close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Earthlink "upgrade" CD in the mail messed stuff up

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sharpshooter, Jul 21, 2004.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I got one of those Earthlink Total Access 2004 upgrade CD's in the mail. The letter said to install free stuff to upgrade to the latest version of Earthlink bla bla.

I did it, and now when I surf the net, all images appear pixilated and blocky. Pics posted here on GT, other forums, on any web site, they're all screwed up. Some backgrounds are pixilated too.

This sucks! What the heck happened?

2. sharpshooter

Nevermind, I figured it out... The "acceleration" only happens if you choose the option to decrease image quality. It automaticaly puts you on mid-quality and mid-acceleration which makes simple pictures look really sucky.

If you want to view images in normal "top" quality, you get the slowest acceleration, which seems to be the same speed as before I uploaded the "upgrade"...

How lame. Anybody else messed around with this yet?

3. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Wow - I simply installed it and did not check the options. The images all look normal to me and I did not notice any increase in speed. The fastest we can connect at home is 14.4. Wow - I'll be checking out the settings when I get home, I'll sacrifice the images to load the pages faster!

4. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Want real acceleration?

Just turn off the images rendering option.

Back in 1996 when modem speeds were about 2400 Baud I had a browser called AMosaic. I would turn off the images rendering option and I was able to surf to pages a lot more quickly, If I really wanted to see the photos I would press the images button.

In Linux there is a text based browser called Lynx. Fast and efficient when you need to dowload files from webpages.

5. sharpshooter

Yeah, it IS a lot faster if you don't care about images and graphics. It's quite a bit faster, especially on forums and hotmail. But it makes your computer screen look sucky with all the poor quality graphics.

6. physicsdevil

physicsdevil

I like Dillo for a quick-and-dirty web-browser. While it's fast...it does have its problems:

http://www.dillo.org
    * Dillo is a web browser project completely written in C.
    * Dillo is small: source is less than 400 KB, and the binary is around 350 KB!
    * Dillo aims to be a multi-platform browser alternative that's small, stable, developer-friendly, usable, fast, and extensible.
    * Dillo is mainly based on GTK+ (GNOME is NOT required!)
    * Dillo is a free-SW project in the terms of the GNU general public license.
    * Current code uses an improved html-parser (it was based on gzilla's), and almost everything else was rewritten from scratch!.
    * Dillo is very fast!