EDC in a Gunfight

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Themarinedoc, May 20, 2020.

1. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

Ever think about how much trust you really have in your EDC pistol if you were in an actual armed, defensive situation where you had to depend on your sidearm to save your life? If in such a situation, would you be happy that you had your trusty Glock 43 or would you wish that you had opted to carry a different gun from your arsenal that day. Speak from a practical situation not opting for your S&W model 29 in .44 Magnum. Under such a situation I might have wished that I would have put up with a little more weight and discomfort with my Glock 19 or Wilson EDC x9.

TGT, 1L26, jr24 and 4 others like this.
  2. surevaliance

surevaliance

I am more than confident with my G19.5 or G26.3.
    In fact, I carry G19.5 with 31-rd magazine.
    Discomfort? Not at all.

3. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

4. Orive 8

Orive 8

My current EDC is my Shadow Systems MR918 - 100% confidence in that gun in my hands.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Unless you are stupid, you'd wish you had a submachine gun with a grenade launcher. So the answer is, anybody with minimal common sense would wish they had opted to carry the biggest capacity and caliber possible. You want the most gun and ammo you can get, but you will never have more than the gun and ammo you are carrying.

That means the Glock 43 on my belt is a million times better than the Glock 20 in my car. If you can and will CCW your Glock 20 or S&W 29, then you should. But if you are going to leave that gun at home or in the car because it's too big, then a Ruger LCP would be better.

6. redbrd

redbrd

If we are wishing I would probably wish to be somewhere else.

Neldon, PennsWoods, Geneb67 and 26 others like this.
  7. hardluk1

hardluk1

Your concerned about a little more weight and discomfort with my Glock 19 or Wilson EDC x9 !!

I guess your carry time has been rather limited or you need a better way to carry a handgun than what your doing now . IF you are a marine doctor I have to stay your not Stupid but you might be lacking common sense .

Anyway it seems to be your issues not mine . I carry a a 26 to 29 oz empty weight pistol everyday and many times I find I'll do elbow checks to be sure its still there so I guess the weights not an issue . Ha ..

So figure out what YOU problems is but I bet it has more to do with a cheap belt and holster set up . Any how its your problem to deal with .

8. tango44

tango44

I will take my EDC to war any day!
    This is exactly why it's my EDC!

DrVlad, Glolt20-91, TGT and 9 others like this.
  9. fredj338

fredj338

I wont carry something I dont think I can effectvely fight with in just about any possible situation. Why I wont carry a pocket rocket or derringer or other such limited tools. So yes, whatever I carry I am more than capable with, contact to as far as I might ever have to return fire, one or multiple attackers. Imo, that is how to gage what you are comfortable with. For me it is a g26 up thru a 1911pd.

Neldon, DrVlad, NoStress and 2 others like this.
  10. RCJH

RCJH

I suppose we ALL would wish we had something bigger and better in an actual gun fight.

That being said.. I EDC a G19 IWB and I also carry an extra mag as well. I feel comfortable with that set up.

11. kwo

kwo

G43 will stay put in my gym shorts with extra mag in pocket. G23 or 19 would be at my knees . Would prefer AK or AR. or crew served weapon.

12. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I’m fine carrying my G43 for any situation I’m LIKELY to realistically encounter. Too many “what if’s” to constantly consider the ultimate carry gun. In a gunfight, I’d want a MAG-58 but that isn’t realistic.

snowbird.40, GlockyQ and DocPoison like this.
  13. PolymerWonder

PolymerWonder

If it didn’t trust it, I wouldn't carry it. You shouldn’t even have to think about this.

14. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

My duty belt weighed 34LBS! Not to mention the back issues and carry side sciatic and now bad leg/hip from carrying all that. After 25yrs, im in the LIGHT and simple crowd which clearly falls under everyones standards in this thread. And yes ive been shot at, at 6 feet apart and i have no problem with my decision.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    glock1097, snowbird.40, TGT and 8 others like this.
  15. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

It depends on the situation. It’s better to have a properly concealed pistol and know how to use it well than to have something that doesn’t fit for your day. I am in shorts with a long sleeved tee today thus a Walther PPQ 9mm works well. Tomorrow, I will be out on the road in jeans and a Glock 23 .40 works nicely.

glock1097, DocPoison and Gray_Rider like this.
  16. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

If you're talking about an overall survival strategy, I'd say cross the street or don't show up. If you mean where's the break point between pistols that really handle and those that prioritize carry over handling, I'd say a double-stack compact, like a 19.

17. rock_castle

rock_castle Stay home if you're afraid of the flu

I have complete confidence in my abilities and my carry guns, even the five shot J frame. Practice, practice, practice.

VIS07, Trench Sweeper, APERS and 12 others like this.
  18. -JCN-

-JCN-

I trust my skills and ability to work under pressure. That’s something that a lot of people undervalue and instead focus on equipment.

As @sciolist says: Focus on software instead of hardware.

19. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Just remember your best friend is to be aware of your surroundings. The times I've had to actually draw my handgun I was ready as I saw them coming.

20. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

A few years before I retired our agency conducted an off-duty carry combat course. You used your authorized off-duty weapon in a series of combat drills derived from actual off-duty situations from around the country i.e. drills were taken from real life situations that off-duty Officers/Deputies/Troopers had faced. Active shooter situations in big box retail stores, hostage situations, lone wolf terrorist attack, moving, running, barricades etc.

One thing became apparent rather quickly, capacity does matter. Yes, many stats floating around of 2 shots per average gun fight. The validity of those stats should be taken with a grain of salt. And often they only consider two people involved rather than multiple attackers. I went through the course with two of the Deputies on my shift. I used an HK P30sk with a 10-round mag with +2 base plate in the pistol and a 15-round P30 mag as my spare mag. Our agency 'strenuously' encouraged carrying a spare back up mag. One of my buddies carried a G26 with 10-round mags and G19 back up mag. My other buddy carried a Walther PPS with, IIRC, a 7-shot mag in the pistol and 7-round back up mag. Halfway through the course he stated that he needed to qualify with a different pistol. He ended up later qualifying with a G19.

The reason was simple, higher capacity is better than lower capacity. And yes, lots of real world gun fights only require a small number of rounds fired. But some don't. Since you don't get to pick and choose which kind you might find yourself in it's best to 'hope for the best and prepare for the worst' with the caveat that it needs to be within reason.

For me, the Sig P365 with 12-round magazine in the pistol and a 12-round mag as a spare is a nice compromise of size, weight, thickness, comfort and capacity. It's small, but I've trained with it and have confidence in my ability to use it. It was my authorized off-duty the last year or two of my career. Also in my carry rotation (for when I just feel like a change) is my G26 with G19 mag and Xgrip and spare G19 mag, HK P30sk with 12-round mag and 15-round spare mag or HK USPc in 40 S&W with 12-round mag and 12-round spare. I'll carry a third spare mag in my EDC sling bag. It's not as readily accessible but it's small/light enough to simply toss in the bag I'm going to have with me anyway. So for me, 12+1 rounds immediately accessible in the pistol is pretty much my lowest acceptable capacity. And all of those pistols, with the exception of the USPc were my authorized off-duty carry pistol at one time or another so I'm well trained with them. As far as the USPc, it's about the same size as the G19 and G23 I've also carried off-duty in years past. So I have confidence in my ability to use the USPc even though it wasn't my 'official' off-duty carry at any time (I actually didn't buy it until after I retired).

Now I will carry my LCP 380acp around the house/yard or on those rare occasions where I'm all dressed up and pocket carry is pretty much the only viable option. That's where the mantra of 'it's better to have a small pistol of limited capacity than no pistol at all' comes into play. But I'll carry a spare mag in an Ammo Armor case in my pocket. Is it ideal? No. But it does allow me to be armed when other choices aren't as practical.

JGIORD, BuckyP, snowbird.40 and 10 others like this.