" made using non-metallic materials no longer manufacture such items? It's not because they couldn't sell them, but because the legal liabilities overcame the profit margin.

That being said, I use a "plastic" knife in my kitchen, and while it's not great on meat and bone, it does cut almost everything else.

12. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

If it was negative bouyancy, it would sink.

A better idea is a short lanyard because anything released in water will be moved around, probably beyond reach, by the always-in-motion water.

I rigged a short lanyard for a dive knife that I used when recovering traps for a friend. I was frequently some distance from the bottom and needed a means of being able to let go the knife but not watch it plummet to the bottom. Hence the lanyard.

[​IMG]

13. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

You're right, I should have wrote, neutral. The point is, it would float at whatever depth the diver was at. And yes, a lanyard is still a good idea. (I don't dive. That's what the customers spec was. Whether it makes sense or not, I didn't care; just pay me.)

But, back to the original issue, it would cut.

14. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

The carbon fiber knives are a more contemporary execution of the glass reinforced polymer nylon fiber (Zytel) knife concept. Although some versions have cutting edge...they are much more effective as a stabbing instrument. Their utility is, obviously, enhanced by the non-magnetic nature of their construction.

15. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Cool, thanks for the info, the G29 sounds like an idea... but I like the capacity of the G20. As for knifes.... hmmm well it's pretty obvious that carbon fiber is out of the question for what I have in mind / need on outdoor excursions.

16. bfg1971

bfg1971

I have had two of the carbon fiber knives neither could hold an edge but the had a good point and would stab through drywall no problem. They really are just a "fan boy wanna be item." The only advantage they had was the nonmagnetic construction allowed them to be easily carried through a metal detector.

For a outdoor knife you want something that can both cut and chop so weight is actually a positive thing. My bowie style knife weighs about 4 lbs and functions well as both a hammer and as a hatchet.

17. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

you could look at titanium. Some dive knives are made of that.

18. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

DOH!!! ** smacks forhead! ** Good idea! Ironically I didn't think of that even though ALL my cook ware and utensils are titanium! I'll check that avenue out..