close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DXO, wow!!

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by ponykilr, Mar 17, 2007.

1. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

I just want to let everyone know about what I have been doing the last few days.
    I have not in the past given much thought to shooting raw because I really say no need. My jpg pics have worked for a long time, and even my big prints are great. recently however, I shot a small banquet and made a huge goof. I did'nt look at my histogram while shooting, and didnt notice my exposure comp. had been set on -2! I had been experimenting the previous day and I had'nt switched back. I saved the images enough to be usable, but the results were not up to my desired quality, although the customer says they like them...

I decided it was time to shoot NEF, and I started trying to figure out how i wanted my workflow to go and what program to use.

I tried in no particular order:
    Nikon Capture, Bibble, Silkypix, and Lightroom.
    I just didnt like any of them. The end results were good, but getting there just was not easy for me. I just didnt click with any of them.

Then, I tried DXO. wow, instant clickage.
    It is by a long shot the easiest to use, best controls, and best results of any of the programs I have tried. I see no reason to look anywhere else. I read and now believe that the RAW converter you choose is very personal, but if you are looking, give it a try. here's a link, it's a kinda long download, when setting up, choose "expert" as your default.
    http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/free_demo

And because of what I have read about 3rd party converters, I just wanted to add...
    I have compared DXO converted images against Nikon capture converted images, and I much prefer DXO. The images have less noise and seem smoother and have better color.

Also, even if you don't shoot RAW, DXO does wonders for JPGs too.

All of the opinions above are mine alone and please do not beat me up if you have a different view, just try it.

2. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Dont look ant the slightly different contrast, but look and the color difference, and the less noise in the DXO conversion. These are around 50% crops.

Nikon capture 4

[​IMG]

DXO PRO

[​IMG]

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I have a nagging impression that some detail in the face of the figurine has been obscured in the DXO conversion compared to the Nikon Capture due to the strong noise reduction application. Were those default settings for noise suppression? Can they be adjusted?

I would be interested in seeing a typical "$1 banknote shot" test to better evaluate the results on fine drawings.

4. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

The noise reduction is fully adjustable, but these are both default. In my opinion, the "expressionless" figurine has lost no detail, remember these are reduced in quality after uploading to photobucket. I will try to upload more tests soon.

Here is the list of what this program does that I like. Other programs may do some of this, but this is the only one that has it all IMHO.

1-awesome conversion quality
    2-great cropping mode
    3-1 click WB dropper adjustment, or choose from a list of presets,
    or slide a slider
    4-awesome preset adjustments designed for your particular camera
    and lens(from lists you choose)
    5-super easy use and navigation of "project" oriented workflow
    6-lens distortion corection
    7-tilt/shift type correction
    8-perspective correction
    9-can save tiff and jpg at same time for each image
    10-ability to save images in a new file, the same file as source, or
    file of your choice.(very lacking in lightroom)
    11-save whole "project' at one time, into same file.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That's a good point. A 100% crop from the original conversion would be easier to evaluate.

Curious, how is it improved compared to other packages? Does it provide an option of a thick opaque frame for better visualization of the final selection?

6. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

The cropping has options for certain sizes and also you can pick totally custom sizes, then drag the whole thing, the corners and sides just like in PS. Other programs that I tried were much harder to use and didnt have the custom sizes.

Another feature I really like is the toggling back and forth between the image mods and the original. Very easy, just left click and hold on the image to see the original, or choose to have original and modified side by side. I really tried to use and like them all, but this one just really works for me. It is so little known about, I want to get the word out. I bet I will rarely use PS now, as most of what I need is in DXO PRO.

No other program I tried has the tilt/shift, lens and perspective distortion correction tools. PS CS2 does, but I have a perfectly good PS7 and this combined with DXO will handle my work with ease.