close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eagle photos

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by T. Harless, Jun 12, 2006.

1. T. Harless

T. Harless

Sometimes your job blows, other times it's a gift. This is the gift part. I have to shoot fledgling eagles. These are from today

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Pretty. Must have been fun stalking them. Was it in WV?

3. T. Harless

T. Harless

Nah, that would be too glamorous. I can see the nest from right outside my office. Plus we have a web cam on them 24/7.

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Hehehe... You just deflated the story. You need to take lessons in telling tall tales. Can you imagine what a tale of self-sacrifice you could make out of getting those pictures? You could even get invited to the White House if you told it right. :joker:

5. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Nice pics.

perhaps, you'll know. I've been searching on the net with no luck. I've been trying to find if there's a law stating how close you can get to an eagle's nest. another photographer told me that the distance was 400 feet.:shocked:

I've searched and searched, but can't confirm or deny it.

6. T. Harless

T. Harless

Thanks!

I can't imagine that 400' would be the case, but I'll see what I can find out. This nest is closer than that to the road. It is, though, on a federal installation and access is posted closed inside a certain distance. Since I work for the USFWS, and they're not really babies now, I was told..."just don't climb the tree." I imagine mom would take serious issue with that anyway. You DON"T want to mess with mom. Nearing a six foot wingspan and tallons the size of your hand, when she says you're too close.....she ain't foolin'

Do check out the web cam link in my 2nd post. It's very cool.

7. blinkin357

blinkin357

Please provide specifics on your settings, lens, camera, etc. We're doing more bird shots here in Florida. I'm using a Canon 20D with a 80-200mm lens. I'm looking at a 100-400mm EF lens next. I'm using a Manfrotto tripod with a pistol-grip head. I sure makes the job easier.

We're doing a lot of Photoshop enhancments too. What a product that has turned out to be.

8. T. Harless

T. Harless

All with a Nikon D1x or D100 and a Nikkor 600 f4 lens. Like you, on a Manfrotto /Bogen tripod but with an Arcswiss monoball head.

Here's a cool one from Friday. No photoshop voodoo involved.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

OK, I have seen that last pic somewhere in the last few days! Was it posted somewhere else here? Or where did I see it? :)

10. T. Harless

T. Harless

I only shot it on Friday. The only other place is on the blog section of the Eagle Cam website The live feed was down and they needed something.

Here's a link to a little .mac website I threw up with about a dozen of my eagle photos. I'll probably update that later with the stuff I shot this morning.

Here's a cool one from this morning. One of the adults.

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Then a fellow animal nut probably emailed me a link or the pic from the blog.

I wish everybody could be so lucky to see an eagle soaring in person at least once in their life :)

12. T. Harless

T. Harless

I agree. I see these guys everyday and I'm thrilled every time.