close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

E85 - Worth It Or Not?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KirkG, Apr 29, 2012.

1. KirkG

KirkG More Cowbell!

My wife and I will be buying a new vehicle in the next few months and we're noticing more and more are Flex-Fuel friendly. Some have said that the less MPG you get with E85 negates the price difference and others have mentioned that E85 isn't as "good" for your vehicle, for one reason or another.
    What say ye?

2. Ragnar

Ragnar

I stay away from it because I get worse mileage and the price here doesn't make up for it.

3. SunGunner

SunGunner

E85 is only good if you are running forced induction and using it for performance purposes. In a normal car you will use 20-30% more fuel.

4. Half-Breed

Half-Breed ..... CLM

That pretty much sums it up.

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

I have a Ford Sport Trac E85 vehicle. I sometimes purchase the E85 simply because I can but yes I use more fuel and get less mileage.

6. norton

norton

I burn alot of E85 in both my Chevy Truck and Malibu. It does deliver lesser mileage, but around here the price is generally at least 30 cents a gallon less. I like the idea of helping farmers in my area who raise the corn used to produce the fuel.

7. Z71

Z71

I bought a little short-wide Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V8 that's flex fuel capable.

Problem is that there ain't a E85 pump within 60 miles of my house.

My brother lives in Iowa...and he and his wife drive flex fuel vehicles and sometimes run the E85. I asked him the economics of it. He claimed it to cost approx. the same as regular gasoline per mile. You burn more E85...considerably more....however it costs less per gallon.

8. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

At one time E85 did cost less enough to justify the more fuel you burned. In my area, the price difference is no longer enough.

The only advantage E85 has is emissions. If your focus is the amount of emissions you place in the air, it's your flavor. IMHO, it should cease being produced; E85 is just driving up the price of corn....which relates to many foods and animal production.

:wavey:

red

9. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

No. Its a scam. Even here in the corn belt E85 is only pennies in price different, and does not get nearly the mileage.

The only use I have ever had for E85, as a mechanic, was in my hi-po camaro engine.

10. ronin.45

ronin.45

Around here you couldn't find any if you wanted to. Every article I've read says the lower price isn't worth the worse mileage.

11. sourdough44

sourdough44

12. fjrdc

fjrdc

20% less MPG... Supposedly cleaner BUT how can you equate if you burn MORE fuel to go the SAME distance?!:wow:

13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It does clean out fuel lines, tank, etc. In winter it removes "need" for gas line anti freeze type products. (truthfully if you keep tank over 3/4 full you won't have issues with contstantly run engine.
    I.E. only time I had issue with gas is when car was parked with 1/4 tank for 2 months in winter then had to use it for 200 mile trip in 20 below stuff.... (pre E 10%)

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

Paying for a product that can't compete on its own merits without government intervention isn't "help" it's welfare.

15. devildog2067

devildog2067

Not once you take into account the additional energy/fuel used to produce the ethanol in the first place, although the exact answer depends on how you do your math.

Ethanol fuel from corn is a stupid idea, no matter how you slice it.

16. Ragnar

Ragnar

You've bought into that load of crap?

Using FOOD to make alcohol has done one thing - raised the price of corn, which affects beef prices and loads of other foods. In other words, any savings in energy production - which is probably 0 - is more than exceeded by increases elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  17. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

NOt when you consider it has 105 octane equivalent (no real octane is in there so it is only octane equivalent). This means higher boost and/or high compression can be run. Basically, it is cheap race fuel.

-Dana

18. Averageman

Averageman

We are pretty screwed when we start burning our food.
    I would stay away from it.

19. Cmacc

Cmacc

The mileage difference is about 20%. Here in Iowa the price difference varies from 17% to as much as 22% less per gallon.

I agree that the subsidies from the government are generally not palatable. But it would be hard to argue that the wars in the Middle East are not motivated by our nation's appetite for crude oil. Thus, the wars are a form of subsidy and no small price is being paid.

Those who are asking that ethanol produced from corn be "banned" by the government are going down a slippery slope. Would you also ban kids making pencil holders with macaroni glued to the outside? Would you outlaw the use of peanut butter to get gum out of someone's hair? The use of mayonnaise to remove water rings from wood furniture? The use of fruit and vegetable extracts in hair products etc.?

There are nearly 90 million metric tons of soybeans produced in the United States each year and soybeans are used in a wide variety of products. Soybeans are used in industrial products, including oils, soap, cosmetics, resins, plastics, inks, crayons, solvents, and clothing. Soybean oil is the primary source of biodiesel in the United States, accounting for 80% of domestic biodiesel production. Soybeans have also been used since 2001 as fermenting stock in the manufacture of a brand of vodka.

I don't know the answer to the tough questions but this propaganda about the immorality of using of food stuffs to produce other products does not seem legitimate when it is used against the corn growers and processors only.

20. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

But how many people eat Tofu? In the USA that is not generally considered "food." ( actually like tofu if fixed correctly).

-Dana