close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Early wake up call

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by eagles405, Apr 30, 2006.

1. eagles405

eagles405

I have been a volunteer firefighter for Appleby Volunteer fire Department about 8 miles outside of Nacogdoches Texas for about three and a half months and had a little excitement this morning. I had gone to bed at about 4 this morning after finishing a REAL good book. I woke up to my pager going off at 8 o clock this morning. so as I was halfway awake I heard them say something about the Nacogdoches fire dept... My mind is going my pager is not meant to pick up the Nacogdoches dept so by now I am really awake. They then repeat the message with the key word "mutual aid". I go "oh shoot!!!" Nacogdoches has five fully manned,fully paid stations, they are the ones normally coming to our aid. What kind of fire is this. So I through on my shoes and went to our station where my bunker gear is kept until I finish my probationary fire training. On the way I here that the fire is at Jitterbugs, the largest bar/ dance floor/ grill in town and is fully involved with all of Nac's firemen on and off shift fighting the fire. When I get to the firehouse I am assigned to the firetruck that stays at the firehouse in case of a call.:crying: Our second truck goes to the fire with SCBA's and spare full tanks requested while our last truck went to one of the stations in town that was empty to make any emergency calls. Fifteen minutes after our truck gets to the fire they go on pure defensive against the fire and then by about 2 they had the fire under control and started the clean up. The other truck in the station in town cut a person out of a car about 12:30 and myself and 3 other people sat around our station and did a little probationary training and did not make a single call. Now I am not really complaining that I did not get to the fire to help fight because everybody who went was much better qualified then I was (and that is what was needed) and it was fun just listening on the radio. On the other hand it would have been fun to fight the fire or make a call even if it was small (Grass fire or such) At 5:45 this evening Jitterbugs stands a totally fire gutted, warped mettle building. It is sad not being able to stop the fire or save at least part of the building after a full days fight.

To all the firefighter and police officers out there...stay safe and be careful.
    Here is a link from a local news station about the blase.
    http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.as...6&nav=menu118_3

Eagles 405

2. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

I know what you're going through...I'm no longer a FF, but I was for 1.75 years before I moved to AZ. The first 8 months I was training to get qualified to ride without waiting for a line officer's permission. It was torture to get there quickly and watch 3 other people arrive after you and hop on, leaving you in the dust. Nothing you can do but push to finish the training and grit your teeth. It will all be worth it when you're going interior on your first rocking fire. Just remember, 98% of the time you are not doing the glory stuff (going interior, extrication, cracking roofs, etc), but it's all important. While we were off at a fire, one of our standby companies ran an entrapment in our first due. You never know. We train for the 2% of the time the bad stuff happens.:ffighter:

3. Tvov

Tvov

Yep, you just have to be patient. "Standby" at the firehouse is important, too. Probably about half the time we go on mutual aid calls, we end up calling back to our dept for something, whether for more equipment or more personnel.

4. D25

D25 The Quick

Be patient, and learn all you can. You will have your turn.:cool:

5. eagles405

eagles405

Last Saturday we had a basic extrication course cancelled due to weather so last night we went and cut up the cars and had a quicker very basic extrication class. I Will have a more in-depth class before I handle them on scene by myself without a more experienced person helping. That was fun but hard work. The more training I get the more appreciation I get for the full time fireman. Keep up the good work and stay safe.
    <--Working on being patient.

Eagles 405