Dyno'ed the Rock last night with interesting result

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Jul 29, 2005.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

These guys came out to the bike night with their trailer mounted DynoJet dyno and charged $25 for horsepower/torque curve measurements.

Long story short: peak 90-hp, peak 71-lbft. It was their first time doing dyno outside of their shop so they didn't have everything planned for, so no printer for printout. The horsepower curve was fairly linear with a minor, shallow negative curve dip between low and mid-range RPM. The torque curve was OK but not great. Some minor dips there too but otherwise flat. It does ramp up quickly though. One of the tester told me that the torque came so sudden that the bike bucked quite a bit in the bracket and wanted to jump out of it. I was playin' it real cool, "yeah, man, that's how BMW flat twin does its bizness." :D

Bike definitely could use a good fuelling remap. I'm waiting for DynoJet to come out with their Power Commanders for BMW motorcycles. I'd like to see what a K&N filter plus a custom tuned PC can do for the Rockster.

2. Rosey

Rosey

Dynos are fun, although it's sort of a love-hate thing with me. I've rarely gotten the numbers I was hoping for. I'm too optamistic, I guess. :)

You may already know this but for the benefit of those that don't, here's some interesting dyno trivia for ya':

The horsepower value and the torque value will always be the same number at 5252rpm. In other words, on a dyno chart that shows HP and torque curves, the lines always cross each other at 5252rpm. This is true for all engines under all conditions.

When I learned that I thought it was the wierdest thing ;5 until I figured out that HP is simply a function of torque.

HP = (torque x RPM) / 5252

Anyway, 90-HP and 71-lbft is nothing to scoff at. Stock pipes and all? Is this a GS1150?

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Not stock pipe. Remus Y-pipe to replace the catalytic convertible and Remus Revolution can with the baffle removed. The Rockster is the R1150R with a wild paint job and suspension bits from the R1100S.

4. Rosey

Rosey

Gotcha. I don't know why I was thinking GS for some reason. ;g