Earnhart Jr Crash

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bipe215, Aug 15, 2019.

1. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Fair enough, thanks for all the other opinions anyway.

GVIFlyer likes this.
  2. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

The spruce sparred Bellanca Super Viking with a turbo-charged IO-540 is a great airplane. I wouldn't mind having one parked in my hangar.

bipe215 and G19Tony like this.

3. bipe215

bipe215

One of my favorites.

GVIFlyer likes this.
  4. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

The Bellanca’s control harmony and handling qualities are superb. Thanks for reminding me about the Viking, I’ve been perusing “Trade A Plane” recently and the Viking had dropped completely off my radar.

bipe215 likes this.
  5. Caver 60

Caver 60

While most any pilot can tell you about ground effect, I'm (afraid at least in my day) they didn't really know what it would do for them, especially in military jets. I had an illegal demonstration of ground effect by an old head IP when I was upgrading to IP. Made a believer out of me.

I saw the smoke from about 30,000 gallons of JP4 coming from the end of the runway, when I was on the way to work one day. Five dead, one lived. The accident board concluded the last mistake the guy made was, he flew it out of ground effect. He'd made a couple mistakes before that. The accident board said the only way he might could have saved it was to use ground effect.

But that 9,500 foot plus takeoff roll at Guam was interesting. And I personally knew two BUFF crews who pulled their plane in the air at the last few feet of the over run, and went over the cliff descending. Both were about 8 or 10 knots below charted unstick speed as they got airborne. That 600 feet of altitude saved their bacon in both cases.

WeeWilly likes this.
  6. ejjeff

ejjeff

NTSB released preliminary report and if I read it properly 2 airline transport rated pilots may have messed up. PIC has 5800 hours TT with 765 in type, copilot has 11000 TT with 1165 in type. A little too fast and go around decision made too late?

Caver 60 and WeeWilly like this.
  7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I agree, it doesn't look too good for the crew. Visual approach, calm winds, clear day, bounced it three times, between the second and third bounce decided to "go around" and the plane didn't respond as expected, right gear collapsed on the third bounce with about 1000' of runway left.

There may be something very extenuating that happened, but on the surface, definitely not good.

Caver 60 and ejjeff like this.
  8. Caver 60

Caver 60

How fast do the engines spool up on that type aircraft? On the BUFF it was kind of slow. Big engines. Lot of mass to get spinning again.

It was real easy to catch a BUFF nose gear during landing. The BUFF flew nose gear down on final and had to transition to nose gear up during the landing flair.

So if someone bounced a nose gear, and you weren't sure you could save it on the next touchdown, you'd better be brining the engines to full power; PDQ.

ejjeff and WeeWilly like this.
  9. bipe215

bipe215

“Chasing” a bounce has torn up a lot of airplanes

ejjeff and Caver 60 like this.