Economy, metal flip up sight suggestions.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ScottMn, Jun 10, 2020.

1. ScottMn

ScottMn

Preferably less than $100 for front and rear. Or am I blowing smoke up my own but and should spend the $200 or more for name brands.

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Are you going to consistently use them or are they going to truly be back ups? Are they going on a work rifle or a range rifle?

I don't mind Magpul plastic back ups although I did have a rear set that the hinge pin would back out while firing. They zero'd fine at 50 yards, they are light weight and will stay folded unless I need back ups or I need to verify zero.

Only you can decided what you want or what you are willing to settle with. Polymer back ups are fine with me as I don't expect my Aimpoint going down and if it does I can still engage with a good degree of accuracy.

3. ScottMn

ScottMn

Thanks , but they need to be metal. Optics ready with picatinny gas block.

There are lots of metal sights out there many from china. Found a Wilson Combat set for $109. Seems decent but I'm looking for other suggestions.

4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Ok.
    Keep in mind the height of the pic gas block may be different from what many sights are designed for. Paired sets usually indicate they are a match for A2 carry handles. If your gas block rails is a different height it can cause problems when zeroing.

cciman likes this.
  5. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Cheap ones from China, work fine for me. If I had cheap optics, would spend more on the sights.
    You are paying for bragging brand names.

UTG are nice.

billy_56081 and vitalibertas like this.
  6. vitalibertas

vitalibertas

UTG Super Slims are good to go. About $55 for the pair if you can find them in stock. They were $40 for the pair before Covid.
    Here’s the rear: https://amzn.to/30uYcGm

7. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime Previously Timmeh

I have some Troy offsets, but they costs $170.00 for both. Flip up and metal. The front site is the HK post.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Small, quality and cheap......so not go hand in hand

9. Tbags

Tbags

Often found on the secondary market at reduced cost if you are johnny on the spot.

10. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

I picked up some Ozark Armament sights on Amazon - $25

They mounted just fine! Haven't been to the range with them yet...

I have Magpuls as well... and these really ain't Magpuls!!! But they are METAL and are really sturdy. I can't believe you actually have to "manually push them up" unlike the plastic Magpuls...

See, I got the Jaw Jacking now - I'll let you know if I can get them to Zero at an indoor range... (LOL) They do have a bunch of good reviews!!!

Happy Shopping!

:waving:

billy_56081 likes this.
  11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I’ve bought 80% of the high end stuff I have on the lightly used market

12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Its been probably 10 years but someone did a torture test for back up sights on Youtube and the polymer Magpul MBUS sights came in as most durable over several top self metal sights...Not surprising really when you drop a rifle from 4 feet high on its sights..easy to see how the metal ones get bent and break.... But the magpuls were troopers--like a plastic Glock frame! Can take a lot more abuse than the metal guns!

Karambit777 and Pierre! like this.
  13. DrewBone

DrewBone

I learned early on in my life that quality has a price, whether it be regarding tools, clothing, etc., because seldom if ever did anything that I purchased that was "less expensive" offer any advantage whatsoever other then a lower monetary cost, in fact, the less expensive tools that I'd purchsed in the past always wore out prematurely, broke, or bent easily, and the less expensive clothes were made of thinner and less durable material that wore out quicker, had stitching come lose causing the separation of seams, and zippers that often broke.

My answer for avoiding such issues was patience and the phrase "Buy once, cry once". If you're in no immediate need for sights and don't have the money saved for a good set of metal sights, then wait until you have enough money saved to purchase a decent set. There's no harm in doing without until you can afford what you need or want, but it is wasteful IMHO to just buy something because it's inexpensive or because it just happens to be the only thing that's available at the time.

In today's day and age it seems that people just don't have patience anymore, being driven to acquire what they need instantly when it's not really a necessity at all. So have patience, for it is indeed a virtue - and a "valuable" quality in a person :)

faawrenchbndr likes this.
  14. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

I just purchased the UTG Super Slim sights for my new AR9. You can buy them on Amazon. They seem solid to me and are less expensive than the Magpul plastic ones.

vitalibertas likes this.
  15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Leeper/UTG bits and pieces are quite a bit better than they used to be.
    Still Chinese made crap that I refuse to get behind.

I’ll stick with an American made product, like MagPul, as much as I can.

Karambit777 likes this.