Dynamite

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

Anybody have any dynamite stories? It used to be so common you could buy it in any farm supply store. Dynamite is frequently to this day discovered in abandon old barns and sheds. Any of you oldtimers grow up with dynamite readily available?

/

2. John43

John43

Type in dynamite in septic tank in Texas if you want a good laugh.

3. janice6

janice6

I never had any contact nor first hand connection with Dynamite.

However:
    My town was known as the Granite City when I was growing up, and the Granite sheds for cutting the stone and making stuff from it, were all over town.

Each of these places had large blocks of Granite straight from the Quarry, some still on the RR Flatcar. More often than not, These block still had one or more potentially active electrical blasting caps in drilled holes, from the Quarry.

Some of us kids would look for wires out of the holes, and pull the blasting caps out of the block. Mostly, we did nothing with them. Occasionally a kid would set one off on purpose and sometimes lose an appendage.

The city was always telling kids to stay away from the caps, but kids didn't listen.

4. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

My grandad had a gold mining claim up in the CA gold country. He had three shafts, but by the time I was helping him, only one active. We followed quartz veins and used dynamite to blast piles of rock out which we would then haul out of the mine and smash up with a giant mortar and pestle kind of thing, then pan that for "colors". You would be amazed how little rock was blown out with eight sticks of dynamite, not like in the movies where half an mountainside gets taken down...

I frankly don't know where he bought it, but I am pretty sure it wasn't real hard to come by per terrorist days. As long as you counted the shots and were sure all fired, it wasn't very exciting.

5. 2bgop

2bgop

My grandfather still have several boxes of it when he died. I would guess that was mid 1980s.

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

And what happened to it?

7. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I have a few blasting cap stories. Most involve hornets nests.

Never messed dynamite. Used gelite though when I was a teenager.

8. 2bgop

2bgop

Lost in a flood.

9. automatic slim

automatic slim Former "Walmart Shopper"

I had some dynamite last night, and I don't mind telling you about it. Good Gracious! :supergrin:

janice6 likes this.
  10. janice6

janice6

1070 WDIA is the heart & soul of Memphis! America's first black radio station, playing classic R&B.

automatic slim likes this.
  11. automatic slim

automatic slim Former "Walmart Shopper"

Tampa did it first....

I always had a lot of respect for someone who dealt with explosives. Women or whatever, you're dealing with something that can tear you to pieces. You have to be very careful...:supergrin:

12. Caver 60

Caver 60

I grew up during the days when any local hardware store sold it. Never had much experience with it, other than helping a friend do some blasting. I did shoot my share of cherry bombs and M-80's.

But I knew an old man who's left hand was missing. I asked what had happened. He was a retired moonshiner. There were stills all over the country where I grew up. He was drinking to much of his own corn while doing some blasting, and he lost that hand. That changed his occupation and drinking habit.

13. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Thanks to automatic slim, I enjoyed those a lot.

My grandad taught me to handle it in fairly specific ways, the most care being given when in close proximity to the blasting caps. When around the blasting caps, we used wood implements to handle it to help avoid static sparks.

By itself he was never very concerned handling the sticks and the wooden boxes they came in, he told me more than once it would just burn in a fire (although I never saw him burn it ;) ). The dynamite my granddad had was always stored in the mine in a locker (cool and dry). Back then, the dynamite he had used saw dust as the carrier which I think was more problematic than the way they make it now. I know he didn't like using dynamite that was really old. I remember him saying that when it got really old, it could become less stable. I think it had something to do with the nitro sweating out into the waxy wrapper, in liquid form nitroglycerin is pretty unstable.

14. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I was staying with a friend in Montana and we decided to get rid of some old 40% by shooting it with our .22's. The sticks were leaking bad and I wouldn't touch them. He picked up the old rotted case and carried it up the path a bit and would take the sticks out one at a time and we would shoot at them until they went boom. About halfway through the case a neighbor from the other side of the woods called my friend's wife and asked what was going on over there. She told the neighbor that her husband and his friend were just sighting in their deer rifles. I bet the neighbor wondered what caliber rifles those were.

15. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

We used it when logging. For blasting holes under windfalls so we could get a choker around them, and for splitting logs that were too big to fit on an off highway truck. Often times used a case at a time to split the big cedars. The company we contracted for would show up with a truck and off load how ever much we wanted. I got to create multiple explosions a day on some of our logging jobs.

16. 2@low8

[email protected]

Janice6, Elberton? Just passed through there an hour ago going back to Athens.