close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ed's Red Gun Cleaning Fluid

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Awww :wavey:, I just had to post this here. I tried a batch of this stuff and it works better then Hoppes #9 IMHO. Basically, it's a 1 part each of

Acetone
    Mineral Spirts
    ATF Fluid Type 2 or newer
    Kerosene

I made a batch with out the Acetone and then poured it into a small glass bottle and added 25% of Acetone. Acetone is used for shotgun cleaning and will disolve plastic fouling. I don't shoot shotgun and own plastic guns. I tried it on my Glock frame and it did not harm it. Acetone will evaperate very quickly so I don't think it a concern but I will use the acetone stuff on my barrel mostly.

Pros

It's cheap
    Cleans nicely
    Doesn't stink like Hoppes #9
    Doesn't attack copper brushes.

Cons

Doesn't smell like Hoppes #9
    Not designed to remove copper fouling

Links below.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

http://www.9mmlargo.com/eds_red.htm

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

If I mix up a small batch, say a 55 gallon drum, then discover I'm not totally satisfied with the performance can I send it back to you for a full reimbursement of the ingredients plus shipping costs... Mr. Midway. :dunno:

Jack

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Midway used to sell a vs of it with Turpintine. Not as good as this version. So I say buy it from them and find out.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS

LITTIE STEVIE'S RED WIZARD GUN CLEANING FLUID AND SEPTIC PUMPING COMPANY...

has lousy customer service. May I suggest you find a different cleaning medium and consider cessation of all solid foods.

This has been a public service announcement. :whistling:

Jack

5. 380Seecamp

380Seecamp

6. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

I have used a modified version of Ed's Red for many years. Equal parts of low odor mineral spirits, automatic transmission fluid, and k1 kerosene. It is an excellent and fairly inexpensive bulk solvent. I store mine in an ammo can. Makes for a nice cheap solvent tank. Disassemble and dunk the gun parts, a little scrubbing with a tooth/paint brush and then close the can back up until next time. Don't laugh until you try it. Then again you could pay three times as much for a product called "Dunk It". Same stuff.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Even with just a patch it works pretty good. I had to buy ATF but besides that I had everything on hand. Glad I tried it.

8. kshutt

kshutt

I think I'll just stick with MPro7 & Ballistol!!! Not much for "home brew." :smoking:

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nice and expensive. Buy me a gallon next time you get some.

10. kshutt

kshutt

C'mon, Steve! Only $47.00 for a gallon of Mpro7 at Glockmeister? That's just spare change!!! :supergrin:

11. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law

Don't think you're going to win this one "4W". Personally, I might just try your recipe out (small quality) as I shoot skeet each and every Wed (still not worth a darn at it). :supergrin:

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I sure feel like a winner. The vast majority of my Hoppes #9 is going to cleaning the crud off the outside of my barrel and in the gun. Now I have enough material to make about a gallon of Ed's Red and it cost me 1 bottle of ATF fluid. Thats under $3. For minor lead removal it works fine. For heavier stuff I have learned other options in this thread. All way less expensive then buy from Brownells and paying shipping. So if thats not winning I don't know what is.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  13. cyberiad

cyberiad

I made half a gallon several years ago and still have a lot left. While it may not 'stink' like Hoppes use it only in a well-ventilated space.

14. mteagle1

mteagle1

Since trying Blue Wonder I have no desire to experiment with anything else.

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

It barely smells at all if you use Oderless Mineral Spirts. I don't even notice the smell. Regular Mineral Spirts stinks for a long time.

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

$7.99 for 4oz, vs perhaps $4 for a gallon. You guys are missing the point. It's not a specialized cleaner. For the record neither is Hoppes. Ed's red removes carbon fouling, minor leading quickly and better then the Hoppes Elite and other stuff I have tried that doesn't stink like Hoppes #9. If I use it inside I don't even notice the smell 5 mins latter in my gun room. I also just got some 10% Ammonia for $3.50. Big 32oz bottle. Read the link I posted and you can make your own Lead Removing Product 10% the cost of the "fancy" stuff and it's basically the same thing.

17. cyberiad

cyberiad

Maybe I used a different recipe. It's not so much the smell as dangerous fumes
    from the acetone that I was warning against. It really should be used in a well ventilated area http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts21.html regardless of the actual smell.

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

If it bothers you leave the Acetone out. It's mostly for shotgun use anyway. Works fine with out it. I am going to start wearing gloves when I clean things. Even if I used Hoppes. I'm sick of the residue on my hands. Either way the amount used on a patch is minimal.

19. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Boy, what a bunch of wussies... wearing gloves to clean guns. Next you're gonna say you use a ladle to pour lead from your furnace instead of just scooping it out with your hand like the rest of us do.

Right guys... guys... well, I guess everyone else is busy right now.

Jack

20. just for fun

just for fun

Where did you find the ammonia?