close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Earmites

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by MrsKitty, Mar 4, 2007.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Fred keeps getting them. Itty Bitty apparently brought them in but she is all cleared up now. Fred gets clear then reinfected. Over and over.

Right now I have his bed (only he sleeps on it) in the washer soaking in HOT water with bleach. I was wondering if they were in it...

Any other ideas?

I am going to hit the vet tomorrow and get something different to treat him with. I know they are lurking somewhere around here... his bed is the only thing I can think of as everything else is shared so the others would be getting the mites, too.

Poor Fred :sad:

2. sniper350

sniper350

The bedding would be my guess ........... always a place to treat for fleas.......so why not ear mites ?

They must not be easily picked up just walking around, as I take my cat on long walks through our back yard several times a week, for years now ........ and she has never gotten ear mites. We do have a tick problem in this area.........and I spray the yard often. Maybe that treatment keeps the ear mite problem at bay ??

Mites are nothing to fool around with ......... I have seen them eat a good part of a cat's ear away..... or the infestation caused a loss of the ear tissue. This is after years of neglect, of course.

I wish your cat the best ........ I can only imagine the torment these parasites must cause the poor cat. The thought of something inside your ear ...eating at it :shocked:

JF.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Fred is perking up! :)

Vet said it was doubtful the mites were in his bed but I washed it. He told me to use flea shampoo around his ears to get the eggs the mites run out and lay in addition to the treatment in his ears.

So far, things are looking up for him :)

4. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Great! I was going to suggest cleaning (bleaching, washing and shampooing your carpets) you entire house. Mites should be handled like a ringworm infection.

Good luck!

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Very little carpet in our house. Mostly ceramic tile.

I am doing something new with the mites. The other stuff just wasn't cutting it. Fred doesn't like it so I suspect it is going to work since he didn't really mind the other stuff we were using.

I think I have figured out the root of the problem: the other kitties are shorthair. The one infected cleared right up and the others were clear. I think the mites are hiding in all his hair...I have threatened to shave him...