Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Glock20 as an EDC

• Yes

Votes: 74 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Think this is very useful tool to understand what my EDC should be.

Votes: 5 4.5%
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to discuss the 10mm legal question with use of force for every day carry, and protection. Although I'm new to Glock pistols, I have over 40 years of handgun experience. Carried pistols throughout my adult life. What I would like to know is the legal aspect we hear happening around the U.S. on what caliber is the correct caliber to protect yourselves with and why court prosecutors put a vengeful disdain to large calibers like the 44 mag, 10mm, 357 mag. What are everyone's opinion of this, or if you have a legal background please explain.

·
Registered
13,072 Posts
I carry a G20 everyday and don't see that there would be any legal issue.
Now if I were loading it with 220 grain hardcast for trip to Walmart, then there might be an issue if I had to use it.

For urban carry I have 180 gr hollow points, but in a fairly light load.
When at our place in East Texas or any other place where four legged threats might exist, I use other loads that are more appropriate.

·
Registered
625 Posts
That varies so much by state and locality, you are going to get a lot of points of view as people respond. I think what got the "Don't use 10mm, the prosecutor will get you for OVERKILL!" thing started was the Harold Fish case in Arizona. But that trial was about a whole lot more than the caliber Mr. Fish chose to carry. To me, Mr. Fish had a lousy attorney, for one thing.

I tote a Model 20 when traveling to places with larger predatory animals. I stoke it with full power, full metal jacket hand loads that I made myself, when in the wilds. When I get back to whatever nearby town I'm staying in, factory hollow points become the carry ammo. The magazine with fmj reloads becomes my second spare, just in case a bear decides to dumpster-dine in town, I stumble across him, and he decides to eat me instead.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd like to discuss the 10mm legal question with use of force for every day carry, and protection. Although I'm new to Glock pistols, I have over 40 years of handgun experience. Carried pistols throughout my adult life. What I would like to know is the legal aspect we hear happening around the U.S. on what caliber is the correct caliber to protect yourselves with and why court prosecutors put a vengeful disdain to large calibers like the 44 mag, 10mm, 357 mag. What are everyone's opinion of this, or if you have a legal background please explain.
I hate to be "that guy" but, consult your attorney about this. Seriously. Internet gun forums are generally pretty terrible places regarding this kind of legal advice. The only opinion that'll matter at all is the opinion of the person who'll be potentially representing you in court.

·
Registered
13,072 Posts
The only thing you SHOULD have to worry about, is whether or not your shooting was justified. Key word here, is "should". I personally wouldn't' carry one due to it's size and potential to over-penetrate (unless you're running a softish .40 type load with a HP.)
:agree:
You nailed it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That varies so much by state and locality, you are going to get a lot of points of view as people respond. I think what got the "Don't use 10mm, the prosecutor will get you for OVERKILL!" thing started was the Harold Fish case in Arizona. But that trial was about a whole lot more than the caliber Mr. Fish chose to carry. To me, Mr. Fish had a lousy attorney, for one thing.

I tote a Model 20 when traveling to places with larger predatory animals. I stoke it with full power, full metal jacket hand loads that I made myself, when in the wilds. When I get back to whatever nearby town I'm staying in, factory hollow points become the carry ammo. The magazine with fmj reloads becomes my second spare, just in case a bear decides to dumpster-dine in town, I stumble across him, and he decides to eat me instead.
Enjoyed your post, very explainable. In my opinion, I like the thought of energy availability in a 10mm round without over penetration. Any ideas on the best possible 10mm hollow point with extream energy needed to down the bad guy without over penetration. Anyone have any ideas on a new and improved 10mm round?

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
Has anyone ever been convicted of a crime only on the basis of using big boollits to shoot a bad guy?
You might want to ask Mas that question. Do a search first because that question may have already been asked and answered. My guess is that it hasn’t. Perhaps some ******* prosecutor in CA, MA, or MD may have done it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, the use of 10mm boolits had little to no bearing on the case. This happened back in 2006. They tried to make it an issue of using hollow points without adequate grounds to believe his life was being threatened.

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Pages/casedetail.aspx?caseid=4266
Looks like the conviction was overturned and Mr. Fish was letgo! I’d hate to have had his attorney during deliberations! About 3 years in jail, that’s crazy!

·
Old timer
14,467 Posts
Looks like the conviction was overturned and Mr. Fish was letgo! I’d hate to have had his attorney during deliberations! About 3 years in jail, that’s crazy!
And subsequently passed away three years after release.

·
Registered
13,072 Posts
I really don't worry about overkill. I am more concerned with over penetration and hitting a bystander. Not even so much the legal aspect of it as much as just not wanting to injure an innocent person.
Thats why I use lite loads for my EDC G20 and only load hot when in rural or woods.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really don't worry about overkill. I am more concerned with over penetration and hitting a bystander. Not even so much the legal aspect of it as much as just not wanting to injure an innocent person.
Thats why I use lite loads for my EDC G20 and only load hot when in rural or woods.
I have a great idea for a new round that will expand and absorb the bullets energy. It will be called the spinnaker round. I just need someone like hornady or another bullet maker to get in touch with me... Very serious about this new round.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts