Economy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by southernshooter, Feb 24, 2010.

1. southernshooter

southernshooter

Went to eat at a restaurant on a friday night at 6:00, we were almost the only ones there. Then we went to Lowe's to pick up some stuff and there were more employees than customers. Used to be Lowe's was self service only because there were so many customers you couldn't get help from an employee, now you pass 5 employees and each one is trying to help you. Its getting scary, some restaurants that used to be packed are now closed. No wonder I have several relatives that can't find a job. I'm lucky to be recently retired.

2. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I have found that the affects of the economy vary greatly from state to state.

Nebraska has slowed down but it is far from "bad".

3. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

Wow! You had employees trying to serve you at a Lowes??

That is getting pretty scary!:wow:

Haven't had that experience around here yet.

4. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

I guess location is everything. The county I'm in has the lowest in South Carolina. I've noticed lots of empty store space where small shops have shut down. My and my wifes companies are doing well and I'm actually busy doing 50 hour weeks. Of course it can all go to hell tomorrow...

5. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Yeah, but the upstate economy for several years has been booming to the extent that it supported small specialty shops specializing in everything from baseball cards to NASCAR memorabilia and every sort of fou-fou boutique gee-gaw vendor. And the local commercial relestate market grew up to accomodate it all. It was only a matter of time before things would begin to fall back a bit.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

We have to start making stuff here again.
    End of problem.

7. sputnik767

sputnik767

I bar a few blocks from me that I used to frequent with friends on Mondays for dollar beer night has just closed. The owners blame the economy.

8. NailShooter

NailShooter

This is the only way to fix things....

Nail

9. winder

winder Having fun!

If I go out to eat at 6pm on a Friday night around here I'm waiting an hour minimum. Went to the local mall last weekend and it was like Christmas. Economy is apparently not an issue around here.

10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Took my six year old out to the "Father Daughter" dance at her school and told her I'd take her to dinner before the dance...her choice. She picked Olive Garden. Not my druthers but it wasn't about me. Olive Garden had an hour and fifiteen minute wait on Saturday night at 5:30. There were over 100 people by my count waiting for a table...

Things aren't too bad yet...

11. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

One of our favorite restaurants around here is on the shore of Lake Erie and specializes in Greek food. The last couple of times we went it was empty and one of those was a Friday night. The waitresses were all standing around talking about their boyfriends. When ours came over to take our order she said the place had been empty all day. I fully expect to find the doors closed for good soon. This area was already in big financial trouble before the economy collapsed. For a lot of people around here it's getting pretty grim.

12. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

I'll receive my PhD in ChemE in August, so I've been doing the job hunt thing since last Oct/Nov and have been comparing notes with the other students graduating around my time.

The results are universally grim. I've had two campus interviews and one phone interview w/ no invitation to follow up. Everyone I talk to tells me to upload my resume to their website and wait. And it's not just me, two other guys in my research group. One has had one site interview and the other has had none. I have only heard of one offer being made to a graduating PhD since last fall.

PhD's normally enjoy very low unemployment and highly competitive offers. Not this year. I really think the companies are waiting to see how much damage this reckless spending will incur before they take on additional liability.

On a related note, if anyone is looking for a research engineer w/ experience in distillation and traditional chem processes, PM ME!

13. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

XO restaurant?

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

@UTKEngineer

I'd ask you to consider working outside your traditional comfort zone and applying at a few boutique distilleries. St. Germain comes to mind. it's entirely possible you'ld make good booze, and that's worth hoping for.

g'luck..

15. Adams454

Adams454

And stop having robotic computers do the work of 100 men. The more people the company cuts off, the less people there are that can buy product.

16. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

Most distilleries have their "master distiller" and aren't looking for a PhD ChemE. However, I appreciate the advice. I'm off to google St. Germain. Worst they can do is tell me no :)

17. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Last time I went out to eat was at Outback (sucks I know but I had a $25 gift card) Anyway we waited an hour for a table.

18. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

For the first time in my life, I am really afraid for our country on a lot of levels.

19. Tristan

Tristan Awwwww.........

Technology does not hurt man.......it merely forces people to learn/find other skills. Think of it like this.......before large farm machinery came along, a large majority of people worked in farming and people thought they would all suffer terribly if machines took over their jobs. But now less than 1% of the population work in agriculture, yet we're able to produce more food than ever and our standard of living is better. :)

20. Z71bill

Z71bill

What an idiot post -

Let me guess - never ran a business have you?