Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
100% Infidel
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from my neighbor, his daughter with her spanking new DL is stranded at a local park, she filled the Honda Pilot with diesel..... neighbors could not get there to help.
I found the sisters and sure enough the gas filler reeked of diesel, the kids are scared to death. My buddy the tow truck driver arrived and we towed it to their house. I've drained many tanks that got mixed but never on a Pilot, is this going to be a simple fuel pump relay bypass or does the ECM handle this task?
Anybody want some waste fuel....:whistling:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Got a call from my neighbor, his daughter with her spanking new DL is stranded at a local park, she filled the Honda Pilot with diesel..... neighbors could not get there to help.
I found the sisters and sure enough the gas filler reeked of diesel, the kids are scared to death. My buddy the tow truck driver arrived and we towed it to their house. I've drained many tanks that got mixed but never on a Pilot, is this going to be a simple fuel pump relay bypass or does the ECM handle this task?
Anybody want some waste fuel....:whistling:
As long as there isn't a screen along the way, a simple hand pump from wally world is like 7 bucks and will do it. Auto dept, it's red like a bike pump but has a hose above the piston and another below it.

I have one for putting oil in my transfer cases of my truck and car.

·
Firm member
30,190 Posts
Did the very thing on a Camry by simply disconnecting the fuel line to the injector plenum and putting a jumper to the fuel pump fuse. Ignition stays off, ECM senses nothing and the tank drains in an hour or so. BTW...how did she fit the diesel nozzle into the Pilot's filler neck reducer? HH

·
Simple Member
7,472 Posts
Funny my mom thought she did the same thing a couple of days ago. everybody I checked with said that the tank should be dropped and cleaned and the lines cleaned out. About $400. Did she run it long enough to kill it or did they stop? If it get sucked into the injectors it gets a lot worse. And make sure the fuel filter get changed.

I am sure some of the real mechanics will post up whether the tank needs to get dropped for sure or not.

And it turned out my mom had grabbed the slip from somebody that bought diesel before her, no diesel in her car.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If the tank was almost empty and they did a fill up with diesel then you will need to get the fuel out of the system. Siphon as much out of the tank as possible. Fill it up with gasoline. Find a fuel port at the front on top of the engine. There is usually a port with a shrader valve on it to test fuel pressure. I have a Gage I bought from an auto parts store that I hook up that has a bypass hose that I run to a fuel tank to catch the fuel. Caution: the fuel will be anywhere from 20 to 60 PSI. Turn the key to the on position and bleed out the diesel from the fuel system. After you get gas to the engine. Change the fuel filter.

·
Firm member
30,190 Posts
IIRC, the only real harm of diesel running through a modern gasoline engine is to the catylitic (sp?) converter and O2 sensor. Are not the seals/gaskets/lines of a gas motor identical in composition to diesel engines? I would imagine it would foul out and stall long before any damage if the tank was straight diesel. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yes, that is correct. If they had only put a gallon or two before catching the mistake, I'd say just fill it up and run the fuel out of it. The only reason I'd purge the fuel from the lines is to get clean gas through the filter and then replace it. I've seen filters get pretty fouled up from diesel. (But these were older cars that probably had a bunch of crud and sediment in the tanks.)

·
Pinky Out
60,198 Posts
Easiest way is a screwdriver to the tank; not practical, but easy.:whistling:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Diesel fuel won't hurt the catalytic converters. However, it is way down in oictiane versus gas. If there is a lot of gas in the fuel rail you can probably drain the tank, fill it with PREMIUM fuel and run it out. If the car won't start then you are going to need to bleed the fuel system from the engine end - high percentage of diesel fuel in a cold engine will keep it from starting.

Assuming you follow this approach and it starts up, drive it easily for the next 30 miles or so until it is all purged or blended in the tank. BTW - if the Honda is using a return style fuel system it will self purge the fuel rail.

Don;t worry about the fuel filter. The filters will not be affected by clean diesel fuel.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
In addition to how she got the diesel nozzle to fit, I'd like to know how she got a license if she couldn't read DIESEL on the pump.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Around here a lot of gas stations have the same size nozzle on the diesel as they do on the gas. Really dumb idea if you ask me.
All auto diesel pumps I have used are the same size, on the semi pumps get the big nozzle.

Most nozzles are green though but I think it is Mobile makes all their nozzles green.

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
My aunt did it a couple years back. She couldn't fit the nozzle into the tank, so she asked the gas station attendant who told her to just hold it up there. :wow: :brickwall:

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
All auto diesel pumps I have used are the same size, on the semi pumps get the big nozzle.

Most nozzles are green though but I think it is Mobile makes all their nozzles green.
BP would make more sense. Mobil's colors are red, white & blue aren't they?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
In addition to how she got the diesel nozzle to fit, I'd like to know how she got a license if she couldn't read DIESEL on the pump.
women drivers

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Diesel fuel won't hurt the catalytic converters. However, it is way down in oictiane versus gas. If there is a lot of gas in the fuel rail you can probably drain the tank, fill it with PREMIUM fuel and run it out. If the car won't start then you are going to need to bleed the fuel system from the engine end - high percentage of diesel fuel in a cold engine will keep it from starting.

Assuming you follow this approach and it starts up, drive it easily for the next 30 miles or so until it is all purged or blended in the tank. BTW - if the Honda is using a return style fuel system it will self purge the fuel rail.

Don;t worry about the fuel filter. The filters will not be affected by clean diesel fuel.
Octane is actually a hydrocarbon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane

But in reference to gas it is used a a resistance to detonation. Diesel is much harder to ignite than gas and would have a higher "octane" rating. Diesel is typically rated with Cetane. No need to use premium.

MAKES SURE TO LET THE STARTER REST WHEN YOU ARE CRANKING IT!!

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Diesel fuel is no dirtier than gasoline, there will be no need to change the fuel filter.

Drain the tank by whatever means you have available. Fuel pump relay bypass and bleed port would be my preference, plus a battery charger to keep from draining the battery. Close up the fuel system and refill the tank w/ premium gasoline. Use your fuel pump relay bypass to turn on the fuel pump without starting the vehicle, this will push fresh gasoline through the lines and the fuel rail, through the pressure regulator, and back to the tank, diluting any diesel that is left in the system. Start car and drive normally.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Diesel fuel is no dirtier than gasoline, there will be no need to change the fuel filter.

Drain the tank by whatever means you have available. Fuel pump relay bypass and bleed port would be my preference, plus a battery charger to keep from draining the battery. Close up the fuel system and refill the tank w/ premium gasoline. Use your fuel pump relay bypass to turn on the fuel pump without starting the vehicle, this will push fresh gasoline through the lines and the fuel rail, through the pressure regulator, and back to the tank, diluting any diesel that is left in the system. Start car and drive normally.
Diesel is a LOT dirtier than gas. Cars go over 100k miles without changing the fuel filter. My truck requires it to be changed every 15 thousand miles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts