Earthquake, SanFrancisco

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BengalBacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I was there for that one. I was living in a travel trailer and not much damage had occurred. Some things fell out of the cupboards and a few things broke but nothing serious. But a lot of people's walls fell down in the neighborhood around me and everyone was out looking for their dogs. Some underground pipes broke and water was shooting out of the ground in places. Neighbors were helping each other. The corner supermarket had all of the entire front windows broken and everything inside was on the floor. Most businesses were closed but many business owner were there dealing with the damage.

The Earthquake happened when it was still dark (4:30 AM) and the power was out everywhere. Nobody had flashlights so everyone drove to parts of the city where there was still power where stores were still open. I was in North Hollywood about 20 miles East of Northridge and drove over the hill to Hollywood about 10-15 miles where there was a Save-on Drug Store open.

I went in and bought some snack food and drinks (I had a Flashlight and batteries) and when I came out to the parking lot there was a guy who must have gone into the store just before I did and bought all the flashlights and batteries and was selling them in the parking lot at scalper's prices.

Where some see tragedy, others see opportunity.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  2. nmk

nmk

What a dick thing to say.

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

He would be talking about the Loma Prieta quake, Oct. 17, 1989. I forget how many deaths there were, but there was a great deal of damage

4. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Small world - me too! I lived in Capitola at the time. My brand-new Gold Wing got knocked over. It only got a scratch on the left saddlebag, and I left it as a memento.

5. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

THAT sux. I hope that jackass encountered something significantly punitive in his personal life later on. DAMN some purported "human beings" sooo intensely pizzz me the flark off.

Compare that sheetty-person behavior to reports of human compassion in NYC on 9-11..... all kinds of merchants and foodaries feeding 1st responders and displaced city residents for free, openingly sharing bottled water and such w/o charging for it, etc.

Crimeny.
    (Don't mind me..... it's one of 'THOSE days' and I'm in one of 'THOSE MOODS'... and no - I'm W-A-Y too old to be having PMS... )

6. MB-G26

I strongly suspect you are exactly right.... the proper name of the quake I was thinking of was kinda stuck on the end of the proverbial tongue, as it were. Sad thing, though - when there have been enough of such events that the 'names' get lost in the history.... and in personal events. (I was about 2 months from baby delivery when Loma Prieta hit, and those recollections get all mixed up as well with 9/11 and all that panic (sister was still working in dwntn L.A., for Zurich and I'd called her, screaming for her to get the fk outta L.A.)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  7. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

I rode out the Northridge quake in '94. It was 6.7 IIRC, but felt like more. Later that morning the was a 5.5 aftershock. I saw the ground wave coming down my street, maybe 6-9 inches of vertical movement, then the neighbors Ford Explorer started jumping about 6” off the ground. Very impressive!

cyberghostx13, MB-G26 and 1L26 like this.
  8. nmk

nmk

Not a lady business thing. Sometimes you're just kinda scary.

"Don't mind me"....said the person who's about to stab you.

ETA: I meant that as a complement. Don't cut me.

MB-G26 likes this.
  9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I was able to contrast that one creep's behavior with all the neighbors in the early hours of the morning helping each other that I had seen earlier that day. People who had probably never spoken to each other before were sharing a bond. That may sound corny but I don't really know how to describe it. It was incredible.

One guy who's water main broke, I ran to my truck to get a street key to shut the water off at the meter and someone else had already beaten me to it.

And the guy in the parking lot? I was able to laugh at it.

MB-G26 likes this.
  10. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

My wife had two coworkers die South of Market in SF.

They were walking in front of a brick building and the whole front of the building collapsed. They were crushed to death instantly,

Very bad luck.

11. MB-G26

Yaaaah, 'tis true, that :eyelashes: But fear not..... I'm not so good at stealthy :ender:

Nahhh.... I nevar dun did stab nobody (but I do appreciate a proper blade :tongueout: )
    :grouphug: :innocent:

12. MB-G26

Mr. Warner (or, is it Mr. Borg?) ;)
    I strongly suspect you are significantly more evolved than I. And, Good On Ya, that. :highfive:

13. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

When you've start to become an expert on the types of human feces found in the streets of San Fransisco, it might be time to consider moving.

Just sayin'.

14. nmk

nmk

I accept your hug.

MB-G26 likes this.
  15. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I have been to SF many times but have yet to see human crap on the streets. Course I don't go all over the place and never to the Haight District. My post was worded from logic and common sense and what I have learned about drugs from television, Internet, etc. I still go up to SF and ride my bike from 4th & Townsend(SF Cal-Train Station) to Chrissy Field. Used to ride over the Golden Gate but that's a bit much for my 69yr old a** nowadays. One thing's for sure, I don't look for any 'cept where I'm about to step infin I'm a walkin' the bike. Sayonara.

16. 1L26

1L26

Yeah, we were reasonably close! Sorry to hear about the scoot! We didn't have any real damage but the great room looked out over a greenbelt and that side of the house was all glass. How it survived with all the movement I'll never know! Glad it all worked out for you.

That was the aftershock I was talking about earlier. You and I were quite close too. I was just west of you near the 118.

17. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I survived the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake that hit the Bay Area. I was 6 years old at the time, and I was at soccer practice with my sister and mother. I heard rumbling off in the distance, and the whole field stopped and turned to look at the mountains. Suddenly, my vision was bouncing up and down violently, and I was half-running half-staggering towards my mother who was likewise staggering and running towards me. She held both my sister and I until the shaking stopped. The basketball court next to the soccer field cracked from the force of the hoops swaying in the concrete.

It almost killed my now-late aunt when a book case fell on the couch she was sitting on just moments before. I think my father was at home watching the World Series.

Scary stuff! I've never been in anything like that since. Here's an 11 minute video about it, if anyone is interested.

God, I am SO GLAD I don't live in California anymore.

cyberghostx13, WeeWilly and 1L26 like this.
  18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

No offense meant. I have been to SF many times, too, but the last time was about 1983 and I hear it's a different place now. You may be able to tolerate it but you have to admit that it isn't what it used to be.

I lived in California from 1959 to 1989 and it was once a great place. I lived in L.A and the bay area both

cyberghostx13, 1L26 and Jade Falcon like this.
  19. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

20. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

More like "if it's still there we don't count it".