close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Earliest time you would mow the lawn?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by skeeter7, Aug 10, 2012.

1. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

In the summer months I usually start mowing the lawn sometime between 8:15-8:30am to beat the heat and humidity. Takes me about 30 minutes usually. This morning however, the only chance I would have before the heavy rain came and with my schedule, would be to start at 7:20am. After mulling it over for a few minutes, then seeing the roofing guns blasting down the street already on a neighbor's house, I went for it. I raced to finish it because I felt so bad and finished in about 20 minutes. I have been feeling guilty all day about it because I really do have nice neighbors.

So my question is, (as posted in the title) what is in your opinion, the earliest time to mow the lawn?

2. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

In a unique case like this, you're fine.

If you were doing that every Saturday, I'd be throwing rocks or zinging you with a pellet gun.

On weekdays, I'd say after 8:00 a.m. it's fair game.

On weekends, I'd wait until 9:00 a.m. or so, personally.

3. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  4. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

I always cut it on a Thursday or Friday just so I have nothing to do on the weekends. Forgot to add that but I see your point about the later start on the weekends.

5. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I don't think I would start before 8. If it was going to rain I would probably wait.

I did pour concrete quite early one day though (may have been before 8), and that included the cement truck backing through the yard. I had to be at work by either 1 or 2 that day though, so I was in a bind.

6. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

I think most of you guys would understand if someone had roofers start at 7:00 a.m. or a cement truck backing up some day that early... Those one-off things might me a minor annoyance, but I don't think they ruin anyone's weekend.

The people who are jerks are the guys that are firing up their mowers at 6:00 a.m. every Saturday and their leaf blower at the same time on Sunday. If it's a regular occurrence, I'd say any neighbor is within their right to tell you what a 'bag you're being.

If it happens a couple of times between April and October, people can deal with it.

That's my .02.

7. ray9898

ray9898

9....I spend a good bit of time on nights and I understand not everyone is up at dawn.

8. kahoys

kahoys

I think it comes down to that noisy muffler on the mower, if I could figure out a way to quiet it down I might even consider lights and mow at night. My question is if you can quiet down a V-8 then why don't they sell a muffler that can make a mower whisper quiet. Our heat index here is 108 - 111 daily, the grass is just about gone as we have been in a drout for the past couple of years, won't have to worry about mowing much longer I quess, problem solved.

9. Restless28

Restless28

In the afternoon when all hint of moisture is gone.

The jack wagons with dirt track race cars on both ends of the block cause enough grief for the neighborhood on weekends in the 0700-0800 range.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

:rofl::rofl:

I would start my lawn whenever I feel like it. But my lawn is small and I use a one bruce power push reel mower and my asthmatic wheeze is not too loud. If I had a gasoline powered lawn mower I would probably wait until 8 or 9 especially on weekends. I would also want to know what kind of shifts my neighbors work. 9am might be 3am to someone who works midnights.

11. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

If your not up by 7am, your used to the loud morning noises.

As for our 40 acres that we call a yard.......about 1030am is the earliest I will start but that's so most of the dew can be dried up.

12. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

I actually mow during the hottest time of day. A little sweat and a cold shower afterwards makes the beer taste better.

13. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

A friend of mine built his home about 35 miles out of town in the mountains. A few years ago he sold it and bought a home on the golf course. Said the view from his back yard reminded him of the peaceful countryside he was used to.
    The first day after moving into his new home he comes into work all ticked off.
    He said" Do you know they mow the golf course at 6am?":rofl:

14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I can't hear my neighbors mow so I can only assume they can't hear me. A wild hair made me buy a motorcycle dynomometer last year and I don't do any sessions (weekends only) befor 10am. I've been told it can be heard for a mile or so... HH

15. Slackinoff

Slackinoff

I thought I was the only one! Good post :supergrin:

16. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Before making any early morning noise, phone your neighbors to see if they are awake yet.

:headscratch:

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

He took my answer!

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Woo, WOOOOO!

Dats only inda mownin! It's lahk analaam claaak. Woo, WOOOOO!

19. Altaris

Altaris

I live at the end of the cul-de-sac, so I can see down the whole street. Even in the Texas heat I never see anyone start before 9am. Though at 9 you can usually hear/see several mowers starting up. IMO there is no reason to start before 8am ever, and you won't be liked by the neighbors if you ever do.

edit: I have usually had too much to drink the night before, so I usually don't start until around 11am.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  20. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

I start at 7:30am.

Don't have much choice.

:wavey:

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine