close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

EDC Flashlight

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by CLee0507, Mar 29, 2010.

1. CLee0507

CLee0507

I was up late a while back watching some good guns and gear vids on youtube and came across a review on the Quark AA2 Tactical light. So on a whim I ordered one from 4sevens. I had never carried a flashlight before and also never thought I needed one. A Mag-lite in various sizes has always been my flashlight of choice. I've got one in the house, cars, dump truck at work, they are all very handy. I hadn't gave much thought about an EDC light before my Quark arrived.

Boy is this thing handy. Small, lightweight, reversable carry clip, two programable modes, super bright on turbo, also super dim on moonlight mode which is useful. I have had it in my front pocket everyday and I think it makes a great companion to my other daily carry stuff; Glock 19, Benchmade Mini-Griptilian, and cell phone.

It's sort of ironic how I use it all the time like working on my cars to finding something I've dropped, to coming home at night to find the porch light off. I've actually used it so much in the short amount of time it is already dinged up.

The other day I was at Fry's Electronics and found a Fenix LD20 and bought it. I don't notice any difference in brightness really, pretty much like the Quark. I do favor the Quark because the clip is reversable by switching the tail and emitter around, also sits lower in the pocket. The Quark (tactical model) has a momentary on function that I love and two programable modes by twisting the emitter head. The Fenix is by no means a slouch though, its just a diferent UI. I have gotten used to it and would be comfortable with either one so I'm not saying the Quark is better just different.

Anyway, for those looking for a good cheap (compared to USA brands) flashlight you should check out the Quark or Fenix lines.

2. ABACABB

ABACABB

Was it the Nutnfancy review. Thats what convinced me to get it too. Great flashlight.

3. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

I have really been needing to replace my Strion for a belt light at work, just not satisfied with how it has faded into a dim light. Actually I have been thinking about going with two lights, an LED Stinger of somesorts and then a 2 AA light of some kind. Fenix has been up near the top of my list, and I have read good things about Quark over on Candlepower, just need to decide, and get the funds of course.

4. ChadSin

ChadSin

I have the Quark 123^2 and LOVE IT! This thing is crazy bright and has all sorts of lighting settings. The best part about the 4sevens lights is you can mix and match them to get what you want. And they sell all the parts too. Mines 240 Lumens so they say and I couldnt ask for more. O and you can get the batteries online all over the place for like a buck or so each.

5. CLee0507

CLee0507

Yes, he does a pretty good job huh? I need to stop watching those though, I bought the Mini Griptilian because of one of his vids too!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. ABACABB

ABACABB

I cant watch his knife reviews. I'd be broke fast.

7. dosei

dosei

Welcome to the enlightened side...

Those who have never carried a high quality small light can't seem to fathom how in the world it would be something a person would use frequently. But once they start carrying one, they quickly find it to be indispensable.

8. The Hawk

The Hawk

I started carrying a small LED flashlight last year. It is the Everyready 1 watt model. It uses a single AA battery and is pretty bright for its size. I know there are brighter lights out there. I am starting to collect them as well. I can not believe how handy it is. You owe it to yourself to visit Candlepowerforums.com. They are the Glock Talk of flashlights.

It is now part of my EDC gear.

9. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

10. What? Me worry?

What? Me worry?

I've been preaching the flashlight issue to anybody who would listen for several years now. It's a vital tool just like your weapon, a good tactical folder and a spare reload, which most folks don't carry on their person either.

Remember boys and girls, an armed encounter is a "come as you are" event. You won't be able to call "time out" and go back to your car to retrieve these items. You MUST carry them with you.

I've carried at least one Surefire on my kiester for the last four or five years. On duty, I usually carry two: A Surefire G2 on the belt and my Surefire L4 "Digital Lumamax" clipped inside my pocket. Off duty, it's usually just the L4.

Yeah, once you start carrying a flashlight with the rest of your EDC gear, you'll wonder how you got by without one.

Now if I can just stress the importance of a spare mag to you guys. :upeyes:

11. KenBGlock19

KenBGlock19 SEMPER PARATUS

12. KenBGlock19

KenBGlock19 SEMPER PARATUS

13. ranger1968

ranger1968

I also bought the Quark II-AA, and highly reccomend it!

It's putting out 206 lumens for about 90 minutes using 2 AA Batteries, which is simply amazing. It's using a Cree led, and a good reflector, and the light body is very sturdy machined aluminum, with a good steel pocket clip. The light is about the size of a AA Mini-mag, and fits easily in the front pocket of my jeans, clipped like a pocketknife.

It also has a strobe mode, with a 3-hour run time at 206 lumens and a "moonlight" setting, which will provide enough light to light your way discreetly, or give enough light to light a room dimly by standing the light on it's base , with a run time of 30 days at about 3 lumens.

These lights are good, and sell for about $60, shipped.

14. CLee0507

CLee0507

I'll definitely check out candlepower forums, heard alot about them!

I don't carry an extra reload, but I do have 15+1 shots. Right now I carry a Glock 19, Quark AA2, Mini-Griptilian, cell phone, can of Copenhagen, keys and wallet. I'm a t-shirt and jeans guy and with the exception of my Crossbreed Supetuck I don't like things on my belt. Everything is in my pockets. I don't even wear my Leatheman daily. If I did carry an extra mag I would probably get one of those mag wallet type holsters to fit in the front pocket, and I would like it to be a small one so I would rather have a Glock 26 if I did that. Which in that case with two mags I would only gain five rounds.

15. tim rose

tim rose

Everyone who carries a gun should invest in a quality light. You owe it to yourself to visit Candle Power forum and "see" what I'm talking about.

K-9 Ghost

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A good flashlight is a must have, IMO. It is one of the only things I EDC that can REALLY be EVERY day carry, even on commercial aircraft.

I upgraded not long ago to a 2xCR123 Quark Tactical in pocket + an iTP A3 eos on keychain. Awsome lights!

17. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

countycomm AAA light. tiny light. bright enough for most all my needs. only managed to run down the battery once.

18. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Not really happy with my Surefire E2D, I think one of the smaller Quarks are on my short list.

19. minsonngo

minsonngo 9mm wins.

LRI Photon LED Keychain Lights are good.

Can't go wrong with any of their models.

I have this one as I don't care much for extra programs/features:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/phmiiimimaco.html

Alot of people on Candlepower and other sources highly recommend them.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  20. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

I don't "EDC" a flashlight. I have them salted in vehicles and packs, so one is never far away. I like the surefure smaller lights for suit carry.