close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dvd-Rom, Dvd-Rw, Cd-Rw...help with definitions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Romadoc, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Romadoc

Romadoc

Is there someone who can help with these, and other, computerese? Is there some site with definitions. I'm trying to decide what to order for my new computer.

2. newshooter.45

newshooter.45

CD Rom is a standard disc reader. It will read the discs that install programs, music cd's, etc. A DVD RW is a drive that you can use to create DVD's. The RW means that it can READ and WRITE DVD's. So the same holds true to a CD-RW. It is a disc drive that can READ and WRITE CD's.

DVD-ROM means that it will simply read or play DVD's but not write or burn to a blank DVD disc

Most drives now I think are standard CDRW which means you can "burn" or transfer your music files, regular files to a disc.

DVD discs hold more information I think they are like 4gig. WHile CD's are only 700mb.

A DVDRW will only write to DVD discs and A CDR/W will only write to CD's.

Hope that helps. I use CNET.com for electronic purchases and for other info.

3. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

4. podwich

podwich

CD = Compact Disc
    CD-ROM = Compact disc read only memory
    CD-R = compact disc recordable
    CD-RW = compact disc rewriteable

DVD = Digital Versatile Disc
    DVD-ROM = DVD read only memory (like a pre-recorded movie DVD)
    DVD-R, DVD+R = recordable DVDs, + and - are two different technologies but both are generally supported by current drives
    DVD-RW, DVD+RW = rewriteable DVDs, also both generally supported
    DVD+R DL = dual-layer recordable DVD, about double the capacity of non-dual-layer

The optical drives you can buy will state what they'll read and record, while also giving you a speed (given in xX, e.g. 16X DVD+R). This refers to the multiple of the original base speed (which was 1X, and in the case of DVD+R, was 1,385,000 bytes per second).

5. Romadoc

Romadoc

If they list a machine with a DVD-ROM, will I also be able to use discs such as Turbo Tax or do I need an additional CD-ROM or CD-RW (the latter to burn some discs)?

6. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Computer DVD-ROM drives can all read CDs. If it isn't explicitly stated as also being a CD-R/W drive, all it can do is read DVDs and CDs. You'd need a CD R/W or DVD-+RW. DVD writers can also write CDs.