close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

E-Collars

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Justin lewis, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Justin lewis

Justin lewis

I figured i would start a thread about E-Collars so we can discuss them. (features, brands, stories, etc....)

I use a Dogtra 1700NCP (LCD Screen)

This is the best thing i have bought for my Doberman. I use the low stim method. I have found this helps drive rather than destroy it and she is learning and having fun while working.

Anyways i just wanted to open a thread up where everyone can discuss E-collars. There are allot of people that stay away from e-collars because they assume they are cruel because there is a shock(stim) involved. When in fact they are very humane vs a choke chain.

2. BexarWolf

BexarWolf Got Milk?

My only comment on shock collars is this: Put one on, let someone "stimulate" you and see how much encouragement it gives you. I'm not flaming in any way. I've just found that positive reinforcement goes a lot farther than negative when it comes to training dogs.

3. Justin lewis

Justin lewis

I actualy will stick the prongs on my face to show people it dont even bother me. Like i said i use very low stim. Im sure if i was to crank it up and stick it on my dog it will destroy her drive but i dont, that is plain stupid.

My dog is 7 Months and she knows these commands in German....
    Sit
    Stay
    Down
    Bite
    Out
    Heel
    Shake hands (with both hands on command)
    Find
    Bring
    show teeth on command
    Bark on command

we are working on compitetion heeling now.

And best of all she loves to go out and work every night when i get home. She loves to be with us all the time, so the collar is not affecting her drive one bit if anything it has helped build her confidence and drive. I reward her with treats and verbal and she goes nuts.

Anyways everyone has there methods. I just find the ecollar the most humane and effective.

4. BexarWolf

BexarWolf Got Milk?

And I applaud your results and effective use of the collar. Some folks don't know the difference between low and high. Like you said, each has their own methods and what works for some won't work for others.
    :dog:

5. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

positive reinforcement is certainly the mainstay when training an animal.

when training some things, however, sometimes a very negative consequence is needed.

for instance, it is better to have a dog that is shocked for a couple seconds, once or twice for crossing a line or not listening, than it is to have a dog that goes into the road and is maimed/killed by a car, or doesn't heed your command to come and is hurt or killed because of it...

just imo...

6. ktx

ktx strong dartos

Glad I saw this thread, just today I was considering an E-collar to help train my 17 mo old German Shepherd. He's a big boy and I think this may be easier than physical corrections with a prong collar, especially with training 'come.' He's a pretty smart, but hard dog, and it takes pretty hard corrections for him to notice. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

7. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

do a LOT of research, or consult a professional trainer.

GSD's are VERY smart dogs, and need a VERY smart handler/owner.

anybody who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks is full of it, since my 37 month old GSD recently learned how to open my bedroom door when i'm not home, so she can get hair on my bed :freak::supergriN:

8. ktx

ktx strong dartos

Yep, I'm doing the research now. I've found www.leerburg.com as a good resource, and I've picked up a useful Basic Obedience DVD from here. Thanks.

9. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

how do you get a dog to show teeth on command??

10. ktx

ktx strong dartos

I was wondering the same thing, that would be kinda neat. Scooter does that enough when the garbage man or the meter reader comes. I'm pretty sure he made the meter man crap his pants last week. The guy hopped over the fence without looking and Scooter took off full speed towards him growling and barking. He just froze with his hands in the air. I was cracking up pretty hard seeing his face and watching the guy waddle away with his legs spread apart kinda bowlegged. That's what the 'Beware of Dog' sign was for.

11. Justin lewis

Justin lewis

What i did was found something that made her show teeth which happens to be me making my first to fingers like a claw and open and close them. For some reason that triggers it, so i praised her with a treat, then i added a command with it. Now i do both at the same time and she will do it. what you want to do is slowly phase out the finger part. I never use the collar as a correction unless the dog knows the command. I make sure the dog understands the command before i use the collar to inforce any correction then reward with praise and a treat. It is amazing what a dog will do if you give good praise.

12. amd4me

amd4me Coffee Snob

+1 QFT

13. Justin lewis

Justin lewis

What kind of dogs are you training? I'm courious to know becuase evey place that I have seen that trains dogs use some sort of device ie. Choke chain, pinch collar or an e-collar? I use the pinch and e-collar. I refuse to put a choke chain on my dog for longterm health reasons.

I want to know how you guys train a working dog by just using positive reinforcement? Because I can see a dog being very testy and I definaly wouldn't feel comfortable off the leash.

14. amd4me

amd4me Coffee Snob

I have had 2 dogs.
    My first was half wolf and half chesapeake bay retriever.
    The second is half dalmation,border collie, and lab.
    He is a complete spaz and he was abused.
    So I used positive reinforcement with him and no scolding.
    And for my first dog I had to yank that choke chain for all I was worth.
    It took about a year of good training before she was in good shape behaviouraly.

15. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I use e collars, specifically Tri Tronics, on my hunting dogs. The main reason is that that they give me a long arm. I can't do anything to my dog when they are 100, 300, or 500 yards away. Positive or negative. After a short while the shock isn't necessary. I can tone my dogs with the same effect.

I also use shock collars for cattle training all of my dogs, except the little runts. In that regard I knock the hell out of them. I want my dogs to associate barking/chasing/harrasing cattle with severe pain. Not because I want my dogs in pain, but because messing with cattle is a death sentence and pain is better than dead.

Shock collars are effective and valuable, but they aren't the end all be all of training. Like any kind of authoratative training the personality of the dog needs to be kept in mind.