Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Earthlink or Road Runner Cable access...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Nov 5, 2005.

1. IndyGunFreak

I just found out my cable provider offers either Earthlink Cable access or Roadrunner cable access.

I've read a lot about Earthlinks DSL service, which seems OK, but a search turned up nothing on their cable access. Earthlink seems to have a lot more "bang for the buck" than Roadrunner.

A special going- 29.95 for 6mo Regular rate, 41.95 thereafter
    8 Email addresses, 10mb of Webspace. Their page isn't clear on wether I'd have to rent the cable modem or not. If I did, I'd probably just go buy one. Also, from their webpage, it appears you access your email through some special "email" software they provide. I'd just assume stick with Thunderbird, as I've been very happy with it. Do you have to use their software?

44.95, 4 email accounts. No charge for the cable modem.

Also, one other thing about Roadrunner. It almost looks like they are passing themselves off as an online 'service', like AOL. Looks like they install ALOT of software also, which I really don't like the idea of. I've dealt with AOL bloatware before, no thanks. I guess as soon as the tech leaves, I can just uninstall it all.

Anyways, I'm kinda leaning towards Earthlink, but if their service sucks, then I'll just get Roadrunner, the 5 bucks a month or so, isn't worth getting in a mess over.

Thanks, o wise men of GT! :)

2. BLau

St. Louis, MO
    I have the Earthlink service and I rarely have any complaints. When I do though, their customer service is excellent. They call you back the day after you talk to the techs to make sure they fixed your problems.

To answer to question about their software, no you do not have to use it. It is a pretty nice software package but you can use what you are using now. You can also access your email via "Webmail", similar to hotmail accounts.

When I had DSL with them, they sent me a free DSL modem. They sent me two of them! I'm not sure about the cable modem though. Right now I am using Charter to get my cable access (Earthlink high speed left my town), but I still use Earthlink to check my email.

I've had Earthlink internet service since 1998. Hope that helps.

3. Dandapani

Gulf side Florida
    I have RR and not one bit of S/W was installed on either of my machines.
  4. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Lincoln, Nebraska
    My Earthlink cable access has been good. Both are available to me from the local Time Warner. The cable modem was provided to me as part of the service, but I also use Time Warners digital phone (VOIP) which requires a special combination modem that handles both the internet and the phone. At first I used the Earthlink Total Acess software, but now I only use their stand alone email client and The Opera browser. No Earthlink software is required. You also have webspace available for all your email addresses for uploading and storing data and pictures.

The only thing I don't like about it is having to type all the time;f