DVD RW drive will not recognize DVD disks

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Emily W Trott, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Emily W Trott

Emily W Trott "Gary" is now a part of my past

It would not recognize Video DVD or Audio CD disks so I thought it might be because my computer did not have a sound card. I bought a sound card and now it will recognize Audio CDs but DVDs are still a blank. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Thank you! Gary

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Do you have any DVD playing software?What DVD program are you using?

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

4. Emily W Trott

Thank you for the suggestions Washington. Unfortunately my problem is that the drive wont show the files that are on the DVD. It shows the files on a music CD but not on DVDs. Once that problem is solved I'm going to keep filehippo in mind. Gary

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Try removing the DVD drive from devices and let Windows "find" it again.Or try Control Panel>Add Hardware.

6. Emily W Trott

I don't think that is the problem since the drive is recognized and can read audio CDs. I'm wondering if maybe the problem is that it won't read a DVD because I don't have a video card installed in my computer. Until I put a sound card in it would not read an audio CD so maybe the same is true for DVDs. Thank you for all of your help and support. :)

7. GlockX35

GlockX35 Guest

That would not be it. You do have a video card its just on the motherboard.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

You have some type of video in your PC.That's all you need for DVD's.What kind of DVD?If it's a writeable or a rewriteable it might be the wrong type for that drive.Try a regular movie DVD but you need DVD movie software for that.

9. Emily W Trott

Dear Washington,

It is movie DVDs that I'm putting in but shouldn't the machine at least read what files are on the disk without having to have any DVD movie software? My problem is that when I put in the movie DVD, and then click on the drive in the windows "Control Panel", I just get a blank screen with no listed files. Thank you for all of the help that you have been so far. Gary

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

If they are regular commercial movie DVD's you need movie DVD viewing/playing software.Does you PC list the drive as "DVD Drive" ? Look in Start> My Computer.

11. Emily W Trott

Yes it does.

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Windows can't see the files on a movie DVD without movie DVD software.

13. Emily W Trott

Thank you Washington, you've been a great help with all of this. Now if I could ask just one more thing...what is a good "movie DVD software" that I can use? I've already installed ripping and burning software so I'm guessing that now I need something more? Gary

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

15. Emily W Trott

Dear Washington,

I want you to know that I greatly appreciate all of the help that you have offered me and thank you for taking so much time to help. What I am experiencing is a problem with the DVD-RW drive being able to recognize the files on the movie DVDs that I insert into it. Without being able to do this it doesn't seem that the movie software (which I did download & thank you for it) will be of much help since it has to be told where the movie is. I'm going to keep working on this and am very grateful for the assistance that you have offered. Stay safe and have a good Sunday! Gary

16. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

The free DVD movie software isn't always as automatic as the commercial software.I don't use my PC to watch movies very often but you might have to do one more step than just inserting the DVD.When DVD movies started installing unwanted software I quit putting them in my PC and just watch on the DVD player on the TV.I also make a desktop icon for Media Player Classic which I'm sure shows up by default.

17. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Also reboot the PC after installing the program although it might not be required.

18. Emily W Trott

Thank you for all of the help! It looks like my problem is solved either due to downloading the updated firmware for the drive, or from hooking it up on the same cable as my hard drive rather than the CD drive. Whatever it was I'm on my way and once again I really appreciate your time assisting me. Gary