close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Easy question (different brass colors)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by XDRoX, Mar 20, 2010.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

OK, I got an easy one for you guys.
    Why is some brass silver? Is it better than brass colored brass? Why the need to make it in a different color.
    The reason I ask is because today I just got some Starline in the mail, and to my surprise it is silver. Is this stuff safe to reload multiple times?
    I bought this stuff. It's not silver in the picture, but it was when I got it.
    Thanks

2. BBJones

BBJones

3. kshutt

kshutt

Most factory self-defense loads are nickel, and I don't throw the "brass" away after I shoot them; I've reloaded them for years in .45acp.

4. G20gunner

G20gunner

What you have is nickel plated brass cases. They are common in self defense ammo for smoother extraction, and because the don't corrode over time like brass can sometimes do. The cowboy action shooters like the nickel plated cases for the same reason, they don't turn green/corrode in the loops of the leather carry belts the way brass sometimes can.
    Some big game ammo, the stuff made for africa hunting, etc., is nickel plated for the same reason, to prevent corrosion in the warmer climate, and to aid in extraction.
    For everyday shooting, I prefer regular brass. It seems that nickel plated brass is prone to neck cracking much sooner than brass after reloading it a number of times.

G20gunner:wavey:

5. LL6

LL6

My experience was the nickel-plated stuff didn't last as long as plain old brass.

6. mteagle1

mteagle1

I've had more brass cases split than nickel but the collection is probably 100 to 1 brass.

7. XDRoX

XDRoX

Thanks for all the replies. So should I return it for non plated brass or just shoot it?
    The only thing that worries me is the comment about scratching my dies. Anyone else heard this?

8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Brass, whether nickel plated or not has no correlation in scratching dies... it's the dirt that may be attached to that brass. Nickel plated brass actually runs through a sizing die easier than straight brass but also tends to have a shorter loading life... especially with heavy loads.

Either tumble or wipe off your brass prior to sizing and you'll be passing your dies on to your grandchildren.

Jack

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Nickle plated brass, used a lot in self defense loads. For me it does not last as long in reloading because the nickle plating process hardens the brass. Nickle plated is slicker feeling and is suppose to aid in chambering.

10. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I happened across this the other day. The dark one in the middle is a .40 S&W made by Hornady. I have never seen this finish on a case before, looks kind of like a Wolf round, but darker. It is not a steel case.

[​IMG]

11. XDRoX

XDRoX

Thanks Jack. I tumble all my brass until I can see myself in it, so cleanliness won't be a problem. I'll load 'em up.

12. kshutt

kshutt

Or in Jack's case, your great, great, great grandchildren! :snoopy:

13. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

I shall be filing a complaint against all of you with the Americans with Disabilities Act... as soon as I remember where I put my quill and parchment.

Jack

14. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Quill and parchment?

More like stone, chisel, and hammer.

15. Motown Fire

Motown Fire Everett

I just loaded up 800 rounds of .40S&W this afternoon and a hundred or so of them are nickel plated cases. This is their 4th or 5th trip through the ole Lee Turret Press and they are still looking good. Load up what ya got, go shoot em' up and then load em' up and start over. Oh ya, have fun while you are shooting them and then smile really big while you reload them instead of spending way too much money on factory ammo !!!

16. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Not to hijack... but what's up with the finish on this round?

[​IMG]

17. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

Hornady's TAP (and some of their other handgun carry JHPs) are black brass. I don't know what they are doing to it, but it is definitely reloadable brass. Not steel or aluminum.