close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

E series recall and resale value

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by harlenm, Feb 17, 2010.

1. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Just found out about the E series recall. Called Glock this AM and mine is on the list. Need to send it to them to replace the frame. I was given 2 options, either get a brand new serial number, or get the same one from Austria. Difference is about 1 month longer to get the same number.

My question is that I was planning on selling the gun, and was wondering if having a frame with one serial number and a barrel stamped with another will affect the resale value.

Thanks

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

To some buyers, yes.
    :supergrin:

3. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

OP: Depending on the condition, if it has Austrian proofs and what you would like to get out of it...

I would say get the same serial number. Me, personally, I shy away from buying guns with mismatched serial numbers. If it takes a month to get it, no worries, I bet you'll make up for it on the sale end.

4. cooden

cooden

Glocks hold their value actually pretty well. So if that means that only getting $400 -$450 on a NON-recalled model as opposed to only getting $300-$350 on a RECALLED model, I would say YES, that's a pretty big hit. I would buy a Glock used over any other used manufacturers handgun.

5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

If they change the serial you may have go through an FFL transfer and pay the FFL. I don't know if makers are required to do that. When Glock was only using the same serial on the replacement frames they would just send it straight to the owner.

6. harlenm

Can be shipped directly to me either way. The only difference is 6-8 weeks for a new number, or 10-12 for the same*.

*it's the same serial number except there is a 1 in front of it. So it will be EVN*** to 1EVN***.

7. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

That's how they did mine. They were only offering the same serial number with a 1 added at the time and it took a very long time because it was early in the recall. They got so backed up that they started offering new serial numbers but some people reported they had do an FFL transfer and some people claimed they didn't. I guess if the number comes back as a replacement for the original at the maker it shouldn't make a difference.

8. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

If it was me, I'd wait.

9. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

What do you mean "E" series? And where does one go to check his own gun for recalls? I suspect that my trigger might need a new gun on it.

10. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

The three letter serial number range that begins with the letter "E". Glock tried a cheaper way to make the frame rails and they ended up being too weak. Officially, Glock doesn't call it a "recall" but rather a frame replacement if the owner happens to ask about it, but owners aren't notified of the defective frames.

11. dakota359

dakota359

Wait and get the original serial number. You will be happy in the long run.

12. G36shooter

G36shooter

I have a mdl.21 E prefix, Glock told me some of the guns in that lot may be affected some not, but to inspect the frame after shooting, I shoot this gun alot and have shot it alot, no problems so far. Now if I decide to get the upgraded frame do I send the whole gun or just the frame?

13. harlenm

Send the whole thing to them. They do a full function check and replace anything else that needs replacing.

14. Guatariccan

Guatariccan

I sent my G21 E series frame back to Glock and asked for the matching frame from Austria. It's your original serial number followed by a -1. They told me 8 weeks wait plus another 8 weeks to get the frame from Austria. I got mine back a little bit over 5 weeks time. So I think they give these huge turn around times so you don't call them on the exact day of the week they quoted and ***** at them saying where's my stuff. Just my experience. :whistling:

Oh and I just sent the frame.

15. GS19classified

GS19classified

Does this apply to any Glock that starts with a Serial number "E" ?

16. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Don't just send it. You need to arrange with Glock before sending it and they will explain how to do it and what's required.

17. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Glock originally claimed it wasn't all of them. The list of the included numbrs gets longer as time goes by. There have been some reports of broken rails on Dxx-xxx series Glocks, but Glock claims none of them have the weaker rails but they will replace the frame after it fails. If an E-series model has a "1-" prefix then the frame has already been replaced with an upgraded frame.

18. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Older Glocks have longer rear frame rails with a radius turn from vertical to horizontal. Glock switched to a stronger steel alloy for the frame rails to alloy the rear frame rails to be made smaller, lengthwise front to back to save money. At the same time a cheaper method of forming the rails was also used to save money. Had Glock used the original radius the shorter rear frame rails would have been strong enough with the new steel used, but Glock formed the frame rails with a sharper right angle bend that weakened them too much. Comparing the weaker rails to stronger rails the difference can be seen. The newer stronger rails are still shorter from front to back. The "good" rails have more of a "curve" than a sharp bend in them. This is looking at the rear frame rails.

I had mine replaced and didn't get any photo's of the weaker rails. If somebody has a Glock that Glock says is on the replacement list, maybe you can take some pics of the rear frame rails from the rear view of the frame with the slide removed.

19. BigJoe13

BigJoe13

I have a Dxx-xxx G23 with longer rails in back. I just compared it to my Lxx-xxx G19 and the rear view of the rails look to be the same in reguards to the bend angle.

I fully disassembled the G23 after purchase 2 weeks ago (it's a used gun) No sign of cracks in the ejector block cavity of the frame or outside.

20. harlenm

Will do it right now.