Glock Talk banner

EDC - Are you a TRUE BELIEVER?

12K views 95 replies 68 participants last post by  wjv 
#1 ·
Are there some instances in which you leave it behind due to the nature of the place you are at when away from home...or the polar opposite, places you simply wont go without old faithful.
I guess my goal is, to see how many people are TRUE BELIEVERS and how many are not (90-100% would be true believers that dont leave home without it) and the lower percentages those who enjoy the industry, sport, and hobby but dont feel it'd be necessary to carry outside of the home.
Im also wandering if those who do carry more often then not have more situational awareness (SheepDog Concept) so they can 1) avoid trouble before having to unholster their weapon or 2) if they cannot avoid it, they can do something about it until proper LEO arrives.
Take care, Dave
RIFLELOGBOOK - The snipers deadliest tool.

#8 ·
I have disarmed only twice in more than the past five years. Once when attending the Glock armorers course and once to goto the state DPS office to renew my permit for another five years. That is all.

So I guess I am a "true believer". :supergrin:

#10 ·
Yes, there are plenty of places I always carry and gun and even more places where I don't worry about it. The majority of the time, a gun in the glove compartment is plenty. A gun isn't what keeps you safe, it's just a convenient tool to assist. Helpful if you are able to deal with problems, useless if you aren't.

#11 ·
I generally won't go in places that are posted, purely on principle, even on the rare occasions I'm not carrying.

I don't buy into that whole sheepdog thing. My gun is to protect me and mine. Other people have the same opportunities I did to get trained, get licensed and get proficient enough to protect themselves. That they chose not to do that is not my problem.

#12 ·
do you guys carry something when you take out the garbage???, mow the lawn???...sit on your patio in the warm months???...washing your car or the windows on the house???

...I don't doubt that many do but I find it hard to believe that so many carry a primary weapon, secondary, reload, knives, mace/OC, cell phone, keys, signal flare, mirror and survival food for every walk outside (and sometimes inside) the home...more power to you if you really do...

...it seems for me that the couple times I recall not carrying while making a short trip at the last minute...I've had someone challenge me in the parking lot or at least not take "sorry, no." for an answer...

Bill

#13 ·
I carry RARELY! Mostly within the restrictions of my New York carry permit: hunting, fishing, trapping and target shooting, and travel to & from.

If I carried at another time it wouldn't be illegal, a judge could take away the opportunity entirely if I were out of compliance.

Do I worry? NO!

Do I plan to move out of state? NO!

And before some simpleton pipes up with, "I wouldn't live in such a #%€£¥&$@ repressive state! MOVE!", let me say that safety and quality of life where I live are as good as anywhere. There's a lot more to MY life than just carrying a gun 24/7. I've not needed one for self defense for the last 70 years and am highly unlikely to for the next 35 or so. :whistling: I'm WAY more likely to buy the farm encountering a big garbage truck on my little mail route.

That being said, my G27 in it's CBST feels good on my hip when I wear it, and I would if I could all the time, but it's no big deal that I choose not to.

OK wait a minute until I don my :steamed:-retardant garb!

#14 · (Edited)
do you guys carry something when you take out the garbage???, mow the lawn???...sit on your patio in the warm months???...washing your car or the windows on the house???
I live in a nice, "secure" neighborhood with a private, locked back yard.

I keep an LC9 in a Remora holster with me all the time...inside, or outside, the house. Right now, it's almost 7am and I just finished my morning "skinny dip" in the pool as I check my forums. I'm naked as a jay-bird:cool:, but the LC9 is sitting on the table beside me at the pool.

The neighbors are so used to seeing me working in the front yard with a gun on my hip that they never even comment on it when they come over to chat.

#15 ·
Normally if I can take it somewhere im legally able to I will be carrying..but for me with doing coaching and sports related activities with kids in areas(schools, sports arenas) i cant CC much of my off time is spent NOT CCing as a result. Again when im just hanging out at the house for the day I dont CC around the house as im normally just wearing a pair of sweats/athletic pants and they are not very conducive to CCing.

Normally if I run downtown to grab milk or eggs at the store on a day like that I have to decide...total wardrobe change(which would probably take longer than the trip its self) or just make the run...normally I just make the run....im thinking of getting one of 2 things for that...a small 9mm like the PF9 or LC9 or more likely cause its a LOT less $$ one of those smart carry holsters..just dont have it yet.

Now when im off and I know we are going out for the day where ever it is and im not coaching that day and we are going out ..yes then I will be 100% CCing,

#16 ·
I prefer a decent door to carrying at home; a gun is available well before someone gets through the door. I generally don't socialize at someone else's home where I would feel I need a gun. If I am among strangers I am carrying a gun unless I am flying somewhere.

#18 ·
do you guys carry something when you take out the garbage???, ...
Yes I do, oddly. A great judge who I knew was a victim of an attempt robbery when he was taking out his garbage. I say him the next weekend at a gun show. He said he was in the market for a bigger gun so that if there was a next time he would not worry about an arrest.

#23 · (Edited)

...I don't doubt that many do but I find it hard to believe that so many carry a primary weapon, secondary, reload, knives, mace/OC, cell phone, keys, signal flare, mirror and survival food for every walk outside (and sometimes inside) the home...more power to you if you really do...

...it seems for me that the couple times I recall not carrying while making a short trip at the last minute...I've had someone challenge me in the parking lot or at least not take "sorry, no." for an answer...

Bill
"signal flare":rofl::rofl::rofl:

don't forget a taser, baton and a big "fire extinguisher" size of OC spray like "dog the bounty hunter" carries...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

#24 · (Edited)
I carry only when I'm going somewhere that I consider outside of my day-to-day zone of safety. Last night I went out late to pick up dinner, so my G19 rode on the seat next to me. When I saw the sheriff's car parked outside the restaurant, I left the gun in the car. For a night-time trip to WalMart, I'll have the Sig 239 in my pocket.

Day time movement around town doesn't warrant carry unless I'm headed to or through questionable territory. For Interstate highway travel I always have a gun along; stopping at a rest stop means the gun is on my person.

Studying self defense has made me much more aware of my surroundings, always. I'm not worried, but I am tuned in. I live in a very low crime area, but classes I've taken, reading and thinking I've done about SD have caused me to be more alert.

I've always enjoyed guns of all kinds, but especially handguns. When I decided to get a CC license it was because I could, not because I felt compelled to do so. Steps I took to learn about about carry methods, self defense tactics and the applicable laws were done out of my sense of responsibility and accountability. I continue to study and debate, here and elsewhere, because its part of an ongoing learning process.

I'm a believer in self defense with a firearm, but the terms and conditions I follow are based on my sense of what is reasonable based on my life circumstances. I strongly believe that safety with a firearm trumps methods that many believe to be necessary for 'readiness'. I'm conservative in every sense of the word: politically, life style, firearm carry practices.

I don't know how to score myself under your system Dave, but I ain't a "True Believer" in the 90-100% category. Maybe I come in at about 50%, but I'm very responsible when I do carry and I feel very safe when I don't.

#26 ·
I carry every day of every week from the moment that my feet hit the floor in the morning, until the moment that I crawl into bed at night. During my hours of sleep, I have a weapon within one foot of me on the nightstand. I am an LEO, so there are no problems for me to carry at work, and most of the places where CCW holders are restricted from being armed don't apply to me. As such, I cannot remember the last time when I was truly unarmed. Even when I'm lounging around the house in a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt.... I have an LCP in my pocket. That's about as close to being without a gun as I ever get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.