E-Ink E-Reader recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DoubleWide, May 16, 2016.

1. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I think my Amazon Kindle DX(?) has kicked the bucket. It's an older one with a keyboard and buttons. What new models are recommended for e ink readers? Is back lighting worth it? How are the touch screens for controls? Do you switch pages accidentally?

I don't want anything that's not e ink. I use calibre to convert formats as needed. I don't use 3g or even wifi. I don't normally use the Amazon site for books. I never used the keyboard. Really ease of reading and flipping pages is the main thing for me. For size, I guess the size that fits in a big back pocket

2. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

I love my 2nd gen Kindle Paperwhite. I wouldn't get another one without the light. The touchscreen is great.

DoubleWide likes this.

3. rudeguy

rudeguy

Paperwhite is the gold standard.

The Voyager is top shelf if you want the best.

DoubleWide likes this.
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I guess you have already said you only want a dedicated e-reader, but...

I would never buy one that is limited to being an e-reader.

I use several apps - mostly Amazon Kindle, these days, to read on my iPhone, iPad and PC. The great thing is (besides finding loads of books from $0 to $2 on Amazon), when I read a little on my iPhone at the office, then get home and sit down at my PC, it syncs to where I left off - then I walk in another room and pick up one of my iPads and it syncs to it. So I have a PC, a laptop, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones and I can read the same book on all of them. Also, reading at work makes a better impression if anybody that walks in thinks I was just checking a message on my iPhone.

Then, also on my iPhone, Ipad and PC, I can use Overdrive to log in at my library and check out books for free, or read books downloaded from places like Project Gutenberg. I also have the Nook app if I want one from Barnes & Noble; Bluefire reader, that I haven't used in so long I forget what it's for, and maybe some others.

And all of those apps are free.

DoubleWide likes this.
  5. rudeguy

rudeguy

That is actually horrible advice.

E-readers are great if you read books. Especially e-ink readers. They are much easier on your eyes than tablets or laptops, are much smaller and the features are geared towards one purpose instead of 111,000,000 like a phone or tablet. Also, an e-reader won't distract you with notifications about your aunt's cousin's deadbeat husband like a phone or tablet.

I'm glad you like your solution but your advice...no...your demand that people don't buy an e-reader is uneducated and ignorant.

DoubleWide and ucfgrad93 like this.
  6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

"demand"?? :rofl: Well, at least you live up to your name with that idiotic response.

7. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Thanks for sharing your experience, but for me, a dedicated e-ink reader is so much better. Less eye strain and super long battery life. I already have a Note 4 which will be upgraded in fall. A personal laptop, a work laptop, and a Fire that's collecting dust. I torture my eyes enough without reading a book on a lcd screen for hours at end.

8. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Thanks. I'll check out the paperwork and voyage when I'm done traveling. I'm assuming the voyage will be overkill.

9. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I like the dedicated ereader. I have my phone in my pocket if I want/need one of those apps, but I like the long battery life, small size and cheap price of the dedicated ereader.

DoubleWide likes this.
  10. jilverthor

jilverthor

I can attest to the Paperwhite being great, haven't got to play with the newer Voyage or the brand new king of the hill "Oasis". I could see the Voyage, but I see no advantages that could cause me to justify getting the Oasis. And that is saying something since I tend to try to go for the best of everything. YMMV

All in all, I think it depends on what you want to spend whether you get the Paperwhite, the Voyage, or the Oasis. I have been happy overall with the touchscreen with minimal accidental page turns. I bought it when it was the top model and had I waited until the voyage was released, I would have liked that for the faster update speed. The Oasis's distinguishing features are even better battery life (when equipped with the cover), and dedicated buttons to turn pages in addition to the touchscreen.

Here is a pretty good comparison link: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Ereader-Family/b?ie=UTF8&node=6669702011

DoubleWide and ucfgrad93 like this.