close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DVD-ROM drives

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tvov, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Tvov

Tvov

Hey folks, looks like I have to get a DVD-ROM drive for my computer. Pretty much all the latest programs are coming out in that format.

My computer specs:
    Gateway PIV 2g, WinXP
    1g RAM (two matched 512 ram)
    60g HD
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro graphics

Right now I have a CD-RW drive on it now. On NewEgg, the DVD-ROM (that's the right term for them, correct?)drives seem really inexpensive, like averaging $20. I thought they would be more? It should be easy to install, I hope?

Which are good manufacturers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

(I did a search, and didn't get anything. Also, for whatever reason, I am terrible at putting in the correct search terms!)

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Very easy to install. When you pull the old drive out, just put the new drive in exactly the same way. Double check the jumper on the back of the drive. From the sounds of your setup, its going to be the only drive on one controller. So the jumper should be set to Master or cable Select.

Personally, given there's very little difference in cost, I'd get a DVD-R drive, and you'll have some type of mass storage also. Around 5 gigs per blank DVD R.

As for brands, only brand I use is Lite On

IGF

3. Tvov

Tvov

Thanks... As far as I can tell, I have a blank space that a DVD drive should fit in? Or... do the DVD drives also read/write CD-ROMs?

I am still surprised at how cheap they are.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

You can run both drives if you have space.The DVD-ROM brives will read DVD's ans CD's but won't write anything.The DVD-R/DVD-RW drives will rear and write both DVD's and CD's.If you get a DVD_ROM drive keep your CD-RW drive to burn CD's.Some PC's especially older ones won't allow two writers of any type.They can only have one writer.The DVD writers write both DVD's and CD's.If you get a DVD-RW drive you will most likely have to remove/disconnect you CD burner drive.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Now how exactly are you going to set this up? I was under the impression you were going to replace the CD Rom Drive with a DVD R drive.

In my experience, a DVD R drive will read CD's just fine, writing them I've not have much luck with. So I simply switched to DVD Rs

If you want to install the DVD in addition to the CD Rom drive, its not hard, but is a little more complicated.

Take the Faceplate off of the drive bay cover.
    You'll need to check and see what the jumper setting on your CD Drive is. You'll likely want to set it to Slave, and the DVD R drive to Master. Hook the drives up to the IDE cable(You may have to buy one that will hook up two drives).

The audio cable(the small red/black cable) is a bit diffferent. If you have two audio out connectors on your motherboard or sound card, you can then run the audio cable from the DVD drive, to the free audio out port on the motherboard/sound card. If you only have 1 audio port, you'll likely want to disconnect the audio cable from the CD Drive, and connect it to the DVD drive(so you'll have audio with movies, etc.) Then hook up a power connector to the new drive. You can use either a splitter(which probably comes with the new drive) or a free power connector.

Thats really about it. Turn the PC on, and see if it detects the drive.

IGF

6. Tvov

Tvov

Thanks for the replies. I guess it will be just easier to replace the CD-RW drive with a DVD drive that will also read CDs. Looking again, the DVD drives that also copy or burn (RW right?) are in the $80 range. Some of the terminology is tripping me up here!

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

there is also a third type of drive called a "combo" drive.These read CD's and DVD's but only write CD's not DVD's.You can find these for a bit cheaper than DVD-RW drives.

8. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm not disputing what you're saying, but I also have that exact drive. Whenever I try to burn a CD using Nero or Deep Burn, I can hear the disk repeatedly starting and stopping, and then the disk is never recognized so that I can burn it.

DVD's however, no problem at all. I had a Plextor prior to being turned on to Lite ON a few years ago, and I won't even begin to explain the problems I had with it...

IGF

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

It all depends on the media(disk type) you're using.

DVD R(DVD Recordable), means the disk can be recorded on one time, and usually 1 session(unless you start using other features of your burning software). Multiple sessions notwithstanding, you burn a DVD-R one time, with all the files you want on it, then its done, and cannot be burned again.

DVD RW(DVD ReWriteable), means files can be deleted, rewritten, added, etc. to the disk w/o using multiple sessions. I personally haven't had much luck with CD RW/DVD RW, and just stick with the R disks. Usually, R disks will be cheaper than the RW.

The drive that RaiderRodney linked for $32, will burn either CD R or RW, or DVD R/RW, it all depends on what type of Disk you're using, is how you're able to record on it.

IGF

11. Tvov

Tvov

Well, that looks like pretty much exactly what I want. I do believe I am going to go ahead and order it. Thanks everyone for your help, especially IndyGunFreak.

12. RaiderRodney

What kind of media do you use? I have a big stock of Verbatims and have never had a problem with burning CD's or DVD's. I have heard nothing but good things about Taiyo Yuden though and plan on trying those next time.

EDIT - I typically burn CD's with Itunes. I also burn all CD's and DVD's at the lowest recommended speed for the media. For example if the media is rated 4-32X...I burn at 4X.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I usually use Memorex. Next time I get a blank CD, I'll try changing the burn speed and see if that helps.

IGF

14. RaiderRodney

Now back when I made backup copies of certain games I had memorex and about 75% would crap out on me. That was why I switched to Verbatims and have been using them ever since. You should try and pickup a small pack of them or Taiyo Yudens and see if it helps too ;)

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If I ever absolutely need CD's, I'll pick up some Verbatims and see how it goes. What the heck is Taiyo Yudens?

IGF

16. RaiderRodney

From what I've read on them they supply for several manufacturers...even Verbatim. Which explains why some people report getting a "bad" batch of a certain brand. Even Verbatim has 2 or 3 different places that make their disks. But Taiyo Yudens are all made in the same place with the same specs every time. Only down side to them is you will need to get them on the net somewhere....will not see them in retail stores...as Taiyo Yudens anyway :p

17. Tvov

Tvov

When people say "burn a CD", is that just a fancy way of saying copy onto a CD?

18. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yes it's the same except copying to CD is a bit different from copying to a floppy or hard drive.You must use the CD writing software,so it's not as automatic.But CD burning and CD writing is the same.

19. malkore

malkore

zero problems burning with that DVD drive with CD's. sadly my nero didn't have nero vision, so I've yet to burn CD's.

get a DVD writer...$10 more than a DVD Rom...you owe it to yourself :)

20. David N.

David N.

The Memorex cd's I got were made by Ritek, and IMO, are next to worthless at any speed. Buy something better.