EDC bag/weight

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by KiloBravo, Jul 27, 2018.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I just switched bags for my every day carry/get home bag/patrol bag for work as a LEO. I switched to the Vertx EDC ready pack and it is by far the best backpack I have ever used. I have a LOT of gear loaded up in it with a little room to spare in the main compartment. That is a spot where I place my wallet, keys, and a sandwich when I am working. So keep in mind I have a lot of paperwork and different goodies I like to have in it for work, in addition to the other usual stuff.

Anyway...this bag serves several purposes. It is not my bug out bag, but it does go with me everywhere. It comes with me no matter what vehicle I am in, or what I am doing for the day.

I just cut a little weight from the pack by switching out a couple of items and it weighs in right at 20 pounds. Heavy for an edc bag? Yes. But it is more than just an edc bag for me

Anybody else carry a bag around every day? Ever weigh it? What does it weigh?

G19 fan likes this.
  2. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I haven't combined my work and my EDC bags, but my EDC type bag is 12 pounds (without lunch or my 1.5 liter water bottle), and my work only patrol bag is around 20. I carry the patrol bag and EDC book bag at work and only the EDC bag outside of work. If I combined them I'd definitely take my phonebook-and-a-half-sized legal codes book out.

So no, I wouldn't say 20 pounds is too much for the dual purpose bag. Especially with the variety of legal forms stuffed in there.

KiloBravo likes this.

3. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I'm sure I'm showing my age/time on the job with that - guys that have been on the job for a while seem to end up having a patrol bag slightly larger than a fanny pack.

KiloBravo and fastbolt like this.
  4. fastbolt

fastbolt

My patrol gear bag was a huge duffel bag issued to me. It wasn't large enough, and I supplemented it with both a bag and equipment case of my own. Until I finally got my own dedicated beat unit it was often a pain to lug the bags and cases from the locker room to the car and back for each shift. ;)

My daily veh's "just in case" bag is more of a fanny pack first aid kit and a regualr "3-day" type backpack. I'm just looking to have some changes of clothes and misc sundries in case I'm prevented from making it home for a day or three.

Now, when I'm traveling more than a couple hours from home, and for more than a simple overnight stay (class, etc), I have a couple more bags/packs that get added.

5. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

We always joked in the academy that if we wrote down and actually carried everything the instructors said "oh and put these in your patrol bag" .... we would need a uHaul trailer behind the crown vic.

KiloBravo likes this.
  6. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I have a bug bag in the trunk but I do not carry a bag around a with me everywhere I go. I will utilize a Hazard4 messenger bag from time to time. When I do, it weighs just under 10 pounds.

7. Orive 8

Orive 8

I have a "Jack Bauer" messenger bag that I carry extra "stuff" around in. You never know when you might need to save the world ;););););)

Mtnfolk75 likes this.
  8. Mtnfolk75

Mtnfolk75 A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....

My War Bag was a Leather Duffle about 26x12x12” for most of my Patrol Career, my last assignment before I Retired was in a Mountain Community with a River & Lake. My daily beat ran from 2,500-8,600 feet in elevation, my Patrol unit was a 4WD 4-Door SUV with a 12k Winch. My War Bag became Three Plastic Storage Tubs with interlocking lids, the 1st contained all my previous War Bag contents plus a Spare Uniform, Change of underclothes, Toiletries & a Sleeping Bag. The 2nd contained Mountain/Cold weather Clothes & Rescue Gear including a small Stove, the 3rd contained Swift Water gear plus several Bath Sheet type towels. The 3 tubs sat sidexside and took up the entire rear compartment, FWIW there were times that I used both the Mountain Rescue & Swift Water Rescue stuff during the same shift, my longest shift was 32 hours during a Snow Storm. Would guess my original War Bag weighed 20-25# while my Rescue gear totaled about 100#. Since I retired in 2001 my EDC Bag has weighed 10-12#.

9. Decutor

Decutor

My EDC/GHB.

Lots of helpful stuff, both for a really crappy day (together) or just convenient to use (seperately)

It weighed 12.8lbs

View: https://youtu.be/BFa62Xk548U