close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Educate me: how does trigger/striker firing work on my Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dandapani, May 1, 2004.

1. Dandapani

Dandapani

Help me understand how the trigger and striker firing mechanism work on my Glock.

When the slide is cycled, the trigger moves forward, but is the striker also pulled back any in a semi-cocked or fully cocked fashion or does the trigger movement move the striker back and then releases it?

Thanks!

2. newbiedoobiedoo

newbiedoobiedoo Lurker Member

Starting from the uncocked state, when the slide is cycled, the control profile on the slide moves the trigger reset out allowing the trigger ramp to pop up and is held up by the reset mechanism. When the slide moves forward, the striker engages the trigger ramp and is pulled back and provides the tension to move the trigger forward. When the trigger moves forward to the reset point, the trigger bar disengages from the reset mechanism which allows the trigger bar to fall once again when the trigger is pressed.

Allowing the trigger to move fully forward moves the striker forward to a "half cocked" state. This also expands the trigger ramp spring which is responsible for the lighter take up portion of the trigger pull.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Ok, so the striker is under some tension when the slide is in battery after cycling. But the trigger is required to move the striker back more to full cocked and then releases the striker to hit the firing pin into the primer. Correct?

All the other safety mechanisms notwithstanding, the striker at half cock doesn't have sufficient energy to cause a successful primer ignition. Correct?

You see where I'm going with this? Just trying to bring my understanding inline with my "faith" in the safety of the Glock.

Thanks for taking time to explain.

4. newbiedoobiedoo

newbiedoobiedoo Lurker Member

Correct.

While I don't know if there is sufficient energy in the firing pin spring to ignite the primer, when the trigger goes forward, it also engages the firing pin safety which blocks the firing pin channel. In this state, if the firing pin were to come off the trigger ramp for some reason, the pin would be blocked from traveling to the primer.

5. Toyman

Toyman

Actually, it's pulling the trigger that disengages the firing pin safety, which is spring loaded in the safe position.