Earthquake, SanFrancisco

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BengalBacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. as400guy1

as400guy1

...there is a poo joke somewhere here...

FullClip likes this.
  2. 1L26

1L26

We lived a few miles away from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake. It rocked the house pretty good. My truck was in the driveway and when I got out of the house it was skipping across the driveway. Damn impressive.

Then we moved to SoCal just in time for the Northridge quake. We were just a few miles from that epicenter too. Our 2 story house rattled and rocked and it sounded like the staircase fell. When I got outside my neighbor and his naked wife were in the street.

A couple hours later we had a 5.0 aftershock and nobody batted an eye. My GSD was in the backyard and I saw him stop and immediately lay down. Seconds later the aftershock hit...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019

3. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Was the neighbor wife hot?

Dogs know stuff.

4. 1L26

1L26

She was in her early 40s and not bad at all!

Rotn1 and cyberghostx13 like this.
  5. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

So S.F. did not fall into the ocean?

6. HardlyAble2

HardlyAble2

In the planet World Series mother nature always bats last...

Jade Falcon, Rotn1, jimcorbin and 2 others like this.
  7. nmk

nmk

All jokes aside about people dying, I hope everyone is ok.

Rotn1 and jimcorbin like this.
  8. nmk

nmk

That's messed up.

9. CAcop

CAcop

Just had another one hit near Salinas at 4.8. I felt that one near Santa Cruz. I thought it was a truck in the street until someone pointed it out. I kind of sat there and waited to see if it got bigger.

10. HardlyAble2

HardlyAble2

My sister resides in Concord and she said it was for sure a brief come to jesus moment but it came and went without any damage...

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

Being rated as a 3.8ML (Magnitude Local). Not sure how that rates on the Richter or MW scales, though. They've become much more specific in assigning "magnitude", meaning most of the non-scientists among us have a harder time assigning a familiar reference. :)

Slower rolling rumble without a horizontal "bang".

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci3295751/origin/detail

https://earthquaketrack.com/us-ca-salinas/recent

Guess we'll have more stuff shake out of the redwoods for another week or so. Might hold off on blowing the duff off the roof for a few more days. ;)

cyberghostx13 and CAcop like this.
  12. fastbolt

fastbolt

No more messed up than joking about tornadoes, hurricanes, floods and snow storms that affect everyone else.

But you're right.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  13. nmglock

nmglock

Maybe my xmas wish will come true, the whole state sliding into the ocean!

Simi_gun_guy likes this.
  14. stavey

stavey

I was excited for a moment thinking finally Commiefornia would have sank into the sea.
    An island won’t work they are used to swimming over already

nmglock likes this.
  15. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I certainly never felt it whatsoever, I live approx. 23 miles south of San Francisco, I'm not that far from the San Adreas Fault either. I was living in Mountain View, California on Oct. 17th 1989. I had the day off to watch the World Series. Got my can of bud and sat down to watch when all of a sudden my two parrots Rocky and Max started flying around wildly, apparently for no reason I could see. Well maybe a second or two later, I understood why they were flying crazy.

Since I didn't want to open the door and the parrots would fly out, I just held on to my brand new 24" TV that was on a hospital over the bed table. After the quake everything was ok at my apt. except all the kitchen sink water had sloshed onto the floor.

Later I rode my bike on the dark El Camino about seven miles to the hospital where I worked to see if help was needed. Spent the night on a gurney in our pre-post holding room. Each slot had a potable TV and the holding room didn't have any patients. Woke up, washed a little in holding room bathroom, and started my work day, I mean I was already there. Sayonara.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Nah. But what if it causes enough deep shaking to trigger an eruption of the much discussed Yellowstone "Super Volcano"? How much of the rest of the country might survive to regret wishing ill on CA? :p

Just kidding. Many scientists don't look at a Yellowstone caldera eruption as likely being a "worst case scenario". :)

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  17. CAcop

CAcop

The water is cold up here. It doesn't get above 60 much and can get down to 50 in the winter. It's why Old Man Jack invented the modern wetsuit in NorCal.

Slackinoff and Rotn1 like this.
  18. cyberghostx13

Yeah, but it might not even be a quake, could be a comet, meteor, asteroid, tsunami, or even a nuclear strike, and in most of these cases most everyone would be instantly vaporized, 'cept for the tsunami, then you are either smashed or drowned. However only the tsunami would be the most likely to occur of the above, whereas tornadoes and hurricanes are an annual event in the areas that are prone to that type of weather.

Ahhh no thanks, I'll take my chances with Earthquakes. When the Loma Prieta hit in 1989, I thought to myself, well that certainly released a lot of stress in those faultlines, probably won't have another major quake here in many years. It's 2019 and I still think we are ok, but you know opinions are like a**es and elbows, everybodys got one. Each to their own poison. Sayonara.

mj9mm likes this.
  19. cyberghostx13

Yeah, next time it could real nasty, Mother Nature could be "Itching A Scratch". Sayonara.

20. cyberghostx13

Yeah but that feeling really started after the movie "EARTHQUAKE" in "SenseSurround"(sp) back around 1970. In Vietnam us Marine grunts had a saying, "When your time comes, your time comes" followed by the usual reply, "There It Is". Why worry about stuff you can't change, just get your prep-supplies and "Forgetaboutit". Ifin ya live in Florida, it's like oh no, it's hurricane season again. Ifin ya live in Oklahoma it's like oh no, it's Tornado season again. No thanks. Sayonara.