GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Sneet
15,292 Posts
Are you sure you received an ACTUAL mail-in ballot or was it a form to use to request an absentee ballot? Lots of confusion (intentional IMHO) around all that this year.
It was an actual ballot. No confusion here.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Voted today in person here in Polk Co. Central Florida. It looked like Walmart/Winn Dixie at the first of the month when the EBT cards are recharged. Hopefully this was only a demographic surge pertinent to the first day of early voting. I presume those with jobs will need to bide their time. No, I don't work - retired.

I voiced my opinion to the poll workers how the ballots were also printed in Spanish. They too were not on board with it however are powerless to do anything. My congressional district was created i.e. gerrymandered during the last redistricting to accommodate that ethnic grouping.

Before the haters dive in.....I'm not anti Spanish speakers........half my family lives in Colombia S.A.. Get in line, file the paperwork and do it like our ancestors did.
Porto Rico is part of the United Stated and has been for over 100 years. Saying “Go English Only” denies that reality.

Reactions: TACLOAD

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
My wife and I voted on Monday. Drive up voting that was very well set up. Didn't have to get out of the car, also didn't have to wait. It took longer to drive the orange cone gauntlet than it did to vote. They handed the voting machine in the car, first my wife had to sign in and she voted, then I signed in and voted. Very nice set up.

Reactions: ZekerMan

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Votes can be rescinded in Michigan. The following is from the Secretary of State website:

If a voter has already voted absentee and wishes to change their vote (because the candidate has dropped out of the race, or for any other reason), a voter can spoil their ballot by submitting a written request to their city or township clerk.

• The voter must sign the request and state if they would like a new absentee ballot mailed to them or if they will pick it up in person at the clerk’s office.
  • This request must be received by 5 p.m. the Friday before the election if received by mail. An absentee ballot that has been returned to the clerk may be spoiled in person at the clerk’s office until 10 a.m. the Monday prior to the election. An absentee ballot that has not been returned to the clerk may be spoiled in person at the clerk’s office until 4 p.m. the Monday prior to the election.
  • If a voter has not returned his or her ballot, the voter can surrender the ballot or sign a statement stating that the ballot was lost or destroyed and vote at the polls. There is no option on Election Day to spoil an absentee ballot that has been received by the clerk.
Thanks for the info. I take it this applies to absentee ballots only?

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,089 Posts
I'm going on election day, because I don't want anybody stealing my vote. I don't care if I have to stand in line for hours.

·
NRA Life Member
63,377 Posts
We did early voting Tuesday. Things I noticed were that (1) most of the people in line were old, but that could be based on the day, time of day, etc. - we went during the middle of the workday for people who aren't working from home. (2) The line was also about 20-30% black, but they were just one family that came together in one car, so that doesn't mean much. It was a small line.

Another thing that may be significant - usually when I vote here most people want a paper ballot and the voting machines are not popular, so I get to skip ahead to those. This time at least half or more wanted to vote electronically and were willing to wait to do it. The woman in front of me was 80 and had never voted on the machine before, so they had to walk her through it step by step. I wonder if that is somehow related to all of the stories we keep getting about poll workers, postal workers, etc., trying to get rid of paper ballots?

Also, rather than looking at our ID and having us sign a book, they were scanning the bar codes on our driver's licenses this time. Maybe that will keep down some fraud.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Here in Oregon we vote by mail, got them last week, already done.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Also, rather than looking at our ID and having us sign a book, they were scanning the bar codes on our driver's licenses this time.
My polling location has been doing that since Michigan started offering enhanced drivers licenses about a dozen years ago.

·
Registered
18,032 Posts
I had to go sign papers at the FSA office. While I was in town I voted at the courthouse. Might have been three people cycle through while I was at the courthouse.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Why is everyone voting early? What am I missing out on?
I dont remember early voting ever being this big of a thing
The big thing for a lot of people is Covid and the precautions taken. When I voted in 2018, there was a large line that filled the building. No big deal. Add 6ft between them and you're down the block. This time of year, I don't know what the weather will be and rather just avoid that and Stamford in line with random people.

I voted early in person. No line. I'm not worried about fraud, but there's always some concern about a vote not being counted.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
I cant speak for others, but I am usually on remote job sites on Election Day, so I always take advantage of early voting.

I suspect that there are many that are just hoping to avoid the expected chaos on Election Day.

·
Sneet
15,292 Posts
I vote early, because I don't know if I'll be in town on Nov 3rd. They've had early voting in Nevada for the 30 years I've been here.

·
Rational
14,219 Posts
I voted way early this year, back when I lived in Washington; I want to say it was May? Voted straight R all the way down the ticket.

I haven't voted in Oregon since I moved here. I can't get a driver's license thanks to that hag Governor Brown shutting down driving tests, so I can't vote. I don't think it would matter anyways....I don't think you can vote twice in one election, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'm going on election day, because I don't want anybody stealing my vote. I don't care if I have to stand in line for hours.
How are "they" going to steal your vote? I have early voted the last couple of elections and it works just like it does on the official day.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I've tried on 2 different days at different times this week. There were at least 100-200 people in line both days. Unbelievable turnout.

·
Registered
410 Posts
She's WAY too hot to be a democrat. Wife and I voted yesterday. She's high risk for COVID and didn't mind the 30 min wait. No way we are trusting mail in voting.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts