Ear Cropping: Correct or Cruel?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by cutler686, May 21, 2005.

1. cutler686

cutler686 10-12

Not sure how i feel about this subject and wanted to get some other opinions from fellow pet owners.

I am currently in search of a Doberman pup, so I am going to have to make the disision in the near future.

opinions, thoughts, ideas???

thanks

;c

2. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

We always have cropped our Boxers ears. Seven so far.

It used to be required to Show them, but not anymore. Even the Germans, who set the Boxer standards, are relenting on the cropped ears.

If you do decide to do it, make sure you pick a Vet that is good at it. I have seen some real hack jobs or the ears were cut to short.

And prepare for a couple of weeks of daily bandage wrapping and wound cleaning.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Cosmetic. Unnecessary. We never cropped the ears of our Boxers. We had 3.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Not at all. Or, at least, not always.

If a Great Dane or similar dog does not get cropped as a pup, they will spend their entire lives being driven to distraction by ear problems.

That's a crime in itself, IMHO.

Thing is, some breeds can't handle having moist ear canals, which is why they were cropped up in the first place. When their ears flap over there is a perfect laboratory for growing germs, mold and livestock on either side of Fido's head.

I can't think of too many good reasons for docking a pup's tail other than a gross deformity, but there are actually some very good reasons for cropping the ears of some breeds of dogs.

Ask your vet about it.

5. DennisP

DennisP

We had our Dobie's ears cropped, He took it well, I think all Dobies should have their ears cropped for looks as wellas avoiding ear infections. Ourt Lab suffers from constant ear infections, it is a royal pain in the but.

One thing to point out, find the vet who will do it before you get the pup. Seems that fewer and fewer vets are doing ear cropping. Just a bit of advice, and hope it helps.

Dennis P.
    P.S. Good luck with the dobie pup, they are the best dogs bar none.

6. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

some may say it is cruel, but my neighbor has a Lab that has had chronic ear problems for several years. she finally had to take him in to get a "cropping" of sorts to hold his ears a bit differently.

maybe Dobies were originally cropped for the reason, i dunno.

I wouldn't rate it as any more cruel than having dew claws removed or spaying and neutering though.

i would NEVER have a cat declawed, but thats a bit off topic ;)

7. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

My wife and I have talked about this from time to time. We lost our dobie Thor due to a liver problem. He had is ears cropped. My first dobie had her ears done to. My wife has owned a dobie that did not have its ears cropped.

I believe that a dobie should have its ears done. Is it cruel, I don't think so. None of my dogs had any problems with it. Some vets are getting away from doing the ears. My old vet still does them, our current vet doesn't.

If we get another dobie (it is unbelievably hard right now) the ears will be done.

8. cutler686

cutler686 10-12

thanks for all the opinions

sorry for your loss Steve

;c

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Now, wait a minute...

Isn't this an obvious trend in modern medicine, to prescribe drugs for the sole reason of getting paid to treat the side effects of the earlier prescriptions?

Why should veterinary medicine be any different?

Maybe this is why these 'newer' vets won't crop ears. They know there are hundreds of $$$ worth of infections in the offings, and that would hurt their bottom line to negate that possibility for $40.

Nasty, but likely.

And, Steve, you know Thor is waiting you in the field near the Rainbow Bridge, don't you? Sorry you have to be apart for a while...but maybe it would help you to look at it this way:

"Don't cry because it's over...

"Smile because it happened!"

10. DennisP

DennisP

fastvfr,
    Don't cry cause its over, smile because it happened. That is pretty good way to look at things.
    I am definitly going to try to look at things that way from now on.

Dennis P.

11. W Turner

W Turner

I have never owned a breed where cropping was an option, but if/when I do, the ears will be done. Every boxer/Great Dane/Dobie that I have ever seen looked unnatural to me with the uncut ears.

My parents Great Dane is a beautiful black, but he looks like an overgrown lab

Boxers look ok, but they don't have that alert, watchful appearance with the soft ears

Dobies with soft ears look like black and tan coonhounds to me.

Bull

12. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

they are...just cute as hell w/o cropped ears.

with them, they look ferocious and such.

dobies are cool pups :)

13. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Cropping ears reminds me of circumcision--not necessary and painful to the recipient.

Nor would I personally dock a tail on a dog, but having said that, there are times I wish our RR Cody's tail WAS docked...it sure hurts when he smacks you with it!

14. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

i was cropped when i was young, don't remember it.

form follows function, and i have a nice aerodynamic feel! :cool:

i dunno about docking tails, that seems unnecessary, but i don't have much of a problem with ear cropping or dew claw removal, as i've seen dogs in pain from not having them done.

if i had known about the dew claws, i'd prolly have had my pups done when she was fixed...a buddy's dog caught one on something and ripped it out bad. very bloody and painful.

neighbor's dog had chronic ear infections until she had the "operation" done. now he is a lot more mellow ;)

15. protozo1

protozo1

We've got 2 great danes now. We've never cropped our dogs ears and we've NEVER had any ear problems, usually dogs with ear problems are because of inattentive owners or the dog has longer fur which can keep moisture and gunk in the ear canal. We really like our danes uncropped. I do see it now as simply cosmetic surgery and unneeded. I have seen a bunch of dogs where the crop didn't come out very good. The ear tips flop over or they are cut too short, get a good vet if you're going to do it, but I wouldn't. Your doberman will look great without it done. It will also look more like a normal dog, less intimidating which can be good with idiot non dog people. It will still bite the same if you've got the dog for protection.

16. BillK@tcmhmrs.o

BillK@tcmhmrs.o

I understand your context, but thought I'd share. I am a cat lover (as well as dogs). There are a group of us that catch feral kitties in the neighborhood, we take them to a local vet, get them neutered and shots for feline leukemia and rabies, and then they dock their right ear. This way, when we recapture tham ( as we do on occasion) we know they've been fixed. Believe it or not, in three years the wild kitty problem has gone way down. The little buggers can't reproduce faster than we can get em fixed.

17. loandr.

loandr.

IMHO NEVER crop.Period. Again JUST my opinion.
    Loandr.

18. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

I disagree. Our Dane has never had any ear problems.

Spoken like a man who's never been hit in the face by the tail of an excited dane. It's like a freak'in whip man! lol ;) So far it has ALMOST given me a black eye, knocked over my 3 year old, left marks (read as dents) in the drywayy, and knocked COUNTLESS cups, glasses, etc off of tables and TV trays.

19. TechGal

TechGal PooDoos

20. TechGal

TechGal PooDoos

I messed that quote up some how- OOPPS ^8