close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Early 2000's Devilles and Town Cars

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PBCounty, Jun 18, 2012.

1. PBCounty

PBCounty

Hi there,

I'm a pick-up truck guy who needs to up the image some as I (along with my vehicle) am increasingly exposed to my clients (wealthy country club types). Getting out of a dust covered 4X4 in a suit is starting to feel kinda funny.

Thankfully, my area is rife with decent looking (but higher mileage) Cadillacs and Lincolns which I can pick up as a 2nd vehicle for 3K-5K. Is there anything to look out for in the 2000 - 2003 range of the Devilles or Town Cars? I like the RWD drive of the Lincoln but feel the Cadillac has more image factor (yes that is important to me in front of clients).

Any other suggestions?

2. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

How much can you impress clients with a 10 year old car? Better to go backwards and find a clean, straight, early-70's Caddy or Lincoln. They then wonder if you've got a light checkbook or...TONS of STYLE! Watch the obituaries for a West Palm cream puff.

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

You've got a point...but these aren't car people typically and wouldn't be sitting in it or doing a walk around. I doubt they'd know how old the car was. Now, they're just seeing "redneck" (I've gotten enough half-way joking comments).

4. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

I'm surprised, pickups are the new daily drivers. Pulling up straight from the mud bog?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. Ewalk

Ewalk

Put a Caddy hood ornament on your truck and tell them it is all the rage in Europe!

J/K maybe just keep your truck clean, or is it so hill Billy'd that it can't look civilized?

6. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

First double tap in 2000+ posts.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  7. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

8. PBCounty

PBCounty

It's a stock truck and in good shape but living on dirt roads and seeing family / friends on a daily basis who also live on dirt...not to mention the dust from passing traffic while it sits in the driveway, etc. means it's hard to keep that monkey clean for a couple days at a time.

ETA: At least with a "branded" car I can keep it clean with a duster and minimal driving except for on day when I am doing visits and what not.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  9. PBCounty

PBCounty

If I'm going Lincoln I'd go Town Car....the Continental just doesn't seem right to me. But there are many options in the year 2000+ range for that price.

10. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

The
    Continentals are Taurus or Sables underpinnings with Lincoln plush. Stick with the Town Car.

11. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Understood. My only point was that you should hold out for a cream puff so as to minimize the bucks you have to put into it fixing all the crap that dies ~75-100K miles.

12. b_eastep

b_eastep

iv spent a lot of time in a 01 towncar. like it. 100,000 miles and no problems. well except the climate controll wont work on auto when its hot outside but just flip it to manual and it works fine, dont know if thats a common problem or not. gets about 24 mpg in the real world and they look the same as the new ones so everyone else wont even know how old it is.

13. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Or even earlier if you can do it. Then, instead of being cheap, you're a connoseur of classic automobiles.

14. vart

vart

15. PBCounty

PBCounty

Vart I'd like for you to stay away from my vehicle threads please. If I recall correctly you're the Eddie Mush of automobiles.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  16. vart

vart

:crying:

17. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Just get a 'My Other Car is a Bentley' license plate frame.
    Better yet, have a 'My Other Car is a G550' license plate frame and if anyone asks what a G550 is, just give them a haughty look and mutter, "Peasant."

18. Adjuster

Adjuster

I would like to pick up the classic black Lincoln Town Car myself. The kind that is used for picking up people from the airport and taking them to their hotel. The kind where you say 'send me a Town Car'.

/

19. rem2429

rem2429

I'd hit up autotrader classic and see what kind of old Jaguar I could find in my budget. It might even apprecite on you.
    nothing says badass like a v12.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1985-Jaguar-XJS-566764.xhtml?conversationId=224702

As far as cadillacs - I just checked, but there are some old sedan devilles that are better looking than a town car.

If it is that important to your business, I'd consider it an investment and put just a little more in it. Otherwise, spend it on making your truck look presentable.

You could trade your truck plus the cash and get an avalanche or some other country club mobile but still do what you need it to.

20. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

On the early 2000 Deville's Northstar engine the head gasket was known to be a problem area (my mom bought one with low miles --in the 30K range, last year, and now that it is up to 60K or so, is leaking oil). I've also heard that sensors and ball joints are problematic.