E-Dub

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Caver 60, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Caver 60

Caver 60

https://www.ktbs.com/news/arklatex-...cle_a51622ba-0a1c-11ea-a447-2b4a15478788.html

Wonder who gets the coffee and inflight lunches, since they did away with the tail gunner?

The E-dub was appreciated when in a hostile environment. I'm sure they have even better ECM today, then we did back then. But in the Vietnam days the D model had better ECM equipment than the other model B-52's. We always got the latest upgrades first, because we were doing the heavy hauling over there.

BTW on that long gunners crawl through the bomb bay, that was only used inflight, if the gunner had to come forward for some malfunction, like loss of pressurization. There was an entrance hatch into his compartment for use when the plane was on the ground.

He had to have a tall maintenance stand to use for climbing into his entrance hatch when the aircraft was on the ground. Once inside his compartment a ground crewman would roll the stand away. Or on the ground, he could simply crawl down to the right aft wheel well and climb down the gear to reach the ground, or vice versa.

Another name for the tail gunner was the 'Aft Compartment Commander'. And most of the windows on the gunners compartments had LEFT written on the aircrafts right side window with a grease pencil, and RIGHT written on the aircrafts left side window. That way they could relate to the pilots, when describing a threat or when the pilot asked them to clear RIGHT, etc.

Edit That file footage of the bomb release was either and emergency safe release, or an emergency armed release. Not a normal release. They always show that because it looks impressive. And I doubt they do things like that with dumb bombs these days. More like Vietnam era footage.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Some just drive while others do the actual work.

:D

3. Caver 60

Caver 60

^^^ I was just a glorified chauffeur, who drove the others to work.

WeeWilly, Ftttu, wyntrout and 3 others like this.
  4. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

One the C-141, we had highly educated and trained Officers, flying the E's around from party to party. We could, on occasion, even get them to buy beer. :tongueout: :D

WeeWilly, Ftttu, Caver 60 and 2 others like this.
  5. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers 23 Year member of the 9mm Cult!

Thanks for posting interesting post like this, I appreciate it! :cheers:

:waving:

WeeWilly, Caver 60 and Ramjet38 like this.
  6. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Used to live in Bossier City, next to Barksdale AFB.

No B-52's then, they had plenty of A-10's flying around though.

7. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

When I was a kid my grandpa and I used to sit out on the back porch and look at aircraft with binoculars. He used to tell me all the time, "Look! Look!... that one there is a B-52! Probably flying a-bombs from Bergstrom to Barksdale." When I got older I would joke, "Look! Look! the bomb bays are opening......oh god something fell out of it!"

8. willie_pete

Somebody probably said that in Goldboro, NC.

One safety away from blowing up part of NC.

goldsboro.jpeg goldsboro (2).jpg

;)

9. Caver 60

Caver 60

Taking off out of Guam, we frequently saw that Russian spy trawler (I mean fishing ship) around the area, and sometimes it was pretty much under us.

We joked about opening the bomb bay doors, just before we passed over it. Never did. Don't want to be the ones to create an international incident.

10. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

You could have bombed them with TP. :rofl:

WeeWilly, pgg00, Slackinoff and 4 others like this.
  11. Caver 60

Caver 60

Yeah. They got a lot more serious about installing more and better safety devices after that incident.

12. AdamRodgers

I believe I have said this before, my family would not be here if that had gone KAABOOOM!!! :eek:

As the crow flies and the radiation floats, that crash sight is about 9 miles from the old farm I was raised on..

Glad that last safety didn't get tripped. ;)

13. Caver 60

Caver 60

A search will turn up lots of hits on this incident. Here's one.

https://www.history.com/news/document-reveals-1961-nuclear-close-call-over-north-carolina

BTW I was on one flight where we had a fuel leak in one wing. We were on our way to Nam from Guam loaded with iron bombs. Fortunately our fuel leak wasn't as serious as the one those guys had in the wing of their aircraft.

WeeWilly, Ramjet38 and AdamRodgers like this.
  14. AdamRodgers

Thanks for the link, there fuel leak must have been a awful bad they lost alot of go juice in a short time.

15. Caver 60

Caver 60

^^^ The source I found below, said they lost 37,000 pounds of fuel. That would create a tremendous lateral unbalance, which the pilot would have probably been unable to control.

If I remember correctly, the G model had a different type of wing fuel tank, than the D model which was my primary aircraft. I was never qualified in a G model, although I got to fly one twice.

"Three years later, on January 24, 1961, two bombs fell from a Strategic Air Command B-52G bomber when a fuel tank in the right wing developed a leak during midair refueling, lost 37,000 pounds of fuel in two minutes, caught fire, and exploded, causing the aircraft to break up over Goldsboro, North Carolina. Five of the eight crew members survived. The explosion caused structural failure of the right wing at 8,000 feet after the crew had bailed out. This in turn resulted in two Mark 39 hydrogen bombs separating from the B-52G during airframe breakup."

AdamRodgers likes this.
  16. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Jeezuz! Who knew? I remember the Nuc bomb incident in Europe in the '60's I think. Big Nuc warheads deep in the Mediterranean Sea. It took several days before they found them, IIRC.

AdamRodgers and Caver 60 like this.
  17. willie_pete

The two Mk 39's probably thought they were on a bomb run and tried to do what they were designed to do.

IIRC though , when the tritium reservoir was discovered, it was full and had not been delivered to the primary. That would have meant a fission explosion maybe, but not the full 3.8 MT fusion yield even if all the safeties failed. The battery that charged the caps probably wasn't activated either.

Titan II had a battery that activated in the launch sequence that was used to charge the firing capacitors. In the Titan II Damascus explosion where the warhead was blown out of the silo, that battery had also not been activated so there was no chance of a full yield, though the weapon could have split open and contaminated the countryside like the Palomares accident.

AdamRodgers and Caver 60 like this.
  18. willie_pete

Palomares, Spain in 1966. B-52 and KC-135 mixed up in a mid air refueling. 4 bombs lost; three fell to earth, one splashed down in the Med. it was lost for 10 weeks or so. We plowed up a big part of Spain and brought it back to the US.

The search for the water bomb was based on Dr. Craven's models. He later was able to find USS Scorpion using the same methods.

Half a dozen people killed on both aircraft.

Ofc.JL, AdamRodgers and Caver 60 like this.
  19. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

That was it. Thanks, Willie.

willie_pete likes this.
  20. thespork

thespork

There's a documentary on the incident in Damascus Arkansas.. my god, what a cluster fornication

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Caver 60 likes this.