close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

economy hunting scopes

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Perrito, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Perrito

Perrito Millennium Member

I will be going on my first hunting trip in November, just purchased a used Savage110 with scope which doesn't seem to be shooting consistently. At the range, the point of impact was not consistent at 100 yards (varied by as much as 10 inches!). Anyways I want to replace the "made in china" scope with a quality one without breaking the bank. Any hunters and rifle shooters have recommendations. Thanks in advance.

2. Guest

Leupold Vari-x II

3. cigarman

cigarman Millennium Member

I have had very **** luck with BSA.

4. Esox357

Esox357

Well I am also learning about scopes. I used a Bushnell before the elevation had the diopter fall off. The Bushnell worked fine for deer hunting. You may want to consider Leupold as mentioned or Cabelas Pine Ridge series. Take Care Esox357

5. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Nikons are good scopes, too. The Buckmasters series are under $200.

The best scope I've ever seen that was under $100 is a Bushnell Trophy. I've got two, and they're a good bargain. Never had a problem with either. One's a pistol scope, mounted on a .44 mag, but it was over $100 ($140 to be exact, from Gander Mountain). The other is a 3-9x32 on my Savage 110 in .30-06. It cost me only $89, and was well worth it. That gun-scope combo gets excellant groups. Be sure you have good mounts and rings... just as important as a good scope. To put a Bushnell Trophy on my Savage long action, I needed extension rings, however. The spacing of the mounts on the long action .30-06 was too long for regular rings. If your 110 is a .30-06 or other long action caliber (like a 7mm Rem, .270, .280) be sure to check the mount spacing against the spacing of the scope "bells" before you buy the rings. You too may need extension rings, depending on which scope you decide on.

6. hoagie55

hoagie55

I would go with the Leupold. You can get a 3x9x40 for less than $200.00. I have used cheap scopes, under $100.00, and have been successful but if I will be updating to a Leupold this season (if I get out this year) or next season. Why take a chance on missing or worse, wounding an animal if I can help it by getting the best avialable equipment that fits my budget.

7. hoagie55

hoagie55

I forgot to add this, does your rifle favor a certain grain round? I have two rifles that if they are not fed a specific grain round they will not group very well at all. Try shooting different grain rounds and see if that makes a difference.

Just my 2 cents worth.

8. Perrito

Thanks for the replies, I checked out the pineridge scopes, and some BSA scopes. Which would be better for the price? I might try a different grain bullet too, I only shot 150 grainers that day. I've read that improper mounting of scopes is a common cause of inaccuracy (rifle was purchased used and showed some signs of neglect but nothing that I thought was very serious).

9. sooner pete

sooner pete STOOPS FOR PRES

The scope that you've got on there is better than any bsa scope.Don't waste your money on that cheap piece of junk.If your looking into a scope that fits your budget,then check out the baush and lamb elite 3200 with rain gaurd or weaver has a grand slam scope thats is really good glass.If higher end scopes are in your budget,then leupold is a great scope.I use baush and lamb elite on my hunting rifles and the 3x9x40 can be had for 200$ or less.

10. hoagie55

hoagie55

I just remembered one other thing, did you have the scope bore sighted brefore you went shooting? If not go to a sporting goods store nd ahve them bore sight it for you. This will get you on tthe paper and then you can fine tune it from there. But, definitely try different sized grain rounds to see if your gun is particular.

Good Luck!

11. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

while your scope is not the best it shouldn't be off 10" @ 100 yds. if you're going to replace one cheap scope with another there are a few things you should check first.

1) check the scope mount. if you haven't already take off the rings and monts and install them yourself. put a little loctite on the scres when you mount the base to make sure they don't shift. make sure your scope is aligned correctly.

2) try some different kinds of ammo. while this won't bring you in 10" it will help.

3) make sure you have a good rest. the biggest mistake i've seen when people are sighting in a scope is when they do it off hand or with just a front rest. the gun should be completely immobile when you sight in the gun. otherwise your innacuracies are being used to adjust the scope. i use front and rear shooting bags (sandbags work just as well). you should be able to set up the gun, get it on target, then take your hands off of it and it shouldn't move at all.

4) how well do you usually shoot? no flame intended, but not everyone is a sharpshooter. especially if you haven't practiced a lot or are a new shooter. your scope might only be off a little and the rest could be you. that's why #3 is so important. try shooting a 5 shot group. if your group is 4" then you know how well you can shoot and just move your group over to the center of the target, instead of each shot.

your scope will not be very consistent in its adjustment and you will not be able to find a low end scope that is. it might say 1/4 MOA but the manufacturing just isn't precise enough the get that. try shooting the corners with your scope. this will give you a good idea about the adjustments.

this means put 1 shot dead center. then got up 6" and right 6", take 1 shot. then down 12", take one shot. then left 12", take one shot. then up 12", take one shot. then right 6" and down 6" and you should be right back dead center. i would be amazed at any budget scope that could do that.

you should be able to get 1MOA out of your savage with the right ammo. 2MOA with just about any decent ammo.

12. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

There are three brands that stand out as great deals for the money when it comes to scopes. The first is Weaver. They are simple and tough, and while the glass may not be as nice as a lot of high end scopes, it is better than anything else in the same price range. The second is the Bausch and Lomb Elite 3200 or 4200 series. These are excellent and equal the quality of many scopes that cost twice as much (and are probably my first choice). The third is Leupold. Their scopes range in price from $150 to more than ten times that much. Obviously, the more expensive ones are better, but all are good.

13. Aimless

Aimless

http://www.swfa.com/

I agree with mpol777 sounds like there is more going on here than a cheap scope. My guess would be a loose scope mount.

No offense, but you were shooting off a bench, not free hand, right?

I've had more cheap scopes than expensive. I have a BSA that's pretty good for a chinese scope. But I've had some awful chinese scopes (Tasco!). A scope that does not work is a false economy because you end up buying two. I would look at the Nikon Buckmaster or the inexpensive Leupold (however I have not seen one of those in person).

14. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Better to go with a cheap rifle and expensive glass than to go the other way around. Most rifles are more accurrate than the shooters.

15. Backstop

Backstop

I would go with the Leupold crowd (and not just cause they are made 10 miles from my home!). It is real tough to beat that Vari-X II and at under $200.00 you are getting fully multicoated lenses that Leupold will back for as long as it exists. I had the misfortune once of falling on my Vari-X II (dead fall collapsed when I steped on it, long story). Any way, the scope stayed zeroed in to its credit but the power adjustment seized. A lesser scope would have probably collapsed. Leupold repaired it and quality checked it for fogging again at no cost, even though I told them it was my fault and how it happened.
    Hard to beat that kind of service. I now have one on my Howa 22-250 varmit and my Remington model 700 7mm mag.

16. P-990

P-990 Certified Nutz

The best "economy" rifle scope, IMO, is the one that won't fail due to anything short of gross abuse or disaster. For me, this means a Leupold, mostly because I don't have any experience with anything else except a Bushnell. The Bushnell is ok, but the VX-I I have is hugely better. I know, the VX-I isn't the greatest glass in the world, but it will do the job. Mine is a 2-7x33mm on top of a Remington 700 Mountain in .260 Remington. This gives me a 1-1.5" combo, dependant largely on the load and how clean the bore is.

But 10" disparity is most likely a mount. My .260 had been shooting way out of whack for a few weeks. I scrubbed it with copper solvent and remounted the scope. The rings were tight, but the bases had come loose. If I hadn't already known that it was a 1.5 minute rifle, I might never have suspected that the problem was the mounts.

Oh, and for the record, I am not a Tasco fan. My brother's NEF .44 Magnum has eatten 2 Trashco scopes. My dad refuses to buy better optics. Too bad, because it would save money in the long run.

17. LovemyGlock's

LovemyGlock's

Check out Swift scopes. A local shop turned me on to them and I love mine!! I paid $125 for a 3x9x40. It is mounted on a Remington 700VS. I will admit the rifle is more accurate than I will ever be off hand. The glass is very clear for the price, compared to my buddy's Leupold VX3 neither one of us can tell the differance side by side.

18. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

i'm with plasticguy on this one. with scopes you get what you pay for, maybe even more so than the gun. you don't need to spend 400 bucks, but i wouldn't spend less than 150. you can get some good glass at that price. bausch and lomb are my favorite scopes, i have a 3200 2x7 thats been on everything from my AR to my 12 gauge then an 06 works great!then a 6x24 target scope for my savage 12 bvs that's 1/2 moa. also have had some good weavers, a fixed 4x on my muzzle loader has worked great to. then i saw a leupold 3x9 at wally world for right at 200.

19. Perrito

Thanks for all of the replies! Took this rilfe & scope out a second time with the intention of trying out another scope from a friend. When I seeked the advice of a range officer he checked my rings and mounts and found them ALL to be loose. Not "wiggly" loose but apparently loose enough to allow the scope to move some with each shot. After a thorough tightening, and taking some more shots, the groups tightened up significantly. I was able to hit the 8 inch steel plates at 220 yards every time. I would like to put on a good scope but this being my first hunt and all, I'm concentrating my limited funds on other gear. I can't wait!

20. Sixgun357

Sixgun357

Cabelas has thier own line of scopes. My buddy put on on his shotgun for around $80. Very nice scope for the money. Im sorry I can not think of the name right now.